Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Tell Egmont about the special times you spend reading with your child – voucher and books to win

Replies

• We read lots in our house. We adore books! We live in such a tech-orientated world and our little ones are growing up in a generation where slowly but surely books are being shelved for good, and tablets, ipads, computers and consoles are taking over.  In our family we always make sure that we do bedtime stories and turn the tech off before starting the bedtime routine. Books during the day are lovely too but nothing quite beats snuggling down into a cosy bed and reading with your children. I have 3 so often we will all pile into my big bed and gather round a book (or 5), or I will get into my daughter's bed and read to her and them my boys individually. I am dreading the day where they say they no longer want stories anymore! My 6 year old can read independently now and he will very often spend his evenings in bed with a book. He is really enjoying being able to choose for himself what he wants to read about and learn from. I love that! I will never forget the first time I handed him a book of his own and said "give it a try" - He told me he couldn't. But he tried, and he found that he could! His smile was wider than a Cheshire Cat! I hate that his school had taught him that he could only read the books with the orange stickers. He will try anything now! 

Yay for books!

• My little boy is 8 years old, has classic autism & is non verbal. He absolutely adores "I am Sam" by dr Seuss. i think he enjoys the "sing song" style in which is written & is read. We read this everyday & sometimes several times a day. The record so far has been 17 times in 1 day!! Although he is unable to talk, he is able to mimic a couple of the words; Sam for instance. I love reading to him & it gives us a real opportunity to bond as he very rarely shows any signs of affection towards me. It's nice to cuddle up in his bed & read a book. My most favourite part of the day!!

• My daughter is 4 and currently in nursery. She is obsessed with reading and learning to read at the moment which is great. Currently we read twice a day, normally once after breakfast, she will choose a book and we read with either a milkshake or hot chocolate and we also read at bedtime. She looks forward to her bedtime story which helps me as she actually wants to go to bed! Her favourite book at the moment is Tyrannosaurus drip by Julia Donaldson

we love funny books and she loves ones with rhymes too & imagebright pictures, here is a picture I captured of her reading in bed the other night x

• The main time we do reading together is bedtime. My daughter gets 2/3 stories every night. My son is only 1 so we are introd him to the story telling. The first story is usually altogether and they love or Julia Donaldson stories. Then my husband takes my son to look at age appropriate books and I read with my daughter. She looks Elmer, princess poppy or Disney inspired stories. 

• My sons 19 months & 6 both love books, the big one is all about the information books and the little one loves rhyming stories. We always find time to cuddle up with a book before bed but I often find them looking at books on their own too 😀image

• Even though my son is 10 year's old we still enjoy bedtime stories we particularly like Julia Donaldson as an author and we have read all her books.

• My kids love to read a variety of book as they are 11 months, 2 years and 5 years old. They all love any Disney books, love very hungry caterpillar, any Julia Donaldson books like room on the broom and stick man. My 5 year old is doing phonics in reception so she's loves her books for that Luke biff and chip and fairy tale books. We like to read at night before bed as my daughter reads her school book then we read another book from home. At weekend we will read in the day if we are going out and won't be back in time for a story before bed. My mum always read with Me so I do with my kids image

• My daughter loves the classics - Charles Dickens, Lewis Caroll, Roald Dahl and Beatrix Potter - because they're magical and exciting. We always read together before bed and I read a chapter in the bath too :) 

• The Grimms' Fairy Tales, because they're magical, exciting (a little bit scary sometimes) and have truly inspired a love of reading in my children. We read after school for a while, and at night time before bed, when we're cuddled up in our pjs and ready for sleep 

• We always read after dinner, and after bath time before bed. Reading after dinner stops the kids form going straight to the TV, and having it as an after bath treat means that they're always eager for bath time! It helps them get settled down and sleepy before bed too. We love to read the Horrible Histories and Horrible Science books because they're funny, interesting and educational.

• I am a very lucky mother of 4 children, aged 8 and under, as all my children love reading. Real book worms. they read in their spare leisure time and we love trips to the library in town too. 

We all read every night togther at bedtime, I read to my 3 and 5 yo and they take turns to choose their stories, then I kiss them good night.

The older two have a chapter of a book read to them together each night, we love Secret Kingdom books, then they each choose a book to read quietly by themselves for half an hour to wind down from their day. Although they have been rumbled reading for longer with their torches!

I have never had to force any of my children to read, they have a natural love and respect for books, and for that i feel very, very lucky.

Charlie 

• My daughter loves to read Roald Dahl books, she loves the characters and enjoys the stories.

• My nephews love to read almost anything and when im baby sitting them and they want a bed side story they want me to read them enid blyton's stories as they love adventure ones 

• My daughter who is 9 and I read together at bedtime though not necessarily every night now as she likes to read on her own. She's currently reading malory towers and absolutely loves it! I can't keep up with her though so she always has to catch me up on the story! :-)

• imageMy little girl Neave is three and she loves reading together with mummy. She will ask many times in the day to cuddle up and share a book together which is great, I believe this has really helped with her speech. We like to read Disney books together as they have the best characters in them.

• We always set aside 30 minutes a day with our 4 year old for story telling, mainly of an evening when iv got his 2 younger brothers to bed.

He loves most book but his favourite is "we're going on a bear hunt and Pirates Love Underpants"

Altho Lennon cant read by him self yet he does love telling stories to his 2 younger brothers during the day  

• My 1 year old little boy loves to read books, he's fascinated with the colours and the way the pages turn, he gets annoyed if you try  to turn the pages for him as he likes to do it himself! His favourite at the minute is The Tiger Who Came To Tea , I think that's because I put on a big roary voice as The Tiger and describe all the details of the pictures in the book and point to each one as I do it. It's such a bright colourful book so he loves me describing everything on the page we are looking at . We always read at night before bed as it's a great excuse for some extra cuddles and we also read a couple of times in the day together too. Sometimes my son even brings the book to me and tugs on my trousers to be put in my lap for a quick story time. I always try to honour his requests if I can as I love how much he likes to read!! I hope my repetition sounds of The Tiger slurping his tea and eating his buns all contribute to help make him a clever little boy one day and when he's a forensic scientist or an astronought I'll remind him of this hahah! image

• My 1 year old little boy loves to read books, he's fascinated with the colours and the way the pages turn, he gets annoyed if you try  to turn the pages for him as he likes to do it himself! His favourite at the minute is The Tiger Who Came To Tea , I think that's because I put on a big roary voice as The Tiger and describe all the details of the pictures in the book and point to each one as I do it. It's such a bright colourful book so he loves me describing everything on the page we are looking at . We always read at night before bed as it's a great excuse for some extra cuddles and we also read a couple of times in the day together too. Sometimes my son even brings the book to me and tugs on my trousers to be put in my lap for a quick story time. I always try to honour his requests if I can as I love how much he likes to read!! I hope my repetition sounds of The Tiger slurping his tea and eating his buns all contribute to help make him a clever little boy one day and when he's a forensic scientist or an astronought I'll remind him of this hahah! image

• Bed time is the best time for us as it's stress-free and dedicated time for stories.  I have found that it's best to introduce new books during the day as he gets excited to read them, which isn't the point at bed-time.  Then, when he's used to them they get transferred to night-time stories.

• Guess how much I love you is a favourite of my three daughters.The biggest girl who's 13 now,loved acting out all the bits of the story. My favourite bit is love you to the moon and back,as my mum used to say love you up to the sky to us when we were little.My little one who is two now loves her nursery rhymes especially twinkle twinkle little star,and has the teletubbie lullaby Lala that she can't be parted with,goes to bed,in the car,everywhere!

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions