Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions

Tell Lyclear your stories and thoughts about head lice: vouchers to win!

Replies

• They're a nightmare when they are going around school! I keep a bottle of lyclear in just in case, it's so much easier with boys though long hair is a nightmare x

• I had to live with my grannie for a short time ,made a lovely friend who came from a large family all suffering from nits and of course I got them too.grannie got out the comb and vinegar and brown paper and banned me from my lovely friend.Thankfully when my children got them I didt have to resort to grannies remedy!

• I remember I used to get nits loads at school, I had a friend who had them a lot... I remember actually seeing them in her hair once. It's horrid, but there is definitely stigma around it because I remember at the time thinking I couldn't say anything! My poor mum caught them off me too, I'm dreading it when my daughter has longer hair. thankfully there are some excellent products on the market now - in my day it was toxic smelling gunk and a nit comb, yuk!

• My children went to a primary school in Canada for 2 years. The difference between there and UK is that they have a health worker come and check the children's heads and if any are found to have them then they are sent home with a letter, and the children are then required to stay away from School for a mandatory number of days until they have cleared up. I don't agree with having to stay at home, but I certainly think that heads should be checked. 

• What can I say about head lice, well I'm a pro in finding them now, my eldest is now 12 and has had them since she started school at the age of 3.. I've treated and treated & treated a million times but they keep coming back even though I've always tied her hair back. I've tried using tea tree shampoo & conditioner regular But makes no difference.  Since she started up the comprehensive school she's had them lots, she likes to wear her hair down (fashionable), we have daily rows over her hair as I want it tied back.🙈 She has given them a few times now to her 4 year old sister. I hate looking for the eggs takes so long, it's not pleasan.  I think the nits love my daughters blood!!😬

• The first time my girls got headlice they were both still in nursery. My youngest in particular had no idea what was happening when I had to treat them and wasn't at al keen on having the 'special' shampoo and comb through - I ended up having to give her a bowl of Haribo to eat through to keep her still. Luckily she didn't have much hair or she would have ended up with a poorly tummy too!

• I met my grandson's, best friend's Mother, literally scurrying from the chemist clutching a small bag like it had a smoking gun in it.

She looked so guilty and flustered - it made me wonder what was in the bag - but, my guesses were miles out.

A few days later, I learned the truth of the matter.

Her son had head lice - and, my grandchildren were not far behind her, in accomodating lice in their lovely, clean, hair.

I say clean hair, because I want to get it out there, that we are regular bathers - daily, in fact!

But, that is how lice make you feel - like you need a bell, and an 'unclean' mantle around your neck.

I am the main carer of my grandchildren while their parents work, so it was up to me to deal with the 'situation'.

Thanks to the fabulous products available, it was quite an easy task.

The reason we are so furtive is that we don't want our children to be 'snubbed', and for the other children to stampede away from them.

But, the fact is, that once one child has lice, every child will have lice - there is no avoiding it.

So, it is a good opportunity to teach our children kindness and acceptance, because it may be them tomorrow x

• My daughter had awful trouble with it’s at primary her close friends mum didn’t seem to want to deal with the problem. I spent a fortune on lotions thankfully shes now past it.

Well, four years ago my son gets nits for the first time, no big deal right? Well there things to know....

1) I had very long, very thick hair, down to my waist

2) I have bad reactions to chemicals

3) I lost it

I bought the special spiral metal comb and started to use natural treatments on my son, it didn't work, I was keeping them at bay but they were still there...madness set in, hours of combing and drowning lice every morning and evening...so in the end I sent him to his dads with the chemical shampoo....he was nit free.....but it didn't end there...

my head started to itch....oh the horror, what was I going to do, I couldn't get the nit comb remotely through my hair it was too thick....too long, I put my hair into two plaits and chopped them both off, chin length! Now then, I thought, I straighten my hair to make it finer, then set to work with the comb....hours of combing, errrrrrr, nits?? NITS WHERE ARE YOU? Yeah.....I didn't have 'em....but I got a new hairstyle out of it...true story. See the picturesimage

• As a mother of 7 there’s been a few encounters with nits over the years.  we’ve been lucky that’s we managed to avoid them 99% of the time.

with my girls the go to hair style which definitely helped was a bun with a tiny bit of gel spray to keep everything in place.  And as they didn’t understand what not were we told them they were like tiny spiders (they hate spiders!) that’s some children get in their hair. So they mustn’t share hats, put heads together or play with each other hair.. and touch wood, that’s done the trick.

on the rare occasion in past when the were unlucky to get them. We used a comb and loads of conditioner and got rid that way

• I remember the 'Nit Nurse' telling us all about headlice: How they only like clean hair etc etc. But what interested me was when she said that the lice change colour to blend with your hair colour. I put up my hand and asked what happened if you had green hair? (It was the punk era after all.) I don't think she appreciated the question!

• my mum said I seemed to catch these quite a lot as a child, I had really long hair. The last time I had them I was 14 and honestly we tried alsorts to get rid of them and they just wouldn't go! I think it was because my hair was far too long it was well past my bottom! So my mum cut my hair and gave me a bob! I was mortified but once she did that and used product they finally went. My daughter is in year one of primary school now and so far she hasn't caught any but she does have really long hair! I am dreading the day she catches them. 

• I remember my daughter getting nits, she had really long hair and it was a nightmare combing it through with the special comb. Then a couple of weeks later she got reinfected. The outbreak went on for ages in her class with children re- infecting each other. The local chemist run out of the lotion.

• I got head lice for the first time when I was 11. I have always had long, very thick, wavy hair. So god knows how ling I had them for before we noticed. We used to go swimming every week. One week I went with my best friend Leanne and had a sleepover with her the same night. Fast forward to the next morning. Woke up and went downstairs for breakfast. And to my horror, out falls an ugly little critter for my head!!! Right into my cereal. I panicked. The only thing I could think of doing was spilling the entire bowl hopkng no one would notice. I then pretended to be unwell so I could go home early. My mum checked my head and she said it was the worst infestation she had ever seen. I had to get my gorgeous, butt length hair, chopped to my chin. I was devastated. Luckily nowadays, it's much easier and more pleasant to treat head lice.

• I've always had a nit comb and nit stuff in my cupboard just in case. I can't abide insects so I couldn't handle the thought of them crawling around in mine or my sons hair. Luckily neither of us have had them to date:-)

• I don't really think it's that much if a taboo subject, at least not with the people I know! It seems that every other week theres an email from the school saying that there is a case of headline going around and in face there was a notice at my sons pre school about it today too! My eldest daughter had it once a few years ago. We treated it (it took hours!!) and touch wood she nor her her siblings have had it since!

• We've had one case of lice when my daughter started school in YR. We used a comb to get them out and used a tea tree shampoo which seemed to work.

I have to say we aren't a ''wash hair every day" family, only when needed every few days or after sweaty sports, messy play etc. Striping hair or natural oils isn't healthy.

• I check my kids hair everyday straight after school, i wash with tea tree shampoo and comb tea tree oil through after a wash, and i spray their hair with prevention stuff on school days. I had a year where my girls just kept getting them and was costing a fortune i kept getting the school to tell people so they would check their kids too to help stop mine getting them, so now i do everything i can to try and prevent an infestation! when i get an email now from school saying there has been an outbreak i "itch" to get my kids hone and check them lol.

• The first time my daughter caught nits my husband was adamant they were in fact greenfly. Thankfully I tend to be in charge of nits !

• Three children at three different school and we were constantly playing nit roulette!  I get the impression that certain children weren't being treated so they just kept coming back, despite me treating my children regularly.  In the end I chose to treat my children's hair routinely with Vosene and it seemed to work.  I've always tied my daughters hair in tight plaits - but even the boys with short hair struggled.  My poor daughter gets a nasty allergic reaction every time she gets them (though fortunately she hasn't had them in over 6 months now).  I'm hoping we're at the tail end of our nit story - it's been long and arduous!!

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions