Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What is your child scared of? And what do you do to calm them? Tell Legal & General: voucher to win

Replies

• Ok so my little one has two fears: lions and monsters.

Firstly, I say I eat monsters and so they don't live in our house. I also give him a kids dress up armour and shield to protect him against the monsters. It is working a treat!! I have read him happy ending books that involve monsters and lions so he now thinks of those instead of scary things! :)

• My son is scared of the noise that fireworks make so he wears daddy's very large ear defenders from work which always do the trick! 

• As a child, I was afraid of frogs.  When they jumped, they startled me so!  Every time I was out in the garden, the sight of one of those small, green, evil-eyed monsters, would have me flying back inside.

The fear never really left me, but I was determined that my children wouldn't be affected.  I regularly took them to the playing fields and woods, and never let them know if I spotted a frog.

Luckily they were never scared. but my fear is still a work in progress!

• My 3 year old is scared of the dark at the moment as his imagination has well and truly kicked in. He loves spooky things and Scooby Doo, which is great in the day but is causing a slight issue now at night time. He has a night light and we now leave the hallway light on with his door open a bit so he never wakes up in the dark. We also have a toy that lights up when you press a button which we put next to him so that he can press it if he needs to in the night.

• My daughter has always had a fear of locks on the toilet doors when you use public toilets, so I always stand outside with my foot underneath and chat to her the whole time reassuring her, she's getting better now with it. 

• For Logan it is a fear of throwing up - he has only been sick once when he was 13 months (yes I know I am lucky) however this led to a downward spiral to him eating new foods and now he only eats a very limited diet

• As a child i was petrified of escalators lol! Particularly going down them! I think it was the fear of losing my footing and falling all the way down! Im still not great now and always have to hold on ha!

• My 4 year old is often telling us his scares of the man in his head... 

He can wake up at night and won't settle unless his in our room. 

He had night terrors for a while but they have now stopped, he would wake the same time each night crying so we started waking him up half an hour before hand an popping him on the loo and this seemed to sort them out. 

As for the man in his head we have no idea we just tell him it will all be OK, and his to come and get mummy or daddy when ever he feels scared or worried. 

• Cotton wool! Absolutely terrified of the stuff! Don't really know where the phobia came from but my mother once wrapped herself up in the stuff and chased me!  Woke up a couple of minutes later to find I had actually fainted from fright ! 

• My son was ( and still is ) scared of spiders. So we had to buy a spider catcher for his room!!

• When i was a child i was scared of everything. I never had the confidence to try anything new, and was never encouraged to do so. This has had a knock on effect on me as an adult. Therefore with my kiddies i would say I'm maybe too encouraging but like to ensure they always try new things. My daughter in particular reminds me of myself when i was younger, and therefore I'm always making sure she tries things before she states she doesn't like it. She is scared of a lot of things but often once she faces her fears she is amazed that actually it wasn't as bad as what she thought it would be. I ensure i use plenty of praise, encouragement and positive reinforcement. 

• My little girl is afraid of the dark so i put on a night light on and leave the hall light on aswell.

A quick check to make sure she is OK and turn off the night light and close the door and turn the hall way light off on my way to bed 

• my lil girl is scared of the dark so we got her a cute night light

• my hubby got our little one a dino toy but she screams whenever she see it. we just keep it hidden away now

• to be honest, i haven't found anything my child is scared of yet. he is a very happy child and laughs all the time and is so curious about everything!

• When I was young I was terrified of cats, (I had been scratched by a neighbours cat)  so my mum got a kitten for the family and eventually I wasn't afraid. Now I have a kitten of my own! 

• I think my 8 month old has developed a fear of dogs. we have a jack Russel who she has no problem with but other dogs(especially ginger ones) she really dislikes. Typical as I love dogs haha. Hopefully she will grow out of it.

• I can remember being afraid of the stairs in my house. I don't know why but I always used to think that someone could grab me when I was going up or down them. I used to run as fast as I could :)

• My 18 month old little boy, Mason, is scared of the hoover bigtime. He will scream and cower in a corner while its on, so even though he now weighs a tonne... I carry him around and hoover singing his favourite Baby TV songs - Its like a high intensity workout lol! x

• I had and have a fear of the dark, and as a child this was made worse by my brother hiding in my wardrobe and then leaping out from it after I had got settled in bed. Today we have night lights but I certainly didn't , I think these lights are very comforting these days

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions