Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Tell Lyclear your stories and thoughts about head lice: vouchers to win!

Replies

• My hairdresser first spotted my son's nits.  She wasn't bothered but I was so ashamed.  Most parents encounter them at some time and it's nothing to be embarrassed about

• Our little monkey got them on her first day at nursery, thankfully we noticed them before it became an infestation!

• I had head lice when I was 17 working in a children's nursery and it was horrible. My head was so itchy and it was so embarrassing. I had to go into work and explain the situation and they made me take time off.

• Frustration is what it causes me, daughter has always had really long hair always tied up but still managed to get them, her schools were not allow to pin point those who had them just a letter to all. My frustration is no matter what you do for your own unless all others do your child/children will still get them

• I spotted head lice on my daughters hair when she returned from a weekend away with brownie camp , I had to catch them on sellotape and tale to the chemist where I was given shampoo and a comb to use 

• Nothing to be ashamed of I certainly had them as a kid and mine has too, just got to keep on top of it!

• My daughter hasn't started school yet, but as she has long hair and likes hugging her friends I anticipate we'll have lice to deal with at some point...  I read somewhere that putting 10 drops of either tea tree or lavendar oil in shampoo and using it at each wash acts as a good deterrent to headlice, so I think I'll give that a go before I try any chemicals

• My daughter first had lice when she was about 7. I think with the first occurrence of them it's the worst as you don't think about the possibility of your child getting them so they have a good week or two to reproduce before you realise!  Since then we've had many an evening dedicated to lice treatment and vigorous combing sessions. It's just a normal part of being a parent. I thought we were done with the little critters but, even at the grand old age of 13, she caught them again recently. We just take it in our stride and get the good old Lyclear out again. I shall be very glad when we are finally free of these pesky blighters. It's making my head itch just thinking about it!

• My daughter was the first to get nits I kept treating them they would go but few days later come back because other parents wasn't treating their kids hair this continued on and of for 16 months moved them school not had nits since and the nitty gritty headlice comb has been amazing 

• i think ive been lucky as my son has never had head lice and fingers crossed he never does as you hear all the stories now that they are getting immune to most treatments. And i believe combing them out and their eggs can be a painstaking task , one which i would undertake if i had to 

• When my children have had nits I use a tea tree conditioner and slather their hair in it and comb it through with a special comb. I do this every night for a few nights then every other night for the next week or so. Luckily my girls have only had nits a couple of times each. I insist on their hair being up for school which helps a bit and if there's nits going round I'll check their hair each night just in case!

• I remember having nits as a child and having the treatment.  Now my grandchildren are at primary school and being constantly checked over.  The more awareness of this the better because you need everyone to keep on top of the situation to avoid it going round and round in circles!

• All kids get them at some point and as I work with children I too can get them ..I just wish that the treatments were all as effective as each other but i do find the metal nitty gritty combs ace!

• When my 2 daughters were at school we had a proper nit nurse who would check every child in school for Lice or Nits and if found they would have the right treatment. These days are long gone now so its about time they brought them back, although this will never happen.

• headlice are so easy to treat in this day and age. When i was younger you had to keep a horrible smelling solution on your hair over night! The smell was so strong you could smell it days later!! So easy to treat now! luckily my lil boy has only had them once x 

• My friend told me her daughter had head lice recently, after me spending the day with them. I spent the next two days scratching my head like crazy, thinking I had them too, only to realise it was all in my head (no pun intended), and I hadn't caught them at all. 

Just typing this has made me feel itchy! 

• Head lice was so bad in our school at one point that everyone caught it. Initially I thought I'd be fine as I have 3 boys with short hair who didn't cuddle in to their friends. I was wrong and it was just as tricky to de-lice them. The fact I had caught it too didn't help either. When they had it I was quite open and said on Facebook, great I have to de-lice the family, my Mum called me, embarrassed I would say something like that but I didn't see the problem

• I remember when I was about 8, waiting to take a ballet exam, sitting in the sunshine by a a big window in a room with lots of other children awaiting my turn. My very long hair was styled up into a bun for the exam, not a hair out of place. Just remember Mum saying Oh, you have something in your hair, then her spraying my hair with hairspray like mad. Nothing else was said. I did my ballet exam, then was rushed off to the pharmacy before they closed to buy a box of Lyclear! Apparently, Mum said she could see in the sunshine there was a giant louse marching up my hair. Ugh. Not a word was said as she didnt want to put me off the exam, just lots and lots of hairspray! I think she thought it would make it cough or stick it so it couldnt move! I had already been taken to the doctor a couple of days before with a rash all down my back which in retrospect was lice bites. So the signs were there, but no one realised the cause.  The relief after the lyclear was used was immense as apparently I was “alive”, and so it turned out was poor Mum!  It starts me scratching just thinking about it. 

• My youngest 2 and me have had nits so many times over the last year.  It is infuriating and was really getting me down.  I was suffering worse as I would treat the kids hair and I had to get my husband to do mine and he is not very thorough!! I've been at my mum's this weekend and she has done comb and conditioner on us all today! I think we are all clear at the moment!

• I remember I went on a sailing holiday and was hit on the head by the boom. The medic inspected my head and said, well you'll probably have a bruise but I also want you to know you have knits! I was horrified and very embarrassed.

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions