Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Tell Aunt Bessie’s what makes your roast dinner the best and why: £200 voucher up for grabs!

Replies

• Crispy roast potatoes and delicious gravy. A great time to bring the whole family together and enjoy ourselves :)
  • For a calmer kitchen, happy family and a life less stressie
    My Sunday roast is effortless thanks to help from my Aunt Bessie
  • Our roast is about the food and about the family.
    They go hand in hand. 
    We cook one as often as we can, my husband has taken over as he loves it and finds it relaxing.
    He always cooks the meat well, has it on a trivet of fresh veg so it does not dry out, he rests it adding foil and a clean tea towel over the top. We joke it gets treated like a part of the family.
    We have about 5 + vegetables and enjoy trying new ways to cook them, eg carrots roasted in cumin. Our faves are leeks and carrots slow cooked in butter.
    The potatoes are perfection, rolled in semolina and fluffy.
    Yorkshires homemade or Aunt Bessie's and we often make more so we can pick at them later. We have them with all meats.
    The best part of the roast is the chat around the table as we leisurely eat until we are fit to burst.

• We grow our own veggies in the summer because the flavour of them is so much more intense than any carrots etc bought in the supermarket. They taste delicious with some home made gravy and Bessie's Yorkshire puds!
  • i think it has to be my gravy! I use all the juices from the meat and use lots of cornflour to make it lovely and thick!! Its lovely and everyone says how nice i make it! x  
  • I think it's because we are all together enjoying a lovely meal and having a catch up. The grandchildren love stories about their mummies and daddies, who in turn retell stories about when nanan burnt the boiled eggs and other little gems
  • I make the crispiest roast potatoes & provide lashings of gravy & that's why my family love my roast dinner
  • Shaking the potatoes after they have been part boiled before roasting them makes them nice and fluffy in the middle
  • Our family might be small, but our appetites are big and roast dinners are a time to catch up over yummy food!  My cooking isn't the best, but Aunt Bessie makes sure I can do no wrong when I serve up the most delicious, crisp Yorkshire puddings to go with thick gravy and steamed veggies! 
  • Love the roast potatoes
  • My family love my roast carrots, as they are so sweet I think
  • My homemade yorkshire puddings!! They're always wonky and uneven but delicious. 
  • Has to be my home made apple pie
  • We love roast dinners, its the only meal we all like, so I don't have to cook different meals.  When we have any kind of roast we have all the trimmings, stuffing, yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, mashed potato, mixed veg, normally peas and carrots and covered with onion gravy.
  • I will be honest I am not that great at rost dinners so I cheat where ever I can. My kids love yorkshire pudding so I use Aunt Bessie's its always a hit. I use Aunt Bessie's sweet puddings too and the kids think I am a great cook
  • Everyone loves it because it is a deep flavoured and tender roast. Why? Because it is a well-seasoned roast with a generous helping of garlic and spices. Served with potatoes steamed then baked with the roast. 
  • I roast nearly all the vegetables! Broccoli, cabbage, parsnips, curly kale. I steam the rest. I make roast potatoes by par boiling them, tossing them around in a colander and then roasting them. Gravy is shop-bought but from an award-winning local butchers. Fabulous!
  • It has to be stuffing and yorkshire puddings. My family love both and without them, it just doesn't feel like a proper roast dinner. It's also a great time for us all to catch up and spend some quality time together.
  • all love I put into it
  • It's perfect for family get togethers, that's what makes them amazing, whether I cook from scratch or have a helping hand from Aunt Bessie!
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions