Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What is your child scared of? And what do you do to calm them? Tell Legal & General: voucher to win

Replies

• my daughter is going through a phase of being afraid of getting lost, not sure where it stems from shes not been lost before. ive found putting a random map in her back pack actually has helped!

• my child gets separation anxiety when left any where alone but i have found gentle encouragement followed by making the situation not stressful but not demanding she stays where ever her anxiety is focussed encourages her to pick and chose and this develops her accepting and enjoying her own space

• My son was terrified of the sound of fireworks when he was small. He used to always call the noises the 'bad guys'. So then we went along to his school display, and although he was anxious, he absolutely loved the fireworks! im glad he faced his fear!

• My daughter is afraid of the dark, we have to leave the bedside light on until she falls asleep and then we turn it off when wr go to bed

• When I was younger I was scared of the dark so my parents used to leave the landing light on until I was asleep :)

• My 3.5 year old son was scared of the dark but we've talked to him a lot and said we won't be closing his curtains for the night so he can see the moon ☽  It worked. He is now happy and likes his curtain open (doesn't mind the dark) . 

My daughter 2 years old is scared of the shortcut through the woods on the way to nursery but forgets about it every time when we start singing nursery songs or jingle bells,  jingle bells.. 🎶 so far so good. 

My 4 months old was scared of my daughters voice as she can be quite loud when she gets excited and happy. 😊 cuddles work to calm him down most of the time and talking to him with a smile on my face x

• My daughter is terrified of people dressed up as the mascot type characters similar to those you would find at holiday resort. Ever since she has been old enough to identify them she has either screamed and cried or hid behind me. 

As she's getting older (3 years old now) we have been trying to slowly introduce her to them and make it into a positive. She's still nervous but is less worried about seeing them now. 

Funnily enough, she's desperate to go to Disneyland to meet all the characters - I'm not sure this will go as well as she thinks! 

• My children are scared of sleeping in the dark.  So we have night lights in both children's rooms.  I think sometimes you just have to find a temporary solution that makes them feel safe, while still accepting that they are going to be irrationally frightened by things.

• When my little one was new born he used to fall asleep to the sound of me blow drying my hair. from about 7months he became petrified of the hand dryer sound in public toilets. He has a complete meltdown and isn't to keen on the hair dryer now either. I try my best to reassure him and familiarise him with the sound but he just doesn't like it. I'm sure he will grow out of it at some point :)

• I was scared of the dark as a child. My Mum used to leave the landing light on after I had gone to bed, otherwise I would be calling out all evening. 

• My little on is 12 weeks today and we've discovered she is afraid of the hairdryer which makes it difficult for mummmy to get ready lol! We haven't had the hoover on while she has been in the house yet but will let you know haha! 

When I was little I was scared of the opening scene of ET haha! 

• When I was a child I was scared of the dark. So my Mum used to leave the landing light on after I had gone to bed, otherwise I would be calling out all evening.

• I was never a big fan of dogs growing up - I'm still not to be honest!

My Mum & Dad once got a puppy & although I was very keen initially, when he actually came to the house, I was terrified! We ended up having to return him (luckily we knew the person!) - I wonder if I'd stuck it out, I wouldn't got through it!

As it is, I am very much a cat person & my son seems much the same way!

He's probably picked up some of the nerves from me - it's just the size of (some) dogs which unsettles me, & the unpredictable sudden barking! We have friends with dogs & he seems ok - so it's a case with us of a 'little & often' approach to exposure therapy! 

His 'fears' have been mild up to now - just a little nervous or unsure really around dogs, hand dryers (I think someone else mentioned this!) & the dark - so all pretty standard so far! When he is afraid, we offer lots of comfort & reassurance & try not to create too much of a fuss around it. 

• My children were frightened of the dark and whipped cream!

• My son is petrified of going swimming, he doesn't just need armbands, he needs floats, a rubber ring and armbands - might as well just give him a boat haha. We're hoping to overcome this fear by getting him into swimming lessons slowly but gently to encourage him to learn an essential life skill

• My niece was really afraid of sleeping in her room at night. I think it helps when you dont brush off the fear as its valid to them and is making them upset so soothing them when theyre distressed is helpful. When my niece stayed with us and when she was at home we would go up to her room together, look at ways to lessen the fear such as using a nightlight or leaving the hall light on. 

• My son is autistic so has a few fears, the dark is a long running one and I have put a coloured strip light on his bed to make him feel happier at bed time.  I tell him that I am only a shout away whatever time it is so I can go and give him a reassuring cuddle whenever necessary.

• I was scared of the dark when I was a small child. My mum used to leave the landing light on after I went to bed otherwise I would be calling out all evening.

• I was scared of the dark when I was a small child. My mum used to leave the landing light on after I went to bed otherwise I would be calling out all evening.

• Our 3 year old is pretty hardy as he has 2 older brothers so he isn't scared of much,  but he is terrified of being somewhere without one of us.  He will be starting nursery soon which he already cries about so we are trying to leave him for short periods with grandparents/friends etc to try and get him used to it.  

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions