Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions

Tell Aldi your tips that won’t break the bank for keeping kids busy this summer: win a £200 voucher

Replies

• Go on bike rides .Go to park .Go for a long walk and see what you come across. Swimming at the swimming pool is a cheap trip out .You can find discounts on cereal boxes and hand wash soap to theme parks and a few different places .Instead of paying for food and drinks, which can be costly take a picnic and drinks with you.
  • We go on lots of trips to the park and natural beauty spots in our area. We collect twigs, rocks etc and use them in our crafts when painting etc. I also invested in some toys for the garden which I'll rotate to keep them entertained
  • We always do lots of baking which we use to have picnics in the park. We camp out in the garden and play games. On rainy days we have a big craft box of old wrapping papers, cards and odds and ends which we use.
  • We have signed up to the National Trust. For around a tenner a month, it provides unlimited days out which are free apart from petrol or travel costs and packing a picnic! They have lots of free activities on in the summer hols too
  • My son has started a small vegetable patch in the garden and absolutely loves tending to it :) This was very cheap to do, has him spending a lot of time in the fresh air and hopefully we will have some lovely home grown veg soon :-D He is very proud of his garden :smile:
  • Ours love going to the beach which is not too far from us, there is also a cycle track and they love cycling along it to a fab park. We also have mountains within a close distance that have country parks within, so really it is only the cost of petrol and a picnic 
  • I have been looking on social media for the local fun days and open days, we went to a police one last year and took our own picnic. The kids had a great time and came home with loads of freebies. Pride in Cardiff was also really good as they gave out loads of bags of sweets the kids said it was like Halloween with all the free sweeties. We also go to the local splashpad, the local park and have playdates with their friends from school.

If the weather is looking a bit rubbish I get out the arts and craft boxes. I usually keep an eye out for cheap arts and craft bits throughout the year to keep them going through the summer, as you never know with the British weather.
  • Get the kids involved in cooking, baking or food prep. You could make cakes or salad or fruit salad. Remember that you can exchange your tesco vouchers earned through your clubcard for days out. This could treble the amount they are worth. Head down to your local park, lido or beach for a picnic and or splash. Get crafty outdoors or go on a nature trail

• Collectlect petals and berries or flower petals from the garden. Use little jars and put the petals and water in the jars. Food colouring can be used to make up "exotic"  perfumes.
    Think up names and label.
  • We have a stream near us, which is great for splashing, its also need a local beauty spot, so we can spend hours walking as well, take a picnic and we have a full day we less than a fiver
  • Keep an eye out on local groups on social media - they often advertise free / cheapevents 
  • Mini-beast hunts are always a good way of getting out and about with purpose.  Plus you can spend time drawing and learning about the insects you find at a later time if it's rainy.
  • I keep old birthday and christmas cards and we cut them up and make pictures with them
  • Make a den in the garden using old sheets and blankets, the washing line or trees etc.  Grow some veg from seeds.  Go on a Treasure/Scavenger Hunt using clues that encourage walking, using public transport, finding landmarks etc and pack a picnic. 

Do one activity eg, making cup cakes and then let that activity lead you to your next activity eg where does flour come from and carry on like this

Write a ghost or scary story together taking turns in writing a line.
  • I make a little diary for the holidays and write at least one activity in each day - even if it's just making crispie cakes or walking to the park or going to the beach. It doesn't have to be expensive. This means that even if it's the only activity you do that day, there is something to look forward to. Oh, and don't let the rain deter! 
  • We like to bake! And use food colouring to make brightly coloured cakes! 
    My hubby and girls love to eat cakes.
  • Gardening, litter picking, going to the park, swimming, water balloon fights, strawberry picking, walking the dogs, day out in the peak district. There are plenty of activities to do if you do a bit of research.
  • Being out in the garden. Sprinkler on, paddling pool, water pistols, painting with water, chalks, water table. There’s so much to do out there that’s doesn’t cost a lot.
  • We have signed up for KidsPass which costs only £2.99 a month and gives us access to over 50% off cinema tickets and days out. If we didn't have that we wouldn't be able to go to the cinema as often. On sunny days we just get the paddling pool out in the garden - its free and keeps the kids entertained for hours while the adults prepare a delicious BBQ.
  • You can't beat a nature walk. Incorporate a quiz, an ispy with a list of birds and animals, or pick up some leaves and twigs to make a collage later.
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions