Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions

Tell Lyclear your stories and thoughts about head lice: vouchers to win!

Replies

• Am not sure why there is a stigma about nits, most of us have experienced them at least once during our/our childrens lives. However to not deal with them once discovered should carry the stigma!

• Headlice can be a nightmare when they do the rounds my daughter had them at Christmas time,  I treat her and also spray a repellent in as well which seems to do the trick , as long as we have hair we will always have headlice best advice is to check hair regularly even if your child is not itching as in my daughters case she only seems to itch when she has had them for a while.

• My daughter picked up nits when I was 8months pregnant.  I remember trying to wash, treat and pick through her hair (and mine) for hours every evening for over a week.  She hates a hair wash at the best of times so this was particularly tough.  We would bribe her with a box of raisins in the bath and that seemed to do the trick.

My my husband was for the first time delighted to bald!

• I have a son so I think I'm less worried about him getting nits, than if he were a girl. If he were to get them then its easy to give a boy a very short hair cut for a bit to help treating them.

• My daughter hadn’t long started school as came home with the dreaded itch, being the biggest scaredy cat of all sorts of creepy crawlies checking her long extremely thick hair was my worst nightmare. Not only did she have several she managed to pass some to me in the process. I made such a song and dance about it while she wasn’t phased at all and as an adult I visited my mums house so she could make sure my head was exterminated.

as I write this I’m getting that awful clawing feeling in my scalp(shudders)

• When I was around 7yrs old, it was my cousins big wedding day and I was a bridesmaid. We had professional hairdressers in and they found that I had nits 😔. However by the time my mum found out it had word of mouth from hairdressers to my auntie to my nanna and so on. I still remember the embarrassment my mum felt that day lol. 

During school days it was always said that those with nits were dirty and never washed there hair and no one wanted to play with you. 

Although last year my then 6yr old had caught the nits and she thought it was wonderful and couldn’t wait to tell her friends n teachers 🤭 I was like ’no no no you can’t tell people’ and she was like ‘why?’ However she did in end and don’t think anyone was too bothered. 

• One of my kids came home from primary school one day, they had caught nits. He had been told that he had bugs on his head. But he thought they meant he had insects inside his head... he was quite upset bless him

• i have heard that the nits like clean hair? not sure if that's true though.

• As a fromer dinner lady I used to see a lot of nits in school, and some were rife!! My daughter has never had them because we always kept her hair up, but my son had just the one and no eggs when he was little, I think Ive been quite lucky, because they`ll go into anyones hair. I always had treatment in just incase, and checked my kids for a few weeks when we got a letter home saying someone had them.

• my child had nits and had to be taken out of school to get rid of it. all the parents received a letter to make sure they check their child for nits and to treat it.

• i have seen my mum use normal shampoo and a nit comb to get the nits out and find all the eggs and pop them to make sure they don't grow. it seems to be quite effective as sometimes the nit shampoos don't get all the nits out or kill them.

• I’m a real hater of head lice, they make me itch from head to foot when I see them. I see them in school crawling across foreheads, falling onto the table and I’ve even seen a child playing with one!! I really think we should bring back the old fashioned nit nurse as some individuals never seem to get rid from their children’s hair! 

• My best advice is to head to your local pharmacy and the pharmacist will talk you through detection and treatment. Xx

• My little one is only 11 months so luckily no experiences with the little mites. However, a big myth I've heard is that you get them if you're dirty.. Also that when you think about head lice, your head starts to itch.. that one's definitely true!!!

• Before my children started school my mum told me that tea tree oil mixed with their shampoo would keep head lice away. Didn’t work! We ended up with the dreaded beasties anyway.

• My Daughter was forever getting nits when she was in primary school. I checked her hair thoroughly every week with a nit comb and conditioner but can remember feeling mortified when I took her to the hairdresser and the lady cutting her hair announced loudly that she couldn't possibly cut her hair as she had head lice!

• We haven't had to deal with them yet, but my husband has already said that he's going to shave everyone's heads if we get them!

• Two of my kids have had them! Took atleast a week to completely get rid

• I spray my daughter's long hair with a tea tree knit repellent spray when I do her hair each morning. It's only £1 from b&m and lasts forever. Not had any nits come home on her yet as yet so it must be working ! 

• 2 of my kids have had them. Was a painful week before being free of them completely 

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions