Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What is your child scared of? And what do you do to calm them? Tell Legal & General: voucher to win

Replies

• I had forgotten all about it until I read your thread, but I remember when I was little being afraid of going up the stairs when it was dark.  There was a coat stand in the hall that cast shadows that made me think it was monsters.  My Dad used to carry me upstairs reassuring me as we went. 

• I was always petrified of deep water when I was younger after I nearly drowned. My parents tried their best, swimming lessons and one on one time with swim instructors but even now... it makes me nervous! 

• my son had a fear of tents play tunnels and anything else that covers his head so i started going in the tent and tunnels during playtimes and covering my head and doing peekaboo and slowly his confidence grew and now he loves to play in his tent and his favorite game at the moment is hide and seek 

• My children are not afraid of anything but I am and always have been terrified of the dentist. My folks didn't help but my son will stroke my ankle at the bottom of the bed when I have to visit to help me focus and keep calm

• My daughter gets scared of the strangest things. She is mortally afraid of mosquitos having seen in a book that they suck blood. I've tried to reassure her that we do not have them in the UK but she is still very fearful if they are mentioned. I calm her by listening to her fears and giving her a cuddle.

• My daughter is petrified of the dentist. We have had to read countless books, watch videos and talk for hours. Eventually we calmed her nerve by letting her younger brother always go first. 

• My son couldn't cope with loud noises so drying my hair, hovering, cutting grass in the garden etc etc were very trying!! He did eventually get used to it. He still cries sometimes when someone makes him jump by sneezing loudly, he's 2.5 now!

• The dark 👻

• I have always had a terrible issue with heights, and put it down to a cable car ride I went on as a very young child being the start of it.  I think the way to deal with any fears is to face up to it and not let it get the better of you.  Just today I've been walking on a narrow muddy path very high up on a really steep hillside, the narrowness of the path and the angle of the hill were making me pour with sweat I was so scared.  But I won't ever let something like that stand in the way of a good 10 mile stomp, fears can hold you back but only if you let them!

• My daughter is scared of going past graveyards when we're driving in the car. We have tried to reassure her but eventually we just put up sun shades and distracted her with music! 

• my daughter has always been scared of heights, climbing frames were always a problem, as well as lots of other things, a guiding hand and encouragement has helped, but she still wont do zip wires or tree climbing. we all cant be daredevils though can we?

• My son is scared of flies, or any bugs, when we open the windows in the summer and they get in the house he can't relax until it has been shooed out the house by wafting tea towels for hours on end in the vain hope the fly goes out the window... and doesn't come back in again.

• The dark. So always leave a little light on the landing :)

• My son is scared to go upstairs on his own, so we always go with him

• My Mum was terrified of spiders and passed that phobia onto me when I was a child so I was determined not to pass on anything that could be seen as a negative onto my daughter, so one day on a visit to a working farm, we looked at the reptile & rodent section it had on site, and she was up front holding Tarantulas, snakes, rats etc and she loved them all image  However she does have one fear which we just cannot cure and that is ants, but no matter what it always creates laughter for all when outside as the crazy dance is hilarious!  

• My youngest is afraid of monsters coming through his window and eating him. I can only assume a book has scared him! I tell him that monsters can't come through windows, and that I dont allow monsters in my house. 

• I bought little worry dolls and each night they can tell a worry to each doll and pop it in the bag and then place it under their pillow- I tell them it will help them to solve their own problems .  My son was less forthcoming so I usually waited until we were in the car sitting side by side but not having to face me straight on and he usually opened up.  We explored the causes and possible solutions and if it wasn't a solvable problem we looked at coping mechanisms.  Cuddles, reassurance and security all help them to cope and knowing they are loved beyond measure.  

• When I was younger one of my older sisters convinced me that when I turned the lights out at night a monster under my bed would try and eat me, I was afraid of the dark for years!

• I was always scared of spiders as a child so my parents took me to an insect house where you could hold a lot of the creatures. My mum held a tarantula and showed me that there wasn't anything to be afraid of. I didn't hold it myself because thats crazy talk haha. It helped calm my fear of the little ones though.

• Was afraid of the dark, not anymore though.

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions