Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Tell Lyclear your stories and thoughts about head lice: vouchers to win!

Replies

• As a teacher, I've had a parent tell me 'why bother treating them as they'll just come back again'. I thought that was terribly sad because I'm sure they'd treat them in their own hair! 

Anyway, as people have been saying, regular checking and thorough combing with conditioner and nit comb will do the trick. Nothing to be embarrassed about (as long as you treat it, that is!).

• We get letters home from school at least one a month saying that there are nits in school.
    It can be very frustrating as I treat mine whether they have them or not but there are some that never treat their child so it just keeps getting passed around.
    My children haven't had them yet but I have had to get rid of nits out of my nephews hair.

There is still a stigma attached to nits and dirty hair no matter how much information you give people.

• I remember on a few occasions having to take home the dreaded letter from school saying that nits were doing the rounds. Upon receipt my mum would be swiftly up the local pharmacy to get the medicated shampoo before the other mums' cleared the shelves like a panicked scene from an end of days movie. Back home, i'd be dunked in a roasting hot bath, thoroughly 'medicated' and then the nit comb came out and battle commenced as I fought off its advances. My mum ended up wetter than me and the nit comb was clogged with my knotted hair, and more than likely zero nits! Memories. 

• My daughter has caught them in school a couple of times and they're a pain. Getting rid of them isn't fun but the really annoying thing is when others parents don't treat their kids head.. so you sort your kid out and they are clear and a week later they have it again. The solutions aren't exactly the cheapest so its annoying when you have to keep buying the stuff!

• My son got headlice from his childminders at 18 months old I was so shocked that he could get them so young. I couldn't use any of the lotions on his hair as he was too young so had to use comb and conditioner. Is it only me that keeps itching as i write this!

• I used to get headlice all the time when I was younger. I remember feeling so embarrassed! My mum always used to get the nit lotion which was so potent back in the day! I remember smelling the fumes and then having to sit there whilst she dragged a nit comb through my hair. It was a horrible experience.

Nowadays the experience isn't so bad. My daughter is eight and I check her hair regularly and use conditioner. If I find any headlice I comb her hair every day until they are all gone. Fingers crossed this method will continue to work!

• My children are 2 and 3 and haven't had nits yet, i am dreading it when they start school though and 30 heads are together all day!

• Hate them hate them hate them!!!

i have 3 girls all with long thick hair so usually when one gets them, they all do and usually pass them over to me too. So it’s an expensive job doing 4 heads xxxx

• My kids keeps getting them back from their friends.  Very infuriating.  I always get my hair check before going to the hairdressers just in case!

• I can still remember the horror of realising my 6 year old son had head lice, something I never really gave any thought to, and worse, had passed them on to me.  I spent a good 2 weeks going through his hair every night while he was in the bath with a lice comb, after having slathered him in tea tree conditioner and then drowning the nasty things.  I am the worst when it comes to 'bugs' so the idea of creepy crawlies in our hair freaked me out and I worried about transferring them to things in the house and washed linen and towels obsessively.. thankfully they disappeared after what felt like a LONG two weeks!!

• I am a nurse and I remember looking after a old lady once and you could literally see the lice jumping off her lovely white hair. I hate nits the thought of them Are a worry to me. I always condition my daughters hair and spray works too

• My little boy got head lice a few months ago, I couldn't believe it as he has such short hair!! I'm constantly checking his hair and both his sisters and we contacted the school when he had them but its still going around the school as parents don't check their children enough.

• The first time is always the worse, but then you get used to the odd school outbreak

• We've been so lucky with our 4 year old daughter so far as despite nits going around nursery we haven't caught them yet! I dread it happening though as we both have really long hair & i remember the ordeal the last time i had them.

I was 14 and we went on a holiday to France with another family. I was in the other family's car and feel asleep next to their young daughter with our heads touching. Needless to say 10 days later when we were back home i was itching my head off one sunday evening with no chemist open. My mum told me to coat my hair in conditioner and use the nit comb left over from a previous treatment which did get rid of loads & she went and got proper treatment the next day.

• I remember taking my little boy to the hairdressers & being taken outside to say he's got head lice. I was mortified these pesky critters fill us with dread ! Then I got them one night I put my head on the pillow I could hear them running round my head !  We used the potions headrun.derbac comb comb comb. But they seem immune to them. Zamousse is one treatment that gets rid of them in one go hooray kill those nits !!!

• My daughter has just started school and hasn't caught headlice yet. We have the metal special comb ready. My sister, mum and myself caught them at the same time when I was little and I remember having to wash my hair in the special shampoo and use the white comb. My dad never caught them from us, I assume his hair was too short.

• Luckily I havnt had head lice since I was a girl but it was recurrent as a classmates parent seemed to never bother trying to get rid of it and we'd get it all over again. 

I dread the day when my little one brings head lice home. Too much washing !

• I remember my sister once telling me that she was sitting on the bus and in front of her saw a head louse crawl from one persons head, across their shoulders to the other persons head......to this day I'm always cautious when some sits down next to me on my way to work!

• having 3 kids 2 school years apart it was constant head lice, even when i shaved the booys heads lol i spent hours combing through their hair and bought so much lyclear! i would say girls should wear plaits and boys well no idea as nothing i did stopped them but i will say as soon as they went to senior school the nightmare stopped. i personally think some parents just didnt get rid of them so they were constantly being shared

• I remember when i was young (over 50 years ago!) my grandma use to put vinegar in the final rinse water after shampooing my hair.  Not sure if it worked or just luck but i never got nits!

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions