Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions

Best advice you’ve had from your parents? Tell Legal & General: voucher to be won!

Replies

• The best advice I ever had from my parents was to live for myself - i.e. follow my dreams and hopes, no matter what other people thought. I would give my children the same advice - we only have one chance and you have to live your life for you

• As we approach our first child being born in Feb, the best piece of advice so far has been 'learn to control your gag reflex' as you will get covered in poop and pee..so try to stay calm and accept that this is going to be a way of life for a good portion of your first year... I'm watching horror movies, eating raw vegetables and brushing my tongue more often to try and gain control now... Wish me luck!

• always treat others as you would like to be treated. help someone if they need help and you are able. always tell an adult if you think something is not quite right whatever it is. respect others.

• 'The sun always rises and sets again tomorrow.' My parents reminded me of this when I broke up with boyfriends, lost my cat, or didn't get the role I wanted in the school play. Dad always put his arm around me after he dispensed this little quote, and I would always feel better.

Now I'm a mother myself I feel the best advice I can give to them is that honesty really is the best policy! I have found they can be influenced by friends, or the media can teach them to lie. It is important to counteract this by reinforcing the value of honesty. My kid's used to be afraid i'd shout at them if they told a lie so I try to let them know that I will always take the time to listen to them. I applaud their courage for telling me the truth, but follow through with any punishments you have stated in the past - If you go back on your word this is setting an example of dishonesty which can be counteractive

• My Mum & Dad told me to always ensure you have adequate insurance for things that could go wrong.Also never get yourself into debt.

• Never buy what you cannot afford ... save and purchase it ... don't borrow

• I was advised to do my best as I could not do more than that.  To my son, I say the same and to be the person he wants to be and is, kind and considerate for a start.

• From my parents was 'always treat people the way you want to be treated'

and to my boys 

always be yourself , save your pennies and the £££'s will look after you 

• My parents still give me sound advice to this day and I'm 38!

A lot of their advice was/is regarding finances, but they also stick to their guns on a lot of other matters, they're pretty wise people! Here are a few:

1) You get what you pay for. Don't buy cheap!

2) If you dont really want it, don't buy it

3) Dont get credit

4) Always keep money by for a rainy day

5) If he isn't working, doesn't drive, and still loves with his mother, DON'T DATE HIM!

6) Pay your bills

The advice I give my children, is to work hard at school, it's nearly over! Be kind to others but always have a voice and stand up for yourself. SAVE..you always need money and something always comes up when it's least expected 

• The best advice my Mum gave me was to work hard but always be sure to enjoy the fruits of your labour, spend if you wanted to spend, and enjoy your life, because you can't take it with you when you die! I always try to remember that and treat myself, and my family, when I/they want things - it keeps life fun =)

• from my parents . it has to be don't worry so much everything will work out . and to my children it has to be the same advice my parents gave me 

• Take care of your pennies and the pounds will look after themselves!  I have always remembered this advice and I try to save save a few pence here and there and never waste anything!

• The best advice my parents gave me was to be kind to everyone and to always be true to myself. Both have served me well

• The best advice/question I have received was if you are sick you go to a Doctor, if you have a broken leg you would go to hospital, if you have tooth ache you go to a Dentist. If you are struggling with day to day life because of dark thoughts, why would you keep it a secret and not seek help? 

I will teach my kids asking for help is nothing to be ashamed of, be it mental health or any other thing life may throw at them. We all struggle from time to time and need a helping hand to get us through. I will always be there for them. 

• Mum always said to try your best, and if you've done your best then you don't need to stress.

• My parents told me to always do what is right for me, my husband and our baby. Even if it isn’t something theyd have done, if it’s what is right for us then that’s what we should stick to (and they promised they would too!). My mum also always tells me to accept help when it’s offered. She visits Us weekly and is always asking if she can do the washing or ironing or cleaning etc. I choose not to let her, she instead looks after my little boy while I sort my jobs out. But I’d like to think in the future I will do the same for my kids and help them as much as I can. We all know babies can be hard work so a bit of help every now and again should definitely be taken!! 

I’d also like to take a similar approach to my parents when my kids have kids. I’ll always be there to offer advice if asked but otherwise it’s their children so it’s their way and I’ll respect that 💕

• my mam always told me to be myself, no one else is like you and will never be, if your honest and good in everyway, life with reward you.

• my mam always told me to be myself, no one else is like you and will never be, if your honest and good in everyway, life will reward you.

• The best advice I was given was to forget about the daily chores & to sleep when baby slept. I didn't listen to the advice & now looking back I wish I did haha! x

• I think to make the most of the early days! It passes in a blur, but having a tiny, brand new baby is the most exciting thing! And with all the sleeping they do, looking after them is pretty easy in comparison to as they get older! I'm trying desperately to make the most of every stage and not wish my little boys life away. But it's so hard not to look to the future and get excited.

A piece of advice that I now give to every pregnant woman is to measure the length of baby when they're born! I have no idea how long my baby was, I first measured him when he was around 3 months old. And I so wish I knew how long he was born so I could compare. 

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions