Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions

Best advice you’ve had from your parents? Tell Legal & General: voucher to be won!

Replies

• My parents advised me to do what made me happy, and not what I thought would make other people happy. That's why, 4 years ago, I made the switch from being employed in a job I didn't enjoy and that caused me anxiety attacks to being self-employed. I have less money, but I'm happier than ever! 

Our first baby is due in February, and I plan on giving them exactly the same advice!

• Mine was if you look after your pennies, the pounds will look after themselves, which is true 

• Growing up I was always told to pay attention in school and not be distracted by boys and music and stuff.  My mum wanted me to get access to opportunities she'd never been able to and while I thought it was just nagging at the time, I would probably not have gone to uni (three times) if she hadn't done it. (I was also distracted by boys and music but I kept that secret from her...)

• Dont go out at night or after 10pm in summer.  Will pass on this same advise as its safer to stay home 

• The best advice my dad gave me was "live for today but protect the future!" .....he died of a heart attack aged 64 a few years ago but luckily he had protected his familys future with life insurance. I give my kids the same advice now!

• Best advice given: trust your instincts
    Best advice to pass on: Trust your instincts

• The best advice i was given, and give to my children now is:

"You can do whatever you want to do, provided you work for it"

• my best advice was to never go to bed with makeup on and i have stuck religiously to this

• The best piece of advice my mum ever gave me was to always be myself and not try to be what I thought other people wanted me to be.

My advice to my children would be not to wish their teens and twenties away - to travel and make the most of being footloose and fancy free before they settle down and have commitments. That and to always try and have something in their savings for those unexpected moments.

• Never cry over someone who wouldn't cry over you :)

• The best piece of advice that my parents gave me was to do what I want to do and makes me happy, not what other people expect of me or want me to do. Those who matter will be happy that i'm happy and those who aren't, don't matter anyway. I intend on giving that advice to my children too because it's definitely served me well throughout the years!

• Make sure you have all your savings accounts and legal documents(willetc) in one place, up to date and easily accessed and understood by another person. 

• The best advice my parents told me was to not get worked up ove evening perfect and that i will be doing far better than I think

• I was always taught to save up for all purchases and never to take out a loan (except a mortgage) and it's worked very well for me. I was also told to buy what you need rather than what you want. I have taught these principles to my own children.

• My mum always said to me that people are generally selfish and if I was feeling paranoid about what people were saying about me she would say 'Nobody cares about you're doing'  just get on with it and don't let you own self doubt stop you from going out and achieving things.

• Never lose sight of your dreams, so work hard to achieve them no matter what!

• My mum always told me to use moisturiser every day - especially the neck, décolletage and hands, as those areas show your real age.

My advice to my children is to overpay your mortgage right from the start to clear the debt earlier.  I wish my parents had advised me to do that.

• Remember whatever phase you are going through with your baby to cherish every minute as good or bad it wont last forever, sleepless nights, colic or teething will all come to an end soon enough 

• Travel the world before settling down... Exactly the same advice I will pass onto my children! :) 

• My mum has always taught me to treat others how you want to be treated, beauty is from within and don't judge a book by it's cover. 

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions