Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tell Lyclear your stories and thoughts about head lice: vouchers to win!

Replies

• Options

When my kids were in primary school they had lice for a whole month because I would treat them then somebody didn't treat their kids so they'd get them again - I spent a fortune on treatment until a friend suggested conditioner so I used this and a mixture of the Lyclear and eventually got rid of them.

However, the worst was when my hair was itchy on Boxing Day one year and I get dry hair but washed my hair next day and their was a bleeding nit in the water so I had to rush out and buy 12 hour treatment as the itching was unbearable and leave it on overnight but at the time I worked with kids so must have got them from the little darlings.

There was another time that I used vinegar on my hair and burnt my scalp and never been the same since as I get mild psoriasis of my scalp.

Once I found a nit repellent spray I started using that on my kids and myself and never got nits again,thankfully.

• Options

My daughter had long thick hair down to her bottom and never got bits whilst at school until my little boy with hardly any hair brought it home and managed to give it to us all.

We all had to get treated but the smell was much better than I remember from being a child

• Options

My daughter had a friend round to stay the night, but I noticed that she was scratching her head quite a bit.  Finding an excuse to get close up to her head I noticed that she was completely infested with lice.  I just couldn't bear the idea of having her in the house overnight spreading them around so made her wash her hair and went over her with the nit comb, she had extremely thick hair and more nits than I had ever seen before.  When her mum came to pick her up the next morning I told her what I'd done as she said, "oh yes, I've been meaning to check her for a while, I never seem to get around to these things! Ha ha!"  

• Options

My children have had them twice back when they were in nursery, I caught them too and because I have long hair I must have rushed the shampoo and didn’t get them all cos I still had them one Christmas day and I remember being sat there with the shampoo on and a glass of wine! Thankfully we have been clear for over 3 years and do regular checks. 

• Options

I like the sound of these modern non insecticide treatments, my daughter is 28, and  they weren't around when she was little.  I was really struggling to kill the little critters, they would still be alive the day after treatment.  I decided I'd had enough of using nasty chemicals and used loads of conditioner and a nit comb.  Took some effort, but it did work eventually. Just remembering those times makes my head itch.  Ugh!

• Options

My daughter got headlice on her 5th birthday! IT was an absolute nightmare as she has really thick hair. We spent almost the entire day trying to sort it. 

• Options

when my son had nits for the first time he found it hard as he liked to make friends with creepy crawlies...... he found a spider in his room and called it Shelky... (yeah I know?!) 

so when he realised he had 'bugs' in his hair that needed to come out he was quite excited, when of course he found out they were going to come out dead not so much! 

anyway after a long drawn out, emotional roller-coaster we decided to grade one his head! he was happier with this as the 'bugs' didn't have to die! and he'd look like action man! my son has a big curly afro so getting a nit comb through that wasn't making overly excited either to be fair. 

The best moment came 6 years later when his younger sister got nits for the first time

"don't worry, mummy will just shave your hair off!"... oh the tears.

I didn't of course. but i did however use Lyclear.

Thank goodness, I think we now passed the Nitty Nora stage of childhood.

• Options

Someone told me headline don’t like coconut- so we ysed coconut shampoo conditioner and detangling spray - worked for us so far!

• Options

Luckily neither of my kiddies have had head lice. After being a Nanny for over 10 years I’ve got staple items in my bathroom cabinet. You need a good nit comb And conditioner. I regularly conditio my kiddies hair too. 

• Options

I've been lucky enough to never have head lice myself and so far my boys have managed to avoid it too. Not sure I'd be able to cope with the little critters! 

• Options

When my Daughter was younger, the only way i could keep her lice free was to wash her hair as normal then I used conditioner and a lice comb every hair wash and that worked for me. I tried all the remedies out there but none worked for her.

• Options

I constantly get letters from my son's school about head lice. Recently they stated that all children with long hair has to have it tied back to try and stop the spread. Luckily we've not had them yet!

• Options

when my kids were in school, I used to have to do their hair at least once a term, there was a couple of kids (not their fault) but the parents refused to do their hair with nit stuff, they said it was their right not to, but like other parents we used to say it's not right that we have to do our kids but they did not.

I was mortified that once I got them from my kids, I never had them when I was a kid

• Options

First time my daughter got nits: I checked her hair the moment a friend said her daughter had them.  Found one adult lice and she remained clear. I felt very smug

First time my twin boys got lice: The barber found a full on infestation on both of them and I'd never noticed.  Didn't feel so smug that time image

• Options

I never ever will forget one time I had headlice as a child.  I was with my family and grandparents at Butlins back in the day when they used to have hairdressers on site. Well my mum after washing my hair discovered I had lice.  She was mortified and I felt like I was a disease as nobody would come near me.  Mum didn't want the job of removing the lice so she told me I had to go for a haircut.  All was fine in the salon, until the hairdresser half cut my hair and realised I had lice.  My mum didn't tell them!!! They told my mum they couldn't complete the cut until the lice were gone.  So I had short hair on one side and long hair on the other.  To make things worse, the hairdresser informed everyone in the salon that we needed to sterilise everything because there was a case of lice in the salon.  I was traumatised!!  And just discussing this has now made me feel very itchy :P

• Options

As a grandma to 13 grandchildren all different ages I can’t tell you what a godsend LYCLEAR is . I regularly check there hair when they come to visit especially the girls. When my eldest grandchild first got the dreaded nits my daughter came round in a panic. So I had to do the whole thing and have taught them all as my mum did me lyclear is the best product easy to use and works brilliantly I always keep a couple of bottles in just in case.image

• Options

I remember on 2nd day of a caravan holiday, a Sunday, in a particularly remote spot in Wales when my daughter said, 'I can't seem to get the sand out of Perry's hair'.  Perry is my grandson.  We had three boys with us all under 5.  My son was only one year older than his oldest nephew.  I went over and had a look and told her that it wasn't sand, it was head lice and very well established head lice at that.  We spent that day scouring the local shops for a solution. Most of the shops were shut, it being Wales and also a Sunday.  We eventually managed to find a nit comb.  What a fabulous weekend we had searching each other's hair for nits like a family of grooming monkeys.  If only we had Lyclear then.  We still laugh about it but we certainly weren't laughing that day!

• Options

Total nightmare! It's like a cycle. If one person gets them they spread. It's everyone's job to be responsible and tackle it.

• Options

For my 50th birthday we went  camping and my 10 year old seemed to have nits. We went into the local town to buy nit combs both electrical and basic. The overriding memory of my 50th is us combing each others hair to find/ remove nits. What a way to celebrate!

• Options

Ahh nits were the burden of my childhood! I just couldn’t get rid of them!! Used to love going around my nanas as she used to sit for hours trying to get them our of my hair haha! They did eventually go though after trying lots of treatments. Hoping they won’t be a thing once my daughter is at school, but I’ll wait with baited breath to get rid of them as soon as possible! It really was awful having them at school! 

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions