Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Tell Share Parental Leave how the parenting is shared out in your family: win a £200 voucher

Replies

• I work full time as a teacher so Monday to Friday. My husband works in the tourism/hospitality industry so splits his five days across the week. He looks after the children on a Tuesday to save on childcare fees and we have a family day on Saturday. I’m so grateful that he is able to work around our family as my job is not flexible like that. 
  • My husband is very hands on. After child #1, I returned to work full time, and we found a flexible childminder who was willing to fit in with my husband’s shifts. 
    After child #2 I returned to work three days a week, and the children are in nursery two days a week, with husband or MIL providing care for the third day. 
    Thats said, if there’s illness or appointments it usually falls in me to take time off work as employers seem to expect mums to do this. 
  • So my partner is a stay at home dad.  I had a good job I am very passionate about I manage contractors for oil and gas companies.  We decided I would only take 6 months maternity leave and then chris took on the role of stay at home parent.  It’s fantastic I am able to peruse my career and passion and Elliot and chris have the best relationship.  I also think I have a good understanding of his day to day and how hard it can be so support him a lot by giving him a break when I can.  We love family activities but Elliot and I also have our own play dates to give daddy time to rest.   When we decided to do this it was faced by a lot of fear criticism as it’s not the normal but it works for us and can work for others! Thanks Katie 
  • My husband worked full time while I was on maternity leave with our furst child, mostly because with it being our first child I was pretty selfish about wanting to take every day I could.
    Now I'm expecting our second our circumstances have changed, I'm the higher earner in the family, and I love my career, so we've decided to take shared parental leave. I'll be taking the first 9 months so that I'm around for feeding and weaning, and then my husband will be taking over for the final three. As a bonus we'll get 4 weeks of crossover when I use up my acccrued holiday.
    My husband can't wait, and I feel happy knowing I'll be getting back into my career that bit sooner. 
  • To be honest..... sweet F A  :/
  • My Husband is very hands on and we have always shared any childcare. He takes time off work equal to me for sickness etc
  • We are planning on using our parents for childcare to keep costs down and splitting the time equally.
  • My husband is a stay at home dad to our 3 home educated kids (7,5,2). I also work from home so we have a great flexible schedule. Hubby does the cooking, dishes and laundry and I do the bedrooms, bathrooms, general cleaning jobs. He takes the 3 kids out every week to their hobbies and classes, visits family and any home ed events. I get my work done when the house is quiet and any housework I can get done if I have any time. 
  • As I've brought my son up alone, his father had no contact at all, which has been fine with me, I know most think two parents are important, but my son doesn't seem to feel the loss of what he's never known, and his dad made the decision, so it's been out of my hands. Of course, I've never talked badly about the man to him, as one day he'll meet him, and I don't want to be the bad guy. It's a story I've seen a lot of women experience, which is sad, a lot of men want nothing to do with their children. I hope one day my son meets him and knows who he is, and makes his own decision x
  • We didn’t do shared parental leave mainly because of the pay difference between me & my partner, however he does help out a lot at home he always gives lily a bath & puts her to bed on a week day as by the time he gets home from work he only has a couple of hours with her before she goes to bed he always does Harry’s last feed of the day with him to get some bonding time in! He’s an amazing dad 💙
  • I do the majority of the childcare, but as I work part time and my husband works full time that's fair enough. He does do most of the cooking though, which is great!
  • My husband helps out with everything- save for the feeding as I am breastfeeding. 
  • My partner works full time but at home on a Friday- so I’m able to work part time. He looks after the kids on a Saturday too. The kids we pretty much do 50:50 and I think it’s great dads r able to share the maternity now. Wasn’t worth it in our case as he earns more than me. 
  • My husband comes home in time to do bath time and bed. We take it in turns tonslto in at weekends and also take it in turns to take them to various activities.
  • My husband worked, but was very hands on and would get up to do the night feeds and nappy changes x
  • the dad in the family works full time so looks after the kids at the weekends
  • Dad is always happy to look after the kids whenever, he enjoys their company and I couldn't ask for more help thankfully :smile:
  • My hubby is ill so I do most of the childcare 
  • I earn significantly more than my other half, so he tends to stay at home and do much more of the child care than I do. We try to split it as equally as possible, but for financial reasons it makes more sense for me to work more hours than him. 
  • My kids are grown up and my ex-husband was never one to stay at home with them, for whatever reason. My daughter's partner is different, very hands on, and shares the responsibility, taking time off work equally with my daughter if their son is ill and during the holidays.
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions