Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How have you changed your home since you became pregnant and/or had children?  Tell Carpetright!

Replies

• We changed the downstairs carpeting to laminate after trying to clean a few too many accidents. Replaced the stair and upstairs carpeting with newer and darker carpeting for durability. Painted the smaller bedroom until daughter started school and switched to larger one. And don't get me started on the amount of flat packed furniture we've put together.

• We had darker carpet put in the living room & stripped patterned carpet on the stairs 2 help cover fiture mess, plus our old carpet wasn’t protected and stained easily.

Our spare room (was the office) was converted to the nursery, although that was just a repaint with washable paint, and the dinning room became dinning room/office, so a new smaller desk was purchased. 

Generally we just had to declutter as babies have a lot of stuff 

• Everything has to be wipe clean, or very easy to clean, it makes you think about the interior of your home and how to make it a child friendly home.  We put plastic safety catches on the cupboard doors; and we also put plastic power point covers on the power points.  We used waterproof paint which is easily wipe clean in the bathroom, toilet and kitchen as that makes a real difference especially in the kitchen as there were always slightly grubby sticky marks which needed to be wiped off the kitchen walls. You can chooose from a range of beautiful colours in waterproof paints too. We have flooring which is easy to keep clean as you are bound to get a wide variety of multi-coloured stains all around the house - it is one of those things - children want to play and run around  not worry about household goods.  We cut out clutter lower down and anything which we felt was either fragile or precious was  moved out of reach.    We have not used wallpaper in the house - wipe proof paint in a variety of colours which add atmosphere is easy to keep clean and also to freshen up when it fades a little - and it looks good.  Home interiors with young children look great - clutter free, fresh colours, easy to refresh, flooring easy to keep clean.  A fresh looking home is inspirational and good to live in for everyone.  

• I haven't changed a lot, simply don't have the room or money to do a lot.  My youngest has my old room and it still has the same paper and lighting but I put dark blue curtains in and a rug, as well as a cabin bed with desk and space to play under. I bought a sofa bed for downstairs which is where I sleep now.

• We moved house when baby was 8 weeks old. There's lots of things we would like to change, including some nasty carpets, but we've decided to leave everything for a few years as it's bound to all get ruined with a very lively little girl tearing about everywhere!

• I got rid of the cream carpet in the living room after my 1st child, as there were so many spills, accidents, sick etc. So got laminate flooring instead, easier to clean. I used paints that allow you to wipe the walls, so if any little hands leave marks, I can wipe it off. 

• We moved home all together. We lived in a small two bedroom house and once our son was born my husband realised how much room he took up. We had his room decorated, he had a changing unit and toys in the living room, his bath in the bathroom, a crib in our bedroom and all his bottles on the kitchen. It was hard to move around. So we went on the hunt for a bigger house we were lucky and found a larger  two bed just down the road. 

hubby was in work the week we Moved except Wednesday so I called in the help of my mum who watched the baby whilst I cleaned the new house from top to bottom. I painted the hallway white and our bedroom a stone grey colour. then it was boxes and moving as much as I could in the car over the next day and a half. Wednesday was all the. If stuff and remaining boxes. I then unpacked Thursday and Friday and by the following Wednesday the whole of the house was finished. We had even got the baby’s room painted and decorated. We painted it a mint green and grey with clouds on the mint.

without the help of my mum I don’t think we could have done it so quickly but I was determined to have every last detail finished with in a week. i can’t stand living out of boxes 📦 image

• We bought new carpets upstairs and fitted laminate flooring downstairs as we had previously had a dog. We fitted a gate at the top and bottom of the stairs. 

• Carpets and rugs, which our children enjoyed lying on.

• The first thing to go were the light carpets. The house was already crawling friendly as we don't have much 'extra' furniture; we just had to childproof a couple of cupboards.

• We certainly have a different home now that we have 3 young boys.  Our rooms pre-children were nicely decorated with various heavy ornaments, expensive rugs, cushions and a large coffee table in the living room alongside our fabric sofa.   Along came the boys and the ornaments went as soon as they were crawling and climbing, along with the coffee table that they could bump into and hurt themselves.  The cushions went as they spent more time being thrown on the floor anyway, and the sofa got a bit grubby so we changed it for a wipe clean leather version.  Laminate flooring throughout to cope with the spills, and there seem to be toys in every room, even ours!  

• When we found out we wearing expecting again, we wanted to decorate our bedroom to freshen it up and make it nice for baby as we knew he would be in with us. other than a coat of paint we hadnt decorated our bedroom since we moved it! We completely redone our room - painted, wallpapered, new carpet, new bed, new furniture, Moses basket and a few personalised touches for our baby! Really happy with how it looks now! 

We then seemed to get the decorating bug (maybe it was nesting!) and wanted to get as much done as possible before babies arrival! We decorated our daughters bedrooms and the bathroom too! 

image imageimageimage

We also made improvements on the garden making it child friendly and safe!

• We put a tight pile carpet down throughout most of the house (aside from the kitchen, hallway and living room) so that when the children played with items like LEGO they have a fairly solid floor to build things but comfortable and cosy too! It also meant that little bits didn't get lost in the carpet and therefore don't get stepped on (*ouch) or vacuumed up!

We also bought a lot of storage for their toys (the Kallax ones from IKEA) which helps to declutter their rooms (well...when they choose to actually pack their toys away!!)

• Before my son was born we had to completely redo our spare room and desperately try to find room for a cot while still being able to open the fitted wardrobes. We put up wallpaper of yellow stars to make the space both somewhere to encourage imagination and also a calm place to sleep, repainted the furniture with white gloss, changed all the sharp handles, bought new light shades and space themed accessories; including a rug to cover the chilly floorboards.

We seem to be constantly having to think up storage solutions, as he acquires more and more toys and baby paraphernalia, and baby proof on the hoof as he becomes more able and excited about exploring. It’s quite difficult as our house is pretty tiny and we’ve ended up with lots of lidded plastic boxes, a new tv unit, extra cupboards and stair gates. 

One of the biggest things we had done was to have a new bannister built for the staircase, where previously there was none, to make the stairs safer to use for both baby-laden adults and children. There’s a lot more we would have loved to do had we had the funds e.g splash out on new rugs, board up under the stairs to create a cupboard or install doors to block off the kitchen and dining area.

• We have made sure no food or drink in the living room and everyone has to hoover at least once a week.

• Since having children we have changed our kitchen diner. Out with the orange, 1970's look and in with a shiny new kitchen surfaces. The flooring has also been updated with blue, mosaic pattern laminate tiles. The dining table has been updated to be able to dine six people. We try to have a sit down family meal as often as possible.

• We changed wood floors to carpet for comfort when the boys were starting to crawl and ready for soft landing when they began to walk.  We put up stair gates and popped door locks on to the cupboards.

• We have baby gates everywhere! We also have moved all ornaments so there's barely anything breakable for tiny hands to get hold of! Also, plug covers!! 

• We changed the bathroom floor from carpet to tiles and in the sitting room went for leather sofas, which could be wiped down, rather than previously a sofa upholstered in material. In my sons bedroom we painted a child friendly mural on the walls. 

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions