Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions

Tell SMA Careline your best parenting tips for new mums and dads: £200 voucher to be won!

Replies

• Accept that you're going to have days where you don't want to get dressed and leave the house and embrace them! I put so much pressure on myself to meet up with people when my son was born and to me that meant I had to do my hair/make up to show that I was coping when in reality all I wanted to do was stay in my pyjamas and snuggle with my new baby. 
  • Kindness, patience, and consistency
  • Try to set a side time on a regular basis to do something fun with your child 
  • Don't be too proud to accept help. 
  • Trust your instincts.
  • Let family help you with your cleaning and cooking etc and take time for resting when you can. 
  • edited Jan 8, 2020 3:49PM
    There is no right or wrong way..only whats best for you/child/family ....but a routine is best for everyone so try to get one established as soon as you can 
  • Remember the good times and not the bad and be gentle 
  • Take on advice as people mean well, but choose your own way...
  • Don't think that everyone but you can cope, if you need help ask for it and if its offered take up the offer even if its for a few hours sleep, a long soak in the bath, or to do some housework.
  • Don't be afraid to try cheaper nappies.  Some supermarket versions are better than the brand name ones.  
  • Don't panic.  All the baby needs is milk, a cot and a few clothes.  We got caught up in buying lots of stuff we never used, and lots of clothes that never got worn as baby stayed in babygrows and vests most of the time.
  • Don't worry about keeping your house clean and tidy spend the time resting and enjoying your baby as they grow up soooo fast!
  • Try to get some sleep when the baby sleeps. Don't worry about a bit of dust.
  • Don't feel like you have to listen to anyone's advice. At the end of the day it's your journey & the first few weeks are all about survival. So however you get through it is absolutely fine!
  • edited Jan 8, 2020 6:34PM
    Be kind to yourself! Don't worry about housework and how tidy your house is, don't compare your post baby body to Instagram  filtered-within-an-inch-of-their-lives supermums, don't worry about your child's milestones and comparing them to supermums offspring at baby club, and take advice with a pinch of salt while accepting any offer of help you get. Relax, enjoy, and most of all, smile!
  • Have confidence in your parenting skills and also if you think something is wrong it most definitely is don't delay see the doctor for nurse xx
  • Only raise your voice when its something serious.  I ran a very peaceful playgroup for 5 yrs. but the children knew it was serious if I raised my voice - ie fire escape training. I only failed once when I said "Get into Pairs" to leave the building - Simon burst into tears and said "I hate Pears Miss - I only like Apples" 

• Don't berate yourself for making a mistake or not finding it easy, everyone makes errors from time to time and no one is perfect. 
  • Trust your own gut, no-one is an expert on parenting. By all means get advice from people but you should trust your instincts 
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions