Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Weaning your baby on to solid food: share your best tips with HiPP Organic. Voucher to win!

Replies

• Sit them at the table with you for dinner, so he understands that you eat too, theyll pick up that food time is food time and they'll want to copy you

• My eldest was a bit late to wean as she was premature and when she did take to more than just small tastes she refused solid food at breakfast although she was happy with her bottle. I tried everything and as I was trying to get ready for work at the same time it got really stressful. So my advice would be to not get stressed and to work around your baby. Just because the book says she should be having 3 solid meals by a certain age, doesn't mean that works for everyone. She took to it when she was ready.

• its important to introduce lots of flavours because there will be some that your baby just doesnt like.

• You can expect it to be messy, but mashed banana was a firm favourite.

• Try, try and try again, it's the only way :) Always different kind of food it's very important!

• Start off slowly, I used to give a kind of cereal like a rice it was from a packet but worked, and also rusks, babies love that, but do not get too stressed babies will get there

• Give them things you wouldnt eat yourself as it could end up being one of their favourite foods. Don't be afraid to let them try everything.

• always wait until they are ready - just because they are 6 months, doesn't mean they need to be eating solids!

• Follow your instincts, and when baby lets you know milk is no longer enough. Start with baby rice, which is so bland baby will hate you, so add a flavour, like mashed banana or mashed strawberries (to a pulp) and from there just slowly build it up. 

• If they dont like a food, try it again a few weeks later, some things our ds would not eat to start with he now loves.

• Take your time, enjoy the experience, introduce different foods along the way, not everything will work, cook foods yourself then you know whats in it! 

• stay clam and get to know your baby in this process stay relaxed. Make sue baby isn't too hungry or it will refuse food and just want to go with he knows which is milk. Stay healthy and experiment no baby naturally  dislikes anything this becomes learned behaviour but can be avoided. introduce a wide range of healthy foods and ignore the well meaning people that tell you your doing it wrong.

• Lots of variety, even foods you would not normally eat.  Plus be prepared if they look like they are bout to sneeze with a mouth full of food, weetabix does not clean of specs easily :)

• Don’t get too hung up on self feeding. They will do it when they are ready!

• Don't be disheartened when your little one doesn't seem to like anything, move on to the next think and try them with the food again in a few days, at this age it takes them a little while to think about the taste before they decide they like it.

• We didn't use purees and did Baby Led Weaning. It was easy and great fun too!

• Do it at your own speed, don't just do it because books or other mums tell you to. Do what's right for you and your baby.

• Don't expect baby to be weaned overnight, it could be a long slow process. Doesn't make you a bad mummy.  Go at your own pace. Good luck

• Keep trying different foods and textures - often they will take time to "warm" to a food

• Let your little one explore different foods and let them eat what you eat. 

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions