Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Share great stories about your dog and what they mean to your family: £200 voucher courtesy, Winalot

Replies

• Chloe our dog is our world. She is like our fur baby when we could not have children naturally. She gives us a purpose, meaning and reason to get up, to go for long walks and to meet and talk to other people and dogs which we may not have done without her. She is a bonkers character that makes us laugh but is loving so will be there to comfort us through the hard times. We are now after much fertility treatment and many miscarriages expecting our first child and I know she will become as protective and loving to them like she is for us. This child will even more complete our crazy lil family and we would do anything and everything to make Chloe and our new child happy and healthy as she does for us and as we love her muchly.
  • Our family dog Scooby is a blessing in a fur coat. He is so lively, full of joy but mostly he is the protector to my grandson. Cant wait to watch these 2 grow up together. 
  • This is Stanley our 10year old Labradoodle. He is full of life, playfulness and mischief and we wouldn’t be without him. He is very demanding ....resting his head on your lap when he wants a cuddle or thinks it’s time for a walk. He has kept us fit with long walks in the Derbyshire Dales and is a great listener, turning his head sideways in an effort to pick out words he understands.
  • My dog has an addiction to jumping in lakes and ponds but hasn't worked out once he is in how to get out
  • Choosing Alfie was one of the best choices I could ever have made for our family. My bipolar was taking a turn for the worse and I just needed companionship, we were going to get a therapy dog but then thought why not get a puppy we can train for ourselves. Alfie is now 1, he knows when my mood is taking a slump, learns new tricks in only 24 hours and is the families treasure 
  • My dog Paddy is nearly fifteen and has been a best friend to us since she arrived 2 weeks before my daughter, she has been kind & loyal and always happy to listen to any grumbles or tears.  She is now completely deaf but still loves her food and walks, although very slow walks now.  We treasure every day with her now and we know we are blessed to have had her for so long. 
  • We don't have a dog at the moment, but having come from a dog loving family and having the kids pressuring me almost daily then I think it will only be a matter of time.
  • Max my Labradors Setter cross, was my fur baby after the kids left home and used to sleep on top of my bed.  When I met my partner and he moved in Max was not well pleased. One night Max was lying in the middle of us and must have been feeling a bit cramped, so he got up and cried to be let out into the back garden, when my partner got up to let him out Max scarpered back up stairs leaving Harry on the patio and Max lying on top of the bed in Harry's place. He also only liked to drink his water if it was fresh and chilled so would not drink out of his water bowl he would run upstairs and cry at the bathroom tap for you to come upstairs and turn it on for him.  He certainly was a character, there are so many tales to tell, I do miss him very much xx
  • our dog Jack bring the whole family together. We all enjoy evening walks together whist walking him. Jack is a great companion for everyone in the family but he's particularly close to my 10 year old son. Their best buddies 
  • Our family dogs mean the world to us and they are family. When my step dad goes away, they make my Mum feel safe and bring her joy. 
  • Unfortunately my beautiful, snuggly Doberman has been dead for a while now, but he brought so much light into my life! My Dad rescued him from an abusive home one day; I came home from being out with my friends one night to find a dog in our living room with no explanation, so I did what any teenager would have done - bribed him with my chippy sausage to become my best friend :)

He was a huge, black doberman who was born before it became illegal to dock ears and tails. so he had a tiny little stump and pointy ears, but when he was happy that small stump wagged more than any other dog's tail I'd ever seen. Despite his size, power, and speed, he was the cuddliest animal I ever met. He used to sleep on my toes every night, curled up, and I'd always wake up with numb feet from his big lump of a body lying on them. My dad and I used to take him to the loch near our house late at night, so he could run free without any other humans or dogs to bother him, and when we let him off the lead you'd think he'd entered hyperdrive with how fast he would disappear off into the darkness!

Eventually, he got old, he slowed down, and it became clear he was struggling to be his same self, so we took him to the vets. Incurable cancer.

We spoiled him so much for the next few days - With the amount of treats that boy got, I'm surprised he could even move when it came time to take him to the vets for his final goodbye.

It was heartwrenching, holding his big paw as we said goodbye, but he'd brought so much happiness into my family's life that it was easy to remember the light, love, happiness and bonding he'd brought whenever I felt sad over losing him. I still miss him, to this day, even thought he died nearly a decade ago.

See you again over the rainbow bridge, Vader.
  • We really miss our Boxer - SO MANY GREAT MOMENTS - frightening at the time but funny after the event was the time he got stung in the mouth by a bee. Huge swelling - phoned vet - advised to keep him calm and hold a bag of frozen peas on the swelling.

It worked within 15 minutes and there was huge relief all round.
  • My dog, Teddy, means the world to my family! He is the best fur brother to my daughter (who is 2) and son (who is 8 months old). He has my daughter screaming with laughter! He loves to jump in her ball pit with her and tip every single ball out! Much to both of their amusements! He also loves to cuddle up next to my baby and is so gentle with him! Even when the baby is grabbing his tail and ears! He is so loving and just loves to play with my kids! 
  • Our dog brings us all together as a family especially when we go out for walks together.  We share out the responsibility of looking after our Dog between our 3 children. 
  • When my daughter was very ill, our dog was a best friend for her
  • What our dogs bring to our family - sharing in looking after them, plenty of family walking trips. indoor and outdoor playtime and a welcome for everyone when they get home.

• Our dog brings us together as a family, we go for walks together, something we never did before getting her!
  • Our labradoodle ozzy brings lots of laughter to our house. He worked out how to open doors all by himself, and through watching him, my sister's dog has now learnt the same trick. He's hard work at times, but we'd be lost without him! He's a real character
  • I have two wonderful dogs, but I would like to tell you about my parents dog, Meadows.
    My Father had gone to check on the pigs, when my Mother went into labour.
    It was around 5pm in february, and snow covered the ground, and it was bittterly cold.
    My Mother decided to go to take a short cut over some fields, to the pig sty, to fetch Dad.
    But, she began to haemorrhage, and collapsed.
    Meadows, a whippet, who was with Mam, took off to the pig sty.
    When Dad saw Meadows, he knew something was wrong - very wrong - Meadows never left Mam's side usually.
    Dad used the path to start back home, but stopped when he saw Meadows taking off full pelt across the fields.
    Dad followed, and found Mam unconcious.
    It was touch and go for Mam and my older sister, Valerie, who was born on February 14th.
    They both pulled through - thanks to Meadows - who was a legend in her own lifetime and beyond.

• When we had our dog Sandy as a kid, she used to be given a roast dinner in a bowl by mum every Sunday, and on doing so Sandy would meticulously remove all the brussel sprouts and line them up in a row next to the bowl... she was having none of that!
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions