Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Weaning your baby on to solid food: share your best tips with HiPP Organic. Voucher to win!

Replies

• Options

Don't start with the sweet stuff! save puddings for later or they don;t want the veggies etc

• Options

Hi guys ... I have had 3 kiddies and the youngest being 16 months now the best advice i would I've is to go at your own babies pace and if you try giving veggies or savoury foods as first foods they are more likely to eat them later on because all babies and children love puddings and sweet foods! Who doesn't ;-) image

• Options

Dontbe afraid to try lots of different flavours and textures. Introduce variety sooner rather than later and it shouldn't be as hard.

• Options

Mixing sweet and savoury often helps

• Options

From out of all of my children I found weaning my youngest one a nightmare. He is so fussy and refuses to open his mouth. I guess a lot of mums out there have plenty of advice to share with me but I've had four other children and not really had food problems before. Adam was a real test. I was frustrated and concerned and a bit teary at times. I tried home made food, jar food...  A trusted brand like Hipp has followed all my children on their weaning journeys but Adam would  only eat those containing pasta..

I've just had to learn to stand back now and leave the food lying around the house so he finds it on his own as he enjoys picking his food, This way he munches throughout the day when no  one is watching or touching his food.

So I guess what I'm saying is that, that all children are different and they all want to eat in their own way.image

• Options

Baby led weaning all the way! It's less mess, takes far less time to prepare and really works :)

• Options

Post withdrawn by MFM HQ at poster’s request

• Options

My son was dairy/soya and lactose free when it came to the weaning stage and i thought it was going to the most difficult thing in the world! but it wasn't!! 

I went with baby lead weaning mostly and at meal time popped different bits in front of him, usually straight from my plate! and he would suck away on a big bit of broccoli, carrot, potato or a bit of toast (with certain butter and a little bit or marmite) i would also give him jars/ pouches and make my own meals for him blitzed up!  if at first they don't like something id always try it again a few days later and then again as it its all new textures as well as tastes!

its just a big new adventure for you both so enjoy it and get messy! let them explore with their hands, feet, face and body!! =)

• Options

My best advice is to purée whatever your having for dinner then you know what your child getting nutrient/salt content etc. It also saves a lot of time and means the baby gets used to the different tastes. I like to cook my meals and freeze so i just pop some in a container and defrost night before so there's always freshly prepared meals to hand if someone is looking after my child. It’s saved me a lot of money but I do tend to use the hipp jars when going on day trips but likes of family and friends I just pop the tub in the baby bag. It also means my child hopefully won’t be a fussy eater i’m praying lol. She does now love finger foods & feeding herself which is going to be fun! 

• Options

Keep trying new flavours and prepare for mess! 

• Options

Introduce lots of different veggies

• Options

we found early weaning worked well.  Lots of varieties of just tastes to start between feeds.  Ours were not interested  at the point of feed time and just wanted their milk.

• Options

When starting the weaning process maybe take your time bringing sour tasting fruits into babies food range. From my daughters facial expressions, she wasn’t too fond of plums! Now 3 years on she’s still not a big fan of them! 

• Options

Don't delay weaning your baby because you are scared of them choking. Don't keep shovelling the food in if they are taking it. Wait until you can see that they have swallowed it before you give them any more. 

• Options

imageOffer small amounts of food in your baby'seats bowl and add more only if need be.

• Options

Babies can be fussy with tastes & textures! My youngest was for ever trying to throw up when he started lumpy food to a point where we had to go back to pureed! now he eats anything lol

Just relax, dont stress & enjoy your little ones food discovery x

• Options

Always have a variety off different flavours so the baby doesnt get bored of the same one! Take your time! Your baby knows when they are ready!

• Options

Mashed avocado and cream cheese on toast is a great lunch for everyone!

• Options

Be gentle with yourself. Every baby is different, but you don't see many 8 yo only drinking milk. It will happen. Learn their cues as well. You won't always get it right. It doesn't mean you got it wrong. If they spit peas out the first time, it doesn't mean they hate peas. Just come back to it later.

• Options

Try random flavours together  - my kids loved courgette & banana together!

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions