Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What is your child scared of? And what do you do to calm them? Tell Legal & General: voucher to win

Replies

• I WAS ALWAYS SCARED OF THE DARK AND MY BEDROOM AT NIGHT

SO MY PARENTS GOT A NIGHTLIGHT AND THAT REALLY HELPED 

• My daughter developed a fear of the dark, we have now introduced a nightlight and a dimmer on the main light and this has helped reassure her

• I was always scared of the dark, so my Mum would put a nightlight in a little jar.  Obviously it went out at some point during the night, but by then I was sound asleep and it didn't matter.  I still find a flickering candle comforting.

• My 14 month old girl is afraid of the hoover - funnily enough, my 3 year old and 4 year old found the hoover very soothing when they were babies! I will carry her around with me whilst hoovering and sing to her which calms her down

• My 14 month old is afraid of the hoover which is strange because my 3 year old and 4 year old found the hoover soothing when they were babies. I carry her around with me and sing to her which calms her down

• I used to fill a spray bottle with water & put a label on it saying 'Scary dreams destroyer' because my son was scared to go to sleep as he often had night terrors. This done the trick as he would take the bottle himself & spray it all around his room to kill those nasty dreams! It worked for years! 😉💕

• I was always afraid of the house setting on fire, I don't even know where that came from. My parents gave me a light in my room to try and help but I think it was just a phase.

• My daughter if frightened of all fury animal, I try to get her to go near them with me but if all else fails run away.

• I was scared of being sick as a child and it got worse when I was a teenager. Mum was so supportive and eventually when I was sick once through a bug Mum helped me overcome my fear and held my hair out the way bless her, rubbed my back and calmed me down. It could of gone the other way- she could of told me stop being so silly etc and I could still have that fear.

• My daughter Jonna is scared of loud noises. If there is a hair dryer or vacuum going I try to calm her by smiling and hugging her. Allowing her to see the source of the noise helps as well.  

• I was scared of being sick as a child and it got worse when I was a teenager. Mum was so supportive and eventually when I was sick once through a bug Mum helped me overcome my fear and held my hair out the way bless her, rubbed my back and calmed me down. It could of gone the other way- she could of told me stop being so silly etc and I could still have that fear. 

• I've always been scared of being a parent. My parents never really helped with that, not sure how they could and thus I don't have any kids and probably never will.

• I used to be scared of pylons, I don't know why maybe it was partly to do with that advert in the 70's but my parents would avoid them for me on our days out :)

• For some unknown reason I as a kid, along with my brothers and later on my own children were terrified of thunder. We grew up in a tropical country were storms are notorious for their violence. In more than one occasion we took asylum under the bed to avoid the lightening that was without a doubt "going to hit us"

• My youngest Chloe up until recently was scared of Elmo for some reason. Strangely she was fine with the usually scary zombies, monsters and witches you get in Scooby Doo but there was something about Elmo that she just didn't like. Her sister loved him so we had DVDs and a soft toy in the house but we had to make sure they were always kept away from Chloe. Luckily they've moved onto new TV shows now so Elmo is retired in our house. I always remember hearing a door slam late one night when she was 3, walked out onto the landing and found an Elmo soft toy outside her door her sister must have left in her room lol! 

• My sensitive little granddaughter was worried about everything. I bought her a worry eater, which is a soft toy with a zip for a mouth. She wrote her worries on a piece of paper and put them into the toy's mouth. The next morning the worries had disappeared. It helped a lot.

• Our little boy (4 in May) has extreme anxiety going to pre school and it also terrified of hand dryers and most of all -babies crying. Absolutely petrified! Hate seeing him scared! He worries about school every night before bed and it's the first thing he asks about in the morning. He has speech delay and some mild sensory issues. I hope with all my heart he can overcome his fears before he starts school in September!  image

• For no reason at all, since he was born my little man is terrified of water...he even screams if he sees lakes or golf courses with water bunkers on TV! We are trying to slowly introduce him to large bodies of water (he's ok with the bath) like swimming pools, getting as close as we can with his fear being under control and distracting and having fun...we have no idea where this came from but we are working on it

• my youngest son is scared to get his face wet or put his had in the water at the swimming pool. he has just started lessons and gets upset everytime. I try to help at bathtime by encouraging him to wet his own hair use a wet sponge on his face

• My little Finlay has just turned 4, hehas decided he is scared of the dark. At bedtime we know leave hisdoor open and the landing lighton and he also has a torch on his bedsidetable and a nightlight toy if he wakes in the night.

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions