Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Weaning your baby on to solid food: share your best tips with HiPP Organic. Voucher to win!

Replies

• I learnt a lesson from my first child Harrison.  Variety is key! Yes, when first introducing foods to your baby keep things simple. But as soon as I got the ball rolling with my second child I tried as nest I could to introduce a wide a variety of flavours. Spices are allowed! Obviously try to keep spice levels to a minimum but adding herbs and spices to your food can bring amazing flavour to your toddlers food and widens their food repertoire! I was scared to give my first child anything too adventurous while I was weaning him and now he only eats a small variety of food and it's very difficult persuading him to try new things. With my second son Arlo I tried to give him baby friendly curries, soups, sauces etc etc and now he adores his food. He will eat most things I give him and loves trying new foods. Not everything is a hit obviously but he still is brave enough to try. Eat with your child also... try to eat as a family unit as much as possible. Cook in batch and freeze. Let them feed themselves as much as possible... the mess can be tidied up. Don't stress if they have an off day with eating, we all have days like that. You live and you learn and enjoy this weaning process. If you enjoy it then hopefully your child will enjoy it also.imageimageimageimageimage

• Babies love to eat what you eat!! 

They will only be fussy if you don't introduce a wide variety of foods to them. 

• image we started with baby led weaning then she got super fussy so changed to jars now she'll eat absolutely anything. My top tip is don't be afraid of choking babies have natural reflexes and will amaze you at what they can eat. Here's ezzie loving the lasagna x

• babies like trying new foods, it’s later they go off things. 

my son liked spices and herby foods and things like olives. 

Keep trying new things and get your child used to eating out is a good tip. My Son is mostly well behaved in restaurant. 

• Always give your baby all kinds of food (age appropriate obviously). Don't avoid giving them the foods that you hate, and if they seem to dislike it keep giving it over and over because it can take a long time for a baby to start enjoying something ! 

• Give them a wide range of foods and textures. Even if they don't eat it they get so much out of smelling and feeling different textures and foods. We always gave ours a small bowl of what we were having so that they could eat it or feel it and they were both good eaters from the beginning.

• Our little girl LOVED baby led weaning and constantly sucked at and played with food to get her taste buds and tongue working when feeding. We never used baby food of any sort with her. However, when our son was born 18 months later, he wasn't interested in fingers foods / blw and so we started with jars and he progessed to solids as he got more confident with using his spoon / self weaning. My advice would be to try different eating methods and go with what suits your little one! 

• As soon as you feel they are ready for proper food don't be tempted to give them anything sweet.  Its when mums give them sweets tastes that baby will soon decide they don't like sour. Babies are intelligent little criters and will latch on straight away. keeping sweet from baby gives it the time to investigate sour They DONT need sugar, its bad for their teeth and diet. Introduce it if you wish at a much later date.

• Let babies to eat themselves they love trying food their self they love to touch the food don't worry about the mess . 

• let them try things a couple of times at least so that they can decide whether they like it or not

• Just take things easy, you’re baby is learning just like Mum is learning what baby likes. 

i did traditional weaning, did batch cooking and froze into ice cube trays, when they were frozen I placed into freezer bags, when needed I took a couple out to defrost. I personally found pear very easy to mix with stronger textures like the cauliflower and courgettes recipe on the Made for Mums app. This app is also brilliant for ideas , flavours you wouldn’t put together!

out and about I used jars, I Fed straight from the jar, no fuss and no mess! The different age jars were also very handy to introduce lumpier textures.

and if your little one doesn’t seem to like a food, just try again in a few days and you might be surprised! 

• Be patient, try a variety of foods.. don't give up if they don't like first time, blend veggies for a quick homemade one and no harm in baby foods already prepared... variety is the key.

• imageOne of my sons early weaning photos 💙

• Embrace the mess! Prepare for it, but don't fight it - it just makes the whole event stressful. Cover anything you want kept clean, remove any clothes you don't want to be spoiled and get stuck in! 

• Go at your babies pace

• Start with foods you eat, particularly if you're breastfeeding. Baby will already be exposed to those flavors. Don't be afraid to add seasonings to expand their palates beyond bland foods. And take the opportunity to introduce baby (and yourself) to new foods. I got a bit adventurous when my daughter was weaning, which was nice for me.

• Put a mat under the highchair for all the mess!

• Hold off until 6 months when  baby's gut is mature enough. Before then can cause problems! 

• For me using purees/jars and a mixture of baby led weaning worked. My 2 were happy to try large chunks of things eg. brocolli as well as eat purees. Just be prepared for the mess!!!

• start with mainly savoury tastes so they don't get a sweet tooth and refuse veggies :)

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions