Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions

How have you changed your home since you became pregnant and/or had children?  Tell Carpetright!

Replies

• We have had to repaint due to a little devil drawing on the walls in the living room. We have also gone for patterned wall paper over plain to hid sticky finger marks. We bought new furniture for her bedroom and have had to buy a LOT of storage to keep all the things we might have just left out before we had children.

• I think the main thing is my house is much more lived in, previously I would be at work all day and only home at weekends really for any length of time, so cleaning was always easy and quick.... now its like trying to clean up after a riot!!! I made sure that all furniture was child friendly in the early years, and try not to freak out when things are spilt or broken, home furnishings can be replaced after all, better not to sweat the small stuff.

• We changed the flooring in our house from laminate to carpet (need new carpets now lol), painted the walls with wipe clean paint for all thise messy finger marks and chaged the sofas from fabric to easy to wipe clean leather sofas.

• Baby gates on every room, all ornaments either put away or raised up high. baby locks on all cupboards, safety plugs in all wall sockets.

• we replace all of the downstairs with laminate...it is amazing the amount of crumbs one little boy can displace all over the room!

• Well, the usual safety features of course (stair gates, et cetera), but the main thing was that we felt we had to change the flooring in our daughter's room as she had a carpet allergy - so we fitted laminate flooring.  It wears well, too!

• got rid of all the clutter

• I don't think I really thought much about changes to the home until my son started crawling and then pretty much immediately everything had to be secured!  Cupboards locked, all my bookshelves and anything within reach moved higher!  So much to think about, it is good to be organised!  

• We've changed downstairs flooring from carpet to laminate and got leather sofas, sooo much easier to keep clean! 

• No not really, its not always possible to change things  when you rent.

• We changed the flooring in some of the rooms from carpet to laminate (easier to clean up mess and keep dust free), and have some rugs to add 'warmth' to the rooms but not the shaggy type as Lego can get hidden in them! Some of the wallpaper was replaced with washable paint, and any wobbly or unstable furniture was replaced with new cupboards that could maximise storage and all paint was made sure it was 'child friendly'. Stair gates were added too for safety. 

• we put wooden flooring in the hallway and living room, and used a tough washable paint on the walls

• We put throws over everything to protect them!

• I became a mum at a young age, so I hadn't really kept house before my son was born.  25 years later and after 6 children.  I never buy light coloured carpets and the sofa has to be leather.

• We've had to re-do the bathroom including retiling the floor and replastering the walls, it was a nightmare in there and with kids on the way (and lots of bathtimes) we needed a revamp.

• We had a massive clear out and increased storage with more units

• Added laminate, wood flooring and leather sofas

• Safety proofing everything! We accepted that most stuff would get covered in sticky handprints so didn't bother decorating or  untilbuying new furniture recently. 

• Children and pets mean we now have hard flooring throughout the house and blackout curtains in all the bedrooms :)

• Put wooden floors down, easier to keep clean and a huge door mat!

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions