Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How have you changed your home since you became pregnant and/or had children?  Tell Carpetright!

Replies

• Options

We moved house altogether which was exciting to give us more space. We’ve gradually decorated, using premium paint (hoping it never actually gets drawn on). Baby gates galore and having to raise the television for onto The wall so little fingers don’t pull the whole thing down. Gradually got used to it. Still got old carpet... too scared to change whilst he’s little and likely to spill food etc all over it! 

• Options

safety features such as corner protectors, stair gates, childproof cupboard locks and keeping things like scissors and medicines in high up cupboards

• Options

We have definitely become more focused on tidiness

• Options

We bought some big soft rugs to cushion falls onto the floor, put childproof openers on cupboards and either packed away precious things or moved them higher. But as they get bigger more things need child proofing

• Options

We changed from carpet to oak wood flooring downstairs, makes keeping clean so much easier, especially with messy eaters!  

Upstairs we still have our cream carpets we first put in (before children).  Be great to now change these to more suitable/durable carpet and be able to keep clean!

• Options

We have put new carpets in and bought a new rug for the living room.

• Options

I moved ornaments temporally. i safety proved my home I changed the blinds for cordless ones . I installed stair gate, i made personalised bedrooms I brought a stream cleaner but never changed my sofas and never had an issue as we eat in the dinning room 

• Options

I was really looking for easy clean and stain resistant options

• Options

After having very basic and cheap carpets and laminate flooring in my house, as that's all I could afford when I moved in, I finally had saved up enough to get my house feeling more like a home. I had no paid or wallpaper on my walls, everything was just cream.

With help from my family I was finally able to decorate my full house! I started with my son's room and gave him everything he wanted, super hero themed! I got new carpets, painted his walls and gave him a feature wall. 

I then moved on with the rest of my house. New carpets on my stairs and my bedroom and new laminate in my livingroom. Grey oozing throughout my house. I painted my stairs and bathrooms. I painted and wallpapered my livingroom, kitchen and bedroom. I finally got a new couch instead of another second hand one. 

My house still isn't finished, due to lack of funds, Im still missing those little fixtures that bring everything together. Most of the budget went into my son's room so my livingroom and bedroom are only half completed. 

So I would LOVE to be chosen so I can finally have a home I'll be proud off. 

• Options

We moved into a total wreck when I was 3 months pregnant. Brave or stupid?!? 

While i was  pregnant we installed new central heating, stripped sanded and painted a bedroom and the nursery, shortly followed by building a new internal wall and Installing a new en suite bathroom. 

Since small boy arrived we have removed 18tn of concrete from the garden and seeded a lawn. This week we are decorating another bedroom.

The only thing we have not sorted is carpet!

• Options

Better storage. More multi functioning spaces. I no longer have an office.....

• Options

I made curtains for the children's bedroom out of old duvet covers. It sounds strange but it worked! I had never made curtains before so I was very proud of myself.  We were on a tight budget! 

• Options

I changed my living room floor from laminate to carpets. I think carpets are much easier for little ones to crawl on and learn to walk on.

My girls room is pink and now they are both a bit older they have bunk beds meaning more space for toys.

• Options

We changed from laminate flooring to carpets as they are warmer and softer. We also repainted with easy wash paint as they always seem to get finger prints everywhere,

• Options

We moved to our own home. We re-painted most of the rooms in the house, set up the nursery and decor.  Swapped laminate flooring in living room and landing with carpets.

We fitted stair gates and changed fabric sofa to leather sofa as wipeable and easier to maintain. (although it's colder in winter)

Now the baby is getting older need to convert either the guest room or nursery to a room for both boys would involve new pieces of furniture. We are considering changing to a much thicker carpet for this room. 

• Options

So much has changed and not just change because we’ve had kids but changes at each stage of their development.

Our first child arrived a year after we moved into our house.  As soon as she started crawling we knew that the gorgeous wood floor in the living room wasn’t going to be practical anymore.  We put down carpet to help her with finding her feet and soften some of the falls.  This worked great for  first couple of years until the carpet became covered in spills and ground in debris.  Great we thought!  Lets get the wood flooring back on show.  So out went the carpet with gusto, it had served a great purpose but we always preferred the wood anyway.  Then, to our surprise, along came daughter number two and we’ve just relaid the carpet again!

Also, as their toys have started to take over the house, we’ve also built them a small playroom and converted the garage to a utility.  There’s a lot of washing to be done these days!

• Options

When we found out we were pregnant with Chunk due in January 2018, we redecorated/reorganised the spare bedroom into a nursery, the office/junk room into a library, the living and dining room to be more suitable and redid the bathroom.

Once the old bathroom suite was ripped out we plastered the walls and repainted. The bathtub was placed in so we could tile and seal that in followed by the shower and glass shower screen. Toilet and sink were slotted into place and the vinyl tiles were laid before the toilet and sink were bolted in place. This was a very stressful job as it rendered us without a toilet for big parts of the day which were especially tricky while pregnant. Due to the size of our bathroom and the chemicals being used I wasnt able to help either which I hated. 

While the bathroom was being done I plodded along with clearing the junk out of the office and moving everything we wanted to keep into the spare room. This meant moving a lot of books and took me a very long time as I couldnt lift too much, I found anytime i needed to go upstairs for anything I would move a few more books. Wallpaper was stripped and carpet cleaned. All walls were painted white with a purple border. This took me a while as climbing up and down the ladders was tricky. Book shelves went in and the room was again slowly filled from the spare room. A comfy chair, new purple curtains and light shade rendered the room finished. Now to trash it again! 

Everything that was in the spare room was moved into the library. Wallpaper was stripped and walls painted white with a yellow border. We then went to the local carpet dealer for new carpet in the nursery and hall, stairs and landing. Once this was laid all furniture from the living room went into the nursery and the carpet was ripped up and light wood Laminate was put down. The walls were painted white with a blue border and new blue blinds were put in place on the sliding doors. The old sofa was ripped apart for recycling and a new corner sofa ordered. Then all the furniture was moved from the nursery back into the living room, from the Library back into the nursery and the library is still a complete mess :-) Then we just needed the finishing touches in the nursery. A Cot was put up and a little Winnie the pooh rug along with matching curtains and lampshade.

Fast forward to the heatwave and light fixtures were ripped out of the Nursery and the two in the living room and replaced with Ceiling Fans. 

Found out we are expecting 2&3 recently and this time we are looking at moving the living room around to give us some more space and the double bed in the nursery will be removed and replaced with another cot and a cot bed for Chunk. Thankfully no painting and decorating needed this time round while I am pregnant as it was way too stressful the first time round. 

• Options

After my first child we changed from carpets to laminate flooring as it is much easier to keep clean and germ free. I now also have leather sofas which are easily wiped and my home is much more simplistic, having fewer ornaments sitting around. It’s so much easier to tidy up and keep clean now

• Options

since moving into this house in December we have changed the bedroom carpets but have not yet been able to afford to change the lounge carpet. A new easyclean floor was also a priority for the kitchen  as was a thorough clean throughout

• Options

White carpets went straight away dark coloured ones all the way

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions