Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Escape from ‘No!’ land: Tell LEGO® Juniors your positive parenting tips. Toys to win!

Replies

• Being a good role model to start with. Praise the good and I find distraction usually works well. 

• I use distraction techniques and if that doesn't work I usually tell them that there will be no bedtime story if they continue, it always seems to work as they love the bedtime story.

• Instead of saying no to our four year old daughter we say we will see, and she accepts that, when we go shopping if she's good all the way around the store we visit the toy aisle before we leave for a little toy and we distract her with helping us find things, when we walk to school we see who can spot a certain colour car first etc 

• I like to give clear signals and keep my word. For instance

I never promise to do something or go somewhere unless I know it is definitely possible so that the little ones know they can trust my word.

• My son is 3 and had lots of energy and is extremely shouty! also when his tired he seems to misbehave and have a very short temper! i started a reward system with marbles (all different sizes) so when his good he gets a marble. if he start misbehaving ill ask him to stop and calmly say to him remember you marbles and point to the jar and he  9 times out of 10 will say oh yes and stop then he will get a small marble! once the jar is full he get a small reward! when his playing nicely, use manors, get ready for bed/dressed with out a fuss ect ill say well done have a marble and let him have the larger ones. its working really well so far and it sits pride of place in the living room so he shows off to the family when they come round :P ! :D (ordered it off of amazon so had a nice jar ect)

• We just say, if the monsters are shouting, "Let's think about your brothers/sisters and be a little quieter" x

• I think the best thing to do is to speak to them (rather than shout) as this can escalate. Rewarding good behaviour is a must as I feel we are far too quick to tell children off, rather than praise them for when they are behaving impeccably.

Trying to distract them also helps if they won't listen 😊

• Distraction works a treat! Let's paly with this instead 💕

• To get my 3 childrens attention whether it's to eat their dinner, tidy up, or get dressed I always ask them by singing them demands of what is needed, they always laugh and end up singing back " ok muummm" works everytime and has us all in stitches 😁 X

• We following a good routine and try and make things fun. We also use the naughty step technique which works really well with my 2 and 5 year olds. Consistency is the key thou!

• I find distraction techniques work great. Changing the subject to something they particularly like or like to do, but it seems to work best if you are also involved so that they don't see it as an actual bribe.

• my boys can really push my buttons at times, and i swear i can see them planning this before they even happen but like the saying goes Boys will be Boys and man mine fit that saying right down to the tee!

Joking aside because they a still young and i know that the simple things like putting the toys away or eating their veg can cause melt down over loads we try to make things fun.

my eldest has a reward chart which works well some times a little too well but he knows when its full at the end of the week he gets a wee treat, anything from an extra play date at the park to maybe a new pair of joggers or t-shirt.

my younger 2 are both at the stage where everything is fun to them...and my youngest has learnt NO and shaking his wee head before he could even walk! we try to get them to work together as they are so close in age.

We try our hardest to show our boys its better to work as a team,ignore the bad behavior and reward the good, loads of praise when they have done something really well or done something with out us asking.

i also know thats sometimes its not that easy when you have 3 small ones screaming and crying so we also do chill out zone, which is simply a small kids chair in the hall way which they stay on for a minuet for each of their year...so my 4 year old does 4 mins, my 2 year old 2 mins and my 1 year old 1 min and it works well for us.

• This weekend my 4 year old was playing every single instrument in the house loudly and repeatedly, I was at my wits end until grandma visited and told him his much blackbirds enjoy singing along with his music so he went to the garden and played there for the blackbirds instead. He was so cute, every so often he would stop and "listen to the blackbird sing along", an my ears finally got a rest. My mother is a genius!!

• I have a 7 year old son and a 6 year old daughter and just found out I'm expecting number 3!

My son has always been very laid back amd I find it very hard to fault him - where as my daughter is wild child - I tried all sorts of tactics from telling her each week I would buy a reward through a reward chart to the other extent she drove my so tiresome and exhasted I did go through a shouting stage which made no difference and wasn't enjoyed.

i realised she wasn't just going through a stage but needed me to make more time for her - talk and understand feelings and to separate time just for her - we became creative in cooking together and she helped me with Some jobs around the house with earning a couple of pound a week - BINGO !

• I encourage my little ones' good behaviour with lots of praise and discourage bad behaviour with distraction techniques.

• I've found the best way is to give the child two choices so that they feel that they are in charge - making sure that the one I would like them to opt for is the most likely for them to choose!

• i used to say to my daughter do you think stamping your feet is nice for the borrowers they may think there's an earthquake coming let's do them a picture to cheer them up dunno how but it always worked 

• To get my little ones to do something, I tend to make it into a bit of a game, like let me see how long it takes you, and i will count. They love that, and love to try and beat their previous record. 

Also, depending on what the job is, we like to do things together.. We always chant ''How do we work.... TEAM WORK'' We got it from a Children's TV show, can't think which one now. But that makes them smile, and we enjoy it :) 

• Turn whatever I need them to do and they won't into a song, ie 'my little one won't clean his teeth no he won't, no he won't, so we are going to brush right now, brush right now!' Bizarrely it works, however with the teenagers not so much as they just rap back at me!

• My little girl has just turned 3 and so she's more independent and vocal now, when we are out and about and she's not listening or I need to get her attention I simply put out my hands, call her and make eye contact with her, since the first time I did this she automatically came over to me and placed her hands in mine, i make sure I'm at eye level with her and calmly talk to her explaining what I would or wouldn't like her to do and she almost always responds by listening and calming down and we always end it with a hug. she's generally a very polite and calm child so having tantrums is not that often but I'm not sure how much longer this method will work for :)

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions