Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Booking a family holiday: share your top tips with ABTA. Voucher to win!

Replies

• booking way in advance and being slightly flexible with your dates can save you a fortune 

• Do your research well,

• plan your destination to accommodate the different ages in your group

• Consider flying on days other than the weekend - its far cheaper

• Book accomodation and flights seperately, you'll save loads and get more choice :)

• Booking early is a must, especially as your likely to be going on holiday during the school holidays, when the prices seem to go up, and availability goes down. 

If booking for a holiday in this country, I always say to myself "what will we do if it rains all week"? So i try and make sure that there are plenty of things to see and do locally, and that the place we are staying has sufficent space for everybody to have a little breathing room. 

• Book early read reviews on resort and hotel always take plenty of goodies and games for the airport. When you arrive don't forget to check fire exits - we did have to evacuate our room during the night due to a fire!

• If booking online, make sure you are alone at home and receive no interruptions of any sort.

This, of course, is after having planned everything in details.

The booking should be easier that way.

• Keep it simple, stick to the UK while they are little.  When they are old enough to fly without too much fuss try to find a place that has a few organised activities but do not go over the top, there is only so much they can do it is meant to be a holiday after all they are not training to join the Marines. Cruises are great there are activities on the ship but you also get to visit may different places without having to repack luggage and there are several ship that sail from Southampton so no flying.

• Take some time to make some notes of the critical things ie. are passports up to date, what are the laws/etiquette of the country we wish to visit and health implications, health insurance. Make sure anything you plan to take with you is permissible through customs.

Have information on local GPs and hospitals. Think about each person in your party and try to find somewhere that accommodates the need of everyone. 

I know this is a chore but try to read terms and conditions. 

• We book travel and accommodation separately as not only does it work out cheaper, we can be sure that everything will suit us.  We start with flights, and usually fly to the destination that has the best flight times (shortish flight, not too early in the morning or late at night) and after that book a villa or apartment that is within easy reach of a) the airport and b) local attractions.

This way of doing things doesn't suit everyone, but it is definitely best for our family.

• If going long haul, i always start price tracking a year in advance and make a note of when the cheapest flights are available. The when it comes to booking I can pretty much be sure I have the best price possible

• Check to see what activities the resort has for kids and how safe their will be 

• Make sure that you have a valid passports and your EHIC card is up to date. Also look for plenty to keep the children entertained in the hotel!

• Plan ahead and make sure to look at all the deals 

• Sort out your hotel, make sure it has all the facilities that you and your family want, pool, good food, kids club, once this is booked and you have the dates for this then you can look for flights to match. There are so many flights nowadays that this should not be a problem.

• Make sure all passports are accounted for and locked away safe, take something to entertain the kids such as a DS, tablet or activity book because they get bored real quick in the airport

• Enjoy it! Sounds like silly advice right? We can all get so stressed booking, planning and taking a holiday, worrying about the "what if's". Just enjoy every minute and make beautiful memories :)

• Make sure you actually book the same week off work as your partner! 

• Check if there is any type of child minding babysitting before you book if that is something you will be wanting 

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions