Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What is your child scared of? And what do you do to calm them? Tell Legal & General: voucher to win

167891012»

Replies

• My son is scared of dogs. 

• Our eldest Daughter Jasmine is 7 now, but when she was around 3 or 4 she was really scared of spiders. For her 5th Birthday we booked out the local village hall, and the animal man came bringing a variety of animals. He had snakes which are one of her favourites, frogs, lizards, and many more creatures, and he also bought a Tarantula

The animal man told the children lots of facts about each animal and they were even allowed to hold most of them.

I really think that getting up close to some of these animals and learning more about them really helped to conquer her fear. She has since held other spiders when we have come into contact with them, and is better around them than I am at home.

• My elder child is 10 years old. She is very much scared of snakes. It is mainly because once she was bitten by a snake while she was playing in the park. Due to gods grace nothing much happened. From that day onwards she is very much scared of snakes. She never plays outside the house thinking that snake will come and bite her again. We tried a lot to move her outside the house but still there is no use.

• Growing up my childhood revolved around my un rational fear of the dark and I would do anything to avoid it. Mostly I would wake screaming if the lights were out and would have to go into mums bed to get back to sleep which seemed to take ages. Mum overcame this best by fitting a sensor in my room that made a light come on as soon as the sensor detected movement. It took me a while to get used to it but as soon as I woke I would wave my arms and on the light came on. Sometimes it detected movement just by me fidgetting in my sleep but I rarely disturbed from the rush of light. Best thing mum ever did

• we used to live in a flat then we moved out to a house with a garden, my little daughter was scared of insects and wouldn't go to the garden. we spent loads of time in the garden showing her insects, we took her to nature centres, butterfly gardens often and she loved the Minibeats adventure with Jess programme on CBeebies too. Now she loves them all. x

• My daughter is scared of fireworks. When we have fireworks in the garden, she watches through the patio window. She will come outside for the sparklers. It's probably not a bad thing to be scared of fireworks!

• One of mine is scared of spiders which is weird as neither of us as parents are. But I have been encouraging him to stay calm he calls us and we deal with it together. I think part facing f like that is really important so that he realises there isn't anything to be worried about! 

• My 4 year old has always been terrified of water (especially the sea) and water noises (taps, waterfalls etc).

I try and take him swimming as often as possible and encourage him to enjoy baths, play with water etc. I think he is gradually getting better. 

• I was always scared of the dark - my parents used to leave the 'landing' light on when I went to bed until I fell asleep.

• My twins are 3 soon and they're really afrais of ghosts. Especially my daughter Chloe. A ghost appeared in a child-friendly kindle game she had and since then she has been so frightened. But after some mummy cuddles and kisses and telling her that everything is ok, she'll smile and finally go back to sleep 

• I used to be terrified of the dark. My parents didn't make a big deal of it, but started leaving the landing light on and my door open which really helped :)

• Hello everyone, thanks so much for entering this competition and all your wonderful posts.

This competition is now closed and we will announce the winner on Wednesday 1st March, so please do watch out for a thread update! 

In the meantime we're going to lock this thread, but will reopen it tomorrow with the update. Good luck! 

• Hi everyone, we just wanted to let you know the winner of this competition is Mrsbear88

We'll be dropping you an email soon. Congratulations again and thank you to everyone who took part in this sponsored discussion. 

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions