Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Booking a family holiday: share your top tips with ABTA. Voucher to win!

Replies

• Checking costs before booking to see if prices are reasonable I use Trivago to look at hotel prices

• Always pay at least £100 on a credit card, then if anything happens to your travel company you are covered for the full cost  of the holiday, and always book via a cashback site 

• Try to book as far in advance as you can to get the cheapest deals. Never get your currency at the airport as the exchange rates are very poor

• When looking for a budget family holiday you need to think about the type of accommodation you want to stay in. This will really affect your budget. Villa accommodation is a great choice for a large family and as you will be self-catering you know your kids will be eating food they like.

• i always book early and look for free child places as there are quite a few of us 

• Ensure you check reviews from other families online... check the accommodation has enough beds and if you need a cot ensure it comes with mattress and bedding.

• Book in advance for cheapest prices, looking for the free child places for little ones and make sure passports are all valid incase details are requested by travel agents.

• Be flexible with where you go, try putting dates into skyscanner to discover destinations you may not have considered previously - you may find a bargain and an undiscovered gem!

• Do plenty of research. Whittle it down to 3 options and have a wish list of the things that would make a great holiday for all the family. Don’t just book for the kids but try and make sure there is something for everyone..

before you book search the name of the hotel/resort in google and see if there are any individual reviews from people.

• I always use trip advisor so I can search reviews and also ask questions.

• I always make sure to delete my cookies and clear my computer browsing history before booking, to avoid travel companies reviewing my past browsing history and hiking up prices based on that (which they regularly do)! 

• i have to admit this will be my first time selfcatering as i have always been on a inclusive package but food has been to a poor standard in some places.

we book early taking advantages of discounts and time to pay it up over the year

have insurance in place and take a first aid box with you with paracetamol ibroprofen plasters savlon

• Research reviews from other families online. I always look to see recommendations from forum users as these often discuss elements of the holiday I hadn't considered. Also, don't forget insurance for peace of mind. 

• Always research the place and the surrounding areas on sites like Tripadvisor to check out what is available to do in the area and if it's suitable for the age range of your children. 

• Book as early as possible so that you have the best options, best prices and you don't have to worry about anything as it's all booked and you'll be prepared in advance. 

• My tip would be to book through a travel agent. Before I had a family I traveled the world booking everything myself but I like the security and hassle free benefits of using a travel agent with the family. 

• Do loads of research first

• When booking a family holiday I think it's really important to take your time and not go gung ho and last minute.

Have a check list of things you need to take - passports (make sure they are valid long enough for your trip), insurance, medications, clothes etc.

Research the area you are visiting and make a note of places of interest that you would like to visit and see if there are any money saving offers you can take advantage of prior to arrival.

For the actual travel little activity packs are great for kids, you can get colouring books and stickers as well as pens etc from the likes of Wilko's, £ shops and home bargains and make your own for quite low cost.

• Travel in late may around half term, whilst it is still more expensive than other times of the year, it's not as bad as july/august

• Choose short haul flights, short transfers and take plenty of snacks.

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions