Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tell SMA Careline your best parenting tips for new mums and dads: £200 voucher to be won!

Replies

• Options
    Remember the baby has two parents, if you're living together, and don't shut out the father. If you're breast feeding, express some milk so that Dad can bond with the baby while feeding - this also means you can share night-time feeds! Just don't shut him out as I've seen marriages break up  over that,  however besotted with the baby you are.
  • Options
    Accept all offers of help - especially to cook meals! Make sure you drink! Most plans go out the window so go with the flow initially. Then start some kind of routine that works for you! Enjoy it - it goes so quickly! 
  • Options
    Trust yourself and don't beat yourself up if things are not going as you thought they should or would before baby arrived. 
    Stay calm and relaxed so baby does not pick up on 'bad' vibes from you. 
    In the early days, don't try to live in a show home - housework can wait - it is more important that you rest while baby sleeps to keep your energy levels up.
    And most importantly, enjoy your baby - time passes so quickly.
  • Options
    I would have to say try and sleep when baby sleep. Dont get too caught up trying to keep housework etc done. You need as much rest as you can get
  • Options
    Make sure that you put out something to sustain yourself during night feeds. A flask of tea and a biscuit. It will help keep you from falling asleep whilst feeding. 
  • Options
    keep a calm house be calm with each other and this will create a calm environment for baby and you
  • Options
    A great way of remembering the difference between choking and gagging. I saw this on the mini first aid page and have shared it will my friends as I think its a great way to remember it:

Gagging - loud and Red let them go ahead.
    Choking - Silent and blue they need help from you. 

I did a baby 1st aid course with my husband when our daughter was born, I would recommend this to new parents. Hopefully the knowledge is never needed, but better to know what to do in an emergency. 
  • Options
    Whatever cuddly toy, bunny, bear etc that becomes your baby's favourite make sure that you have at least one identical spare so that you do not have to drive miles retracing your steps to try and find where it went missing!
  • Options
    Make your own decisions but make sure you are well informed from reputable sources when it comes to safety or health. Do your own research, don't bow to pressure from others who "did it this way". Remember, things change and you doing it differently is not a criticism of others it's just you making the best choice with the information you have :) and if you are sick of being told to cherish every moment (especially when you are exhausted, covered in bodily fluids and haven't had none baby related adult interaction for some time) that's completely ok too. It does pass, it does change, and you've got this! 
  • Options
    Stay away from bad habits like sweets, crisps
  • Options
    Persistence is key! But most of all make sure you take it all in as it goes so quickly :)
  • Options
    Don't panic, trust your feelings, take advice with a pinch of salt, don't be afraid to ask.
  • Options
    I am a new mum myself and learnt myself never to compare myself to other mums! 
    Social media can be very misleading, not everything is as perfect as what some people like to make out.
    Everybody struggles, do not stress enjoy your new baby as much as you possibly can (House work and chores can wait) 
    Don't ever bottle up your emotions, talk to someone if you are struggling (It's the best thing I ever done) 
    Oh and always remember to replace your changing bag with items you may have used as soon as you return home (Too many times I have then went away with a half full changing bag) 
  • Options
    Listen to yourself, not others, follow your instincts!, get support from friends who have children, and remember it's ok to feel overwhelmed! good luck
  • Options
    Enjoy the cuddles and them being small while they last and don't listen to everyone's ideas about how you should do things. It can become really frustrating and put you down but really everyone parents differently. If you're happy with how you're parenting and then baby is safe and happy that's what matters. 

Also, you really don't need to take very much in to hospital with you!

It is INCREDIBLY difficult but don't let that rule your life, there are wonderful moments that go with it. It's also a huge adjustment and it's okay if you struggle with that. The feeling of being trapped/your life not being your own anymore is very common. Get help if/when you need it. 
  • Options
    Never compare your children to other children - only judge them based on themselves and their achievements
  • Options
    All babies are diffrent and will do things at diffrent times so don’t think ur child is behind. Don’t compare your child to another ❤️
  • Options
    If anyone offers help take it in the form of cleaning, washing, preparing meals etc, they do usually want to help. Remember there are lots of adults walking around so loads of people were once new mums, you will get there.
  • Options
    There are contradictions for EVERYTHING. Do some research, but then go with your gut. It's hard to do what's "right" when there's so much that says it's wrong. Just go with your own instincts.
  • Options
    Don’t read threads of tips - you’ll get too much conflicting information 😆
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions