Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tell Share Parental Leave how the parenting is shared out in your family: win a £200 voucher

Replies

• Options
    My partner is lucky because his company is very flexible and allows him to work from home whenever he likes. He works from home twice a week to help with childcare and I've started to go back to work part time.
  • Options
    I am very lucky that my hubby is very hands on when it comes to child care. He realises the importance of him spending time with them on his own for bonding and also so that I can get a break and get away from just being a mum occasionally. 
  • Options
    My husband is very good with my two kids. He will get on the floor and play with them and get into their imaginary games and role play games. He doesn't really take them out and about without me, well he will when it's only him and one of them not not the two of them. He does bedtime every night also and is generally very involved. We didn't take shared parental leave though, but if we were to have another child I think we would definitely consider it.
  • Options
    Childcare is split very evenly, whoever is not working is in charge of our daughter, it is close to 50-50, when evened out over time.
  • Options
    We have a 50/50 split, both working part-time, not ideal sometimes, but works for us
  • Options
    He does most of the cooking, and will happily watch any rubbish on tv they want to for hours!
  • Options
    My husband is the main earner, so I am the main childcare provider. When he is not in work, he makes sure to spend plenty of time with our son, both to enjoy his company & to make sure I get a break to do what I would like now & again
  • Options
    As a gay couple, the childcare is done entirely by Dads! I work full time, whereas my partner is home in the week to look after the kids.
  • Options
    My partner works full time, after both of our children he had the 2 weeks off parental leave but he loves his job and I'd already made the decision that i was going to leave my job and do a degree from home so I didn't need him to take any more time off.  As our children have grown though he has had to take on more responsibility in getting the kids to school in the mornings and he does all the packed lunches etc, we share the parenting 'jobs' between us most of the time with a bit of direction from me! The shared time off that they offer now is a fab idea and will help dads to spend more time with their newborns :-)
  • Options
    My partner and I both work full time, he starts later in the day though so he does the school run in the morning. If our son is off school he will stay at home with my partner in the mornings and I will leave work early to swap over - we both have quite flexible jobs. Grandparents are usually around to take over if both of us are tied up.
  • Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with shared parental leave, I think it just depends on your personal situation. We have not considered it, but I think that its worth considering in the future.
  • Options
    We are currently expecting so this was a recent conversation, but due to wanting to breastfeed it seems to make much more sense for me to take maternity leave whilst partner stays working full time. 
  • Options
    My husband works full time but will take the baby in the evening for an hour or so and put our toddler to bed. He also helps in the night with the baby! 
  • Options
    We try to share as much as we can when looking after our 8 week old daughter: nappies, winding, settling, cuddling and some (bottle) feeding. He lets me sleep when I need it and I do the same for him. Shared parental leave is great but I still think paternity should be longer. 
  • Options
    My husband works full time but still does as much as he can for our girl. He loves playing with her and taking her out to the park or just playing indoors. He helps with the housework too and tidies away her toys.
  • Options
    My partner works from home full time whilst I do 2 days a week. He will often take the children to school or pick them up on my work days. He will get the children ready for school and make breakfast and packed lunches. He cooks tea if he is not busy working. He also does baths at bedtime and we share the bedtime routine nightly. I do the majority of the housework. He is away on business some of the time so it's swings and roundabouts. It seems to work well on the whole. 
  • Options
    My hubby drops off the kids and picks them up after school. Fortunately our jobs overlap.
  • Options
    My hubby worked for an American company during my mat leave. He would have loved to share parental leave but as would have been on statutory pay we couldn't afford the pay cut. He did get made redundant when 2nd was 6 month old and took time then which was great for the family to have time together, but he still didn't quite do 50% of the childcare/house work. 
  • Options
    Currently I'm on maternity leave and he works full time, but we're looking to do SPL from about 9-12m (not sure yet on how we'll split it).

For first few months when sleep was very broken and feeding relentless my husband did almost all the housework and made sure I was fed, had snacks ready for during the night and my water bottle was always full etc, he also took our daughter for 8-12pm each night and bottle fed her in the middle of that so I could get some solid sleep.

Now she's 4m and feeding quicker and less often we share the housework and playing with / holding / changing her etc of an evening and weekend. We both bathe her together. 
  • Options
    My hubby is fab. We share the housework, cooking and child care between us. He looks after the children if I need a nap. He is really supportive. I couldn't ask for better. He deserves a medal, especially putting up with me and my postnatal depression. He's a good dad and my rock. 
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions