Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions

Tell Share Parental Leave how the parenting is shared out in your family: win a £200 voucher

Replies

• I love the idea of fairer conditions for dads as well as mums although it isn't something that has effected me.  I was brought up in the traditional way with a stay at home mum and hard working Dad but still spent lots of quality time with him at weekends.  When my son was born care was very much shared and most of my friends have a very adaptable approach like this due to the demands of life!
  • edited Mar 30, 2019 5:22PM
    He works full time but we share the childcare completely when he is not at work. 
  • well this doesn't really apply to my family as my son has no dad, but his grandad is a huge part of his life and looks after him regularly
  • My childs father was the bread winner back in the day but did do the bottle fees and the odd nappy change. The was before I became a one parent family. The male role models that did surround my child, they did everything that my childs dad would have a role in.
  • We are a married couple, both currently working we have an 18 month old and Im 39 weeks pregnant (I intend to work until my waters break). My husband does little to nothing childcare wise, and if he does he seems to think he deserves some kind of medal. Id love shared parental leave, as it would give me the oppurtunity to work and have 'adult' conversation as well as give my husband the opportunity to see how difficult caring for children full time actually is. I believe it would benefit our children too, as it would give them an opportunity to spend time with both parents rather than just mainly me.
  • My husband is the full time wage earner in my house. I am disabled and dont work . He does do his fair share of the childcare duties at weekend , although he is a little soft and will let our daughter eat chocolate for breakfast if i dont watch him lol 
  • I'm a stay at home dad so I'm the main child carer

• I was so lucky that hubby was so hands on with all our kids and loved doing night feeds at the weekends or getting up earlier to let me sleep before he went to work. He done lots of bottles and thought nothing of nappy changes or bathing. The total opposite to my sister's hubby who would cuddle and push the pram but never did a night feed, bath or change and I felt really sorry that he missed out on all those special times which he know regrets. 
    Guess it's all to do with how they are raised and what male influences they have in their lives, but this is just IMO 
  • My husband works 5 days a week, I'm a full time mum at the moment, I was working when I had one little but now that I have 3 little ones, it's just not worth me working because we worked out childcare will cost more then I would earn. My eldest is at school, middle one is starting school this September and youngest is due to start nursery in September. Once the littlest one is at school I would like to get back to work.
  • Not a lot - just the odd evening
  • My husband has always looked after the children. He was their primary care giver when they were very young as I had to go back to work full time when they were 10 weeks old. He has been a fabulous father and as a result the children really love him. 
  • We share it, he is out working during the week so i do 90% of it then and at weekends he likes to do it and it flips around...
  • we are so lucky. I work in a school 9-3, my partner is self employed so he takes our 4 year old to school and collects her and I am off all of the holidays :)
  • My husband and I share things equally when we are both at home although he works more than me so it's not every day he's there. He definitely makes up for it when he is though :)
  • My husband works compressed hours so does 4 long days, he is always off on a Wed so does all of the childcare that day which includes sitting in the swimming baths for over 2.5 hrs whilst the kids have swimming lessons
  • My partner an I share all the household duties so we will take it in turns to cook and clean most of the house
  • It's not quite 50/50 but near enough. We have to co-ordinate our working days. I take to school/nursery and he picks up. He looks after them in the afternoons, I take over in the evenings when he goes to work. He works nights and goes to bed when we all leave in the morning, but is up to pick them up again in the afternoon while i'm still at work. It's a well oiled machine, but tough to keep up sometimes.
  • My fiance works full time during the week and I am a stay at home mum. He does most parenting at the weekends and does an hour after he gets home from work! I don't expect much as he does enough just providing for us as a family :)
  • babysits at at the weekends, feed the baby every evening before bed
  • None. He hasn't even met his son.
    We do just fine without him though 
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions