Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Weaning your baby on to solid food: share your best tips with HiPP Organic. Voucher to win!

Replies

• My advice would be to allow your child to try all kinds of foods. Be gently persistent with foods they may not initially like. Enjoy the process and take one day at a time!

• Think the best bit of advice I have, which worked a treat for my little girl who refused to eat of a spoon to begin with was, any food is finger food as long as you can cope with the mess it may make! Until I thought about this I had so much stress about weaning. Having already done it once & it was so easy with my son I thought I would be fine but my daughter had different ideas!

• imageexperimenting with foods is fun , messy and to see your child’s face adapt to new flavours is a treat lol . 

imageexperimenting with foods is fun , messy and to see your child’s face adapt to new flavours is a treat lol . 

Corn beef hash , 

sunday dinners mashed into mush 

• Jars are great especially if you're out or in a hurry.  I add mashed banana or pear to them to get them used to lumps. Also let baby feed themselves as much as possible, I make some simple muffins with egg and vegetables which are easy to hold and tasty!image

• Mine had allergies, introduce a new food once every 4 days, then you know if there is a problem. No salt and watch sugar content ......... really read labels.

• Don't expect everything to be easygoing, have patience and you will see results. 

• My best advice take your time and make meal time fun/enjoyable. Don't fret/worry if they don't want to eat or don't like the taste of something. You can always try again. Meals with the family all together are great, my little one loved the social aspect, sharing our food and it made it easier for her to trying new things. 

• Start small, see what instant reaction you get, make it fun!

• My top tips would include buying lots of cheap plastic bibs (and a plastic sheet or shower curtain for the floor if you have carpet) then let your little one join in with family meals. It got quite messy but my eldest enjoyed feeding herself rather than being spoon fed, looking forward to doing it all again with daughter number two in January!image

• giving your baby a taste for veg – it might be a challenge, and it probably won’t be love at first bite,  keep going and they’ll learn to love veggies for life. 
    Start with single savoury flavours and try to avoid sweeter veggies by sticking to things like broccoli, carrots, cauliflower etc

• Having raised three boys, I'd say the best advice I can give you is don't be a fair deal to try new foods. Trial and error, trust your instincts, your baby will always let you know.try little tasters at first don't give too much, I always had a bottle of water on hand and that helped mines.  

• Having raised three boys, I'd say the best advice I can give you is don't be afraid to try new foods. Trial and error, trust your instincts, your baby will always let you know.try little tasters at first don't give too much, I always had a bottle of water on hand and that helped mines.  

• imageBabies love to feed themselves so offer a variety of colourful cooked and raw veggies/ fruits with each meal so they can explore them 😀

• Take your time, don't rush it. They won't like everything first time but don't give up. Keep offering it alongside something they do like. 

• Feed a variety of foods and if they don't enjoy it try it again in a week or so as they might like it then. 

• My daughter loves her food!

The best two pieces of advise I was given was:

1, Start with toddler trouble foods like pureed vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, kale, sprouts, carrots and parsnips. Now she is 18 months she still loves her veg, I just hope it continues!

2, If they refuse something at first don't give up on it. It can take babies a few attempts to decide whether they like something or not. It took around six attempts for my daughter to decide she actually quite likes apple puree, now she loves apples.

• Feed slowly- food should be enjoyed! its not about shoveling in food as quick as you can! 

• Be kind to yourself, expect a lot of mess and believe that it will happen image

• Start your baby on solids when you feel they're ready and don't be pushed into it early by others. I felt so pressured by health visitors, friends and family to get my twins onto solids, that I started long before they were ready. It made it far too stressful for them and me and mealtimes just became a nightmare. 

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions