Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tell Aldi your tips that won’t break the bank for keeping kids busy this summer: win a £200 voucher

Replies

• Options
    Walks to the local park, and days out to National Trust/English Heritage Properties. We buy an annual pass when there is a sale on and alternate each year between the two, so we get a bigger choice.
  • Options
    My kids love setting their own obstacle course around the garden using whatever comes to hand. wears them out so they sleep well too
  • Options
    We try to go out every day, either to the park or the beach.  If the weather's inclement we may just walk to the shop, choose ingredients for lunch and then go home and cook it together, which encourages them to think about what they're eating and try new foods.
  • Options
    On the first day of the holidays we make a big 'activities bingo board' which we stick up on the wall. It's about 20 things to do and the kids choose them.  It's usually a mix of the totally achievable 'feed the ducks'  'visit beach' 'have a play date', slightly more leg work 'build a robot' 'sleep in the garden' and erm...challenging...'meet the Paw Patrol' was one last year.  Each time we do an activity we stick a photo from it on the right board square.  At the end of the summer we add all the squares to our summer holidays photo album.
  • Options
    We have shared the cost of a beach hut with another family and we have annual passes to Flamingoland as well as Merlin passes.  We find paying upfront helps us to budget, but we always have lots of things to do. 
  • Options
    Treasure hunts in the garden, painting and drawing, a day out to the beach and a picnic, baking cakes in the kitchen, so many things and not too expensive.
  • Options
    I always stick a tent up in the back garden. The kids feel like they've got their own space and get really territorial over it. Peace and quiet inside.
  • Options
    We like to do homemade nature trails. Another winner is letting the children use their cameras in the garden to take pictures of things they find interesting. We then come in and draw what we have seen and taken pictures of too.failing that, a park trip!
  • Options
    We are lucky to live in Devon so we just spend as much time outside as possible - the beach, the moors, the woods...
  • Options
    Anything outside really.. a good scavenger hunt with just a list and a bag . Geocaching is brilliant and the ap is free for your phone . Go on a bike ride or walk with a picnic at the end . Water games with wellies full of water as a relay . 
  • Options
    If you have any friends with children, offer to babysit them. The children entertain themselves and you might get some babysitting in return to give you a day off. Combine it with an historic Scotland membership and you can take them to historic castles, it's great fun exploring ruins, but I always get nervous when they peer over high walls. (Historic Scotland are generous with the number of children who can enter with an adult member, I assume historic England etc are the same)
  • Options
    Plan, plan, plan and for everyday.  Talk to other parents for ideas and make sure you have a break too.  Picnics to the beach or park are simple and cheap days out, take their friends as they then have someone to play with.  Then hope the other parents reciprocate so you have time to recharge. 
  • Options
    We have a National Trust pass, so try and visit as many National Trust places as possible. We take a picnic which the kids help to make to reduce the costs. We also bake, have a paddling pool in the garden and try and do as many activities in our own garden, or at local parks. The library near us also have some events and free activities on over the summer to participate in.
  • Options
    My oldest loves to cook and bake so we brought an ice cream machine and make up some random flavours together. We make them healthier than buying them and he has loads of fun coming up with ideas. We also like to try and go for picnics as often as possible with family or friends 
  • Options
    Having had 4 children in 5 years money was (and remains ) quite tight. Holiday entertaining was challenging so we would all take ‘collecting bags’ to the local park and fill them with exciting things leaves twigs etc then make a big collage at home with them .... water painting was also free big pots of water and big paintbrushes to paint on outside walks or pavements. Made our own play dough and made a cafe with the ‘food ‘ they made with it. Now they are teenagers we play games of ‘do the ironing ‘ or ‘ bring your washing down’ !!!!!  
  • Options
    We visit the local country parks in our area. They all have assault courses, play areas, and nature walks. I load up the car with a large picnic, and changes of clothes so it doesn't matter how dirty we get! We can spend whole days having fun for the price of a car parking ticket and ice-creams all round. Am I the only grandparent who actually looks forward to schools being closed for six weeks?! 
  • Options
    I buy things to play with, outdoor games, books & craft items all year from Aldi and I keep them to one side then all different weather situations are covered! We have walks in the country & at the beach and we always take a picnic to save money. Family railcards & coach cards are a must! I also enter every competition that has family prizes and tickets.
  • Options
    I we look for free things to do in our area, and usually there is a few like nature trails we go on lots of picnics kids love them and collect bits n bobs like shells and stones from the seaside and cones and leafs from the woods then on rainy days we do crafting with them which they also love
  • Options
    Kîds love to paint with water! Get buckets and brushes and let them paint the fence etc! I also love getting big chalks for driveway pictures! 
  • Options
    We decorate rocks and hide them around our area. We have a facebook page which we post a find on, then we re-hide the rock for someone else to find. Its great fun and the children love it. It gets them out and about and costs next to nothing.
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions