Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Share with Aunt Bessie’s what makes your Christmas dinner the best and why: £200 Amazon prize!

Replies

• We have the traditional turkey with all the trimmings, what makes it the best is the massive choice of desserts we get every year! There’s always too many that look tasty to pick just one!!
  • Our Christmas dinner is the best to us because it's one day of the year where all our immediate family are together, lots of love, laughter, great conversation and delicious food.
    My in-laws welcome us with a glass of warm mulled wine, we play some games then all sit down to an amazing home made feast and eat til we're stuffed. My lovely mother-in-law always searches for a delicious veggie alternative to turkey for me and they put on a huge spread of meats, home-made stuffing, crispy roast potatoes, fluffy Yorkshire puddings (Aunt Bessies naturally!) and an array of colourful veggies. Dessert is always mince pies, Christmas pudding and something special from M&S. I can't wait!
  • We have lamb as my husband struggles to eat and i always make the gravy with the lamb juices and add a good spoonful of mint sauce to it and it really makes the dinner sing
  • We have home made potato soup for starter, then the full works for main course, turkey, sprouts, carrots, sausagemeat, stuffing, chipolatas, pigs in blankets, gravy, bread sauce and cranberry sauce.  Dessert is home made sherry trifle.  We can usually manage some leftover turkey sandwiches in the evening.  Then a long walk on Boxing Day morning before more leftovers!
  • Christmas dinner is a full affair of everyone's favourites!
    We have Turkey and roast beef as the meats. Then for veggies I prepare carrots, parsnips, brussel sprouts (yum!!), brocolli and roasted garlic potatoes. We can't go without Aunt Bessies yorkshire puds, the quality is great and it means one less thing to make!
    Everything is married together with lush gravy! 

Our christmas dinner is the best because it's made with love and we eat with those we love. Perfect!
  • Our Christmas dinner is the best because it is made with love and happiness. Why? because for a few days once a year we get our son , daughter and granddaughter together - the only time it happens - and we love it!
  • Our turkey is never the best, dry and sometimes dangerous
  • I do cabbage mixed with bacon and mines the best cause it's the only meal I can get right!! 
  • got to be the brussel sprouts!
  • I have recently become aware of debates on whether Yorkshire puddings should be on the Christmas dinner plate, I'm definitely in the YES camp but not the ready cooked ones that you heat up for a couple of minutes, they just don’t pass muster, I’m afraid, but I do normally use the frozen ready to cook ones as they’re batter than mine 
    I don’t usually make the Christmas dinner myself and I’m very grateful for whatever I’m given but my preference is pigs in blankets; fluffy, crispy, golden roast potatoes, freshly made;Yorkshire puddings; stuffing; turkey; roast parsnips plus other veg, all swimming in thickish gravy
  • Bread sauce and stuffing (both my nanna's recipe)
  • We have a choice of two meats usually turkey and beef or gammon. All the trimmings (roast potatoes, roast parsnips, Yorkshire puddings, veg, mashed swede, pigs in blankets, stuffing, gravy etc) We do buy some things pre made to save on time so we can spend more time with children playing with their presents. We always make a special stuffing with potato, apple in which we have made for many years. For desert we always have a choice of 3 which always includes lemon meringue pie and of course lots of cream and ice cream. It is always a very successful dinner with plenty of options for everyone and plenty of leftovers for the next few days so we can all relax and not worry about cooking. 
  • Stuffing made with garlic sauted mushrooms, brussel sprouts, onion and breadcrumbs.
  • Mine's so special because I do the prep long before Christmas, so I can relax on the day & enjoy drinks, presents & fun with the family!

I parboil potatoes, chuff them & freeze ready to roast from frozen on the day & the same with the parsnips. 

A day or so before, I boil my sprouts & carrots, then on the day, my sprouts go in the oven with bacon & chopped chestnuts, & the carrots go in with mustard & honey!

I've already made my pork stuffing & frozen it in a loaf tin, topped with straky bacon, so that's ready to go in the oven on the 25th  ;)
  • I think I make the best bread sauce.  It's my mums recipe.
  • I think the best bit of our Christmas dinner is the Aunt Bessies roast potatoes which I take credit for!! And overall generous helpings and home made gravy. 
  • I think our Christmas dinner is the best as it’s a special meal that gets everyone together around the table, and we offer a selection of food to keep everyone happy. We have turkey, gammon and beef, aunt Bessies roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings and stuffing, along with a selection of veg including sprouts with chestnut and bacon, plenty of pigs in blankets, nice thick gravy, and bread sauce to make it complete!
  • My mum makes the best Christmas dinner ever. We always have Aunt Bessies Yorkshire puddings, no point cooking them from scratch when the easy cook ones taste so good! Plenty of gravy and bread sauce, load the pudding up with a bit of everything! 
  • We love Aunt Bessies yorkshire puddings. We have potatoes, stuffing, carrots, cabbage, beans and I have a veggie dish and the rest of them have turkey and gammon
  • To make my tasty Christmas dinner I plan what I will cook by making shopping list. Our must on festive table are turkey, Aunt Bessie's roast potatoes, roast parsnips  and selection of vegetables, such as sprouts, carrots, peas, and also stuffing and piglets in blankets. On dinner is generously pour over homemade gravy. Another important is to make sure my table looks festive so I would use a few branches of holly to decorate.
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions