Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Tell Aunt Bessie’s all about your favourite roast dinner memory: £200 Amazon voucher prize!

Replies

• It would be the roast dinners my mother would make , pariculalry on Sundays . My mother knew how much I loved yorkshire puddings . After dishing out the Yorkshire puddings , I  was always allowed to scrape out the crispy bits stuck to the pan . A roast dinner , and the smell of it cooking makes me feel very nostalgic , and always reminds me of my dealry loved and missed mother .
  • I have very fond childhood memories of mum cooking us a lovely family roast every Sunday without fail.  After we had eaten mum would take a beautiful white floral lidded pyrex dish which had been handed down to her and would fill it up with leftover roast  and all the trimmings.  She would then tie the pyrex dish in her best tea towel to keep it warm, and dad would drive us all the way to down to Richmond to visit mum's elderly auntie. I have even fonder memories of my mum's auntie tucking into her Sunday roast dinner with such delight.  She would take a big wedge of bread and dip it into the gravy wiping the dish clean.  Mum and I would look at each other and feel happy knowing that she had enjoyed a hearty home made roast. 
  • AR2012AR2012 Regular
    edited Nov 4, 2020 9:43PM
    My favourite roast was when my little brother was last down for the holidays. Unfortunately with Covid and the lockdowns etc we're separated for the foreseeable. Hope once the vaccines out and things are better he'll come and stay over a while. When he does we'll have a proper roast. 
  • As kids in the 80s, my mum made Sunday dinner with Yorkshire’s every week. Because I loved mash we had that instead of roasties and my favourite thing was to stuff a little Yorkshire pud with mash and try to eat it in one go. Messy but delicious. And my mum never told me off for it for which I’m eternally grateful 
  • Now I know this may not sound great to some, and I apologise if It’s long winded.  I distinctly remember one Sunday all of the family were at our house eagerly waiting for Sunday lunch, in those days we had to collect spare chairs from around the house so everyone could sit at the table, all at different heights lol.  It was tradition in our house for my dad to go and play Cribbage at the Frensham British Legion.  Now we used to eat a 3pm well that’s the deadline mum set for my dad but he was usually late.  On this day it was gone 3.30 and mum had lost her patience so we ate without him.  After we had finished my mum....by now harassed and increasingly angry decided to ring the Legion, and he wasn’t there, he in fact had left early to go for a pint at our local pub, The Cricketers.  So time goes on, and dads dinner is drying up in the oven.  My mum now red with anger decided enough is enough so she then proceeded to put her shoes and coat on, takes dads dinner out of the oven and marches down to the pub dinner in one hand, knife and fork in the other....my gran followed with me in tow!  She walks in there and with no messing locates dad at the bar and slams down his dinner in front of him, proclaiming “ if you’re not going to be bothered to come home and eat it then it comes to you, so here it is......EAT IT!  My rather embarrassed dad who usually had the gift of the gab rather sheepishly and reluctantly started to eat, with mum looking over him.  My dad never lived this down.  And he was never ever late again.  I laugh at it now but at the time I think I cried all the way to the pub and all the way back.  My dad was the best dad and nicest man in the world and I miss him so much.  My mum was acting so out of character... I guess years of him being late for Sunday lunch caught up with her and she just flipped.  I genuinely had never heard them argue before this and never after.  Of course both grans backed my mum up.  I really can’t imagine someone doing it in this day and age!
  • We had a roast dinner every Sunday when I was a child, Mum bless her always over cooked the cabbage and although the rest of the dinner was lovely I couldn’t eat the cabbage, so when no-one was looking I tried to get the dog to eat it for me but with no luck!
  • My favourite Roast Dinner was Christmas Day 2019 as that was the last time my 2nd eldest son was home for a Roast. He is a student at Cardiff Met 130 miles away in Wales & went back to Uni the day after New Years. I haven't seen him since although we do get to facetime it's not the same & he's not allowed to come home for Christmas this year so I have no idea when I'll get to see him again :( 
  • Growing up in an East Asian household we had different types of roasts such as Peking duck or a whole roast suckling pig. This brings back fond memories of large gatherings and celebrations with lots of food put in the middle we could share. 
  • edited Nov 5, 2020 6:24AM
    Sunday was always my Mums day off. She worked 6 days, my Dad 5....I have four siblings and every Sunday was ironing and roast day! My Mum would cook a delicious roast chicken dinner (we would all try to pinch the crispy salted skin! Whilst it was cooling lol) we didn’t have a table, lived in a small house so we would all have it on our laps or sitting up at the coffee table lol! Whilst watching antiques roadshow or whatever programme was on. It was a long awaited day! I now do the same with my children (with added Aunt Bessies Honey roasted parsnips which by the way are fantastic!) but we sit up at the table lol 😉....you know something we all have in common (thinking about it) every single one of us save the Yorkies until last ❤️ 

• My mother-in-law was  not a great cook, but she insisted on cooking Christmas dinner, which she did well enough, except that she couldn't be bothered with sauces.  She used packet sauces.  One Christmas, she proudly displayed a gravy boat of bread sauce.  But, when my husband put his fork into it, he discovered it had become a huge bubble ... and sauce powder burst all over the room!
  • I lived in the middle East  years ago and I was unable to travel home for Christmas due to work and it was going to be my first ever Xmas away from home. My colleagues were all in the same boat and we all felt pretty down so we all clubbed together and made an epic Christmas dinner  even though none of us could really cook. There were about 15 of us crammed around the table in my house!  We all prepared something ( I was in charge of the Turkey!!!!)  and it ended up being delicious and so much fun! Its a really special memory because it was really quite a sad day for us all being away from our families but we were there for each other instead! 
  • Christmas Dinner last year, It was the last time I saw my parents as we live 400 miles away and the pandemic has made it impossible to visit. Just a normal happy and festive Roast. We all cant wait to get together again .
  • In the past when I was a student near Christmas all housemates pitched in and made a fantastic dinner, Aunt Bessie's and all the trimmings, crackers and music. It is a really lovely memory of a happy time. It felt like I'd found a new home and I'm still friends with everyone around that table!
  • It was probably the first roast after I found out I was pregnant. I never had a very good relationship with my mum and had been away from her for a while. The pregnancy brought me back home and the first Sunday I was back she made a roast. Unfortunately I wasn't able to keep it down but she spent the rest of the night fussing over me and making sure I was okay. It was the first time in years I felt like I had mum back.
  • Aunt Bessies roasties, parsnips, glorious golden Yorkshire puddings always make a roast a special occasion they never fail to deliver on taste, Aunt Bessie will always be present at my table
  • It was the last time my sister and I drove to Wales to visit my grandparents together!  They were in their 90s and Grandad renowned for his Sunday lunch and amazing yorkshire puds.  But we weren't expecting food at all so stopped at a McDonalds about an hour before arrival for lunch.  My sister loves her McD's so went to town.  When we arrived and realised we were being cooked a huge feast we felt so bad and never mentioned the McD's!  He'd gone to so much trouble as usual and watching my sister bravely tucking in was so funny! haha!  My grandparents are both gone now but the memories of the roasts will never die!
  • My favourite memory is about 8 years ago now when my pops was alive spending quality time having our regular Sunday roast at mums we always gathered together every Sunday my 2 sister me niece and nephew spending quality time with my mum and dad but one time was when mum was making roast beef and pulled it out of oven all ready to carve for dinner when my dad kept popping into kitchen n coming  back out then going back etc none of us had a clue but he was slicing him self a piece of beef off every time so what started of as a large joint ended up to be a small one but we all had fun and enjoyed our meal nevertheless, mum now always says she would give anything for dad to be here one more time even if he did pinch some of the beef lol 
  • Sitting down to a family roast dinner on a Sunday after Mass and having our starter of Yorkshire Pudding with gravy is a treasured memory for me. Thank you x
  • My favourite roast dinner memory...Christmas when I was about 8. Everyone was there, those still with us and those that have passed. Grandparents, aunties, mum, dad and my brother. Still smiles and lots of chat and laughter around the table. Happy days. 
  • My father is a Yorkshire man born and bred. I fondly remember roast dinners for Sunday lunch at my grandparents house. We would have yorkshire pudding with gravy for starters with the promise that those who ate the most yorkshire pudding would then get served the most meat. Of course those who ate lots of yorkshire pudding didn't have much room left for the meat which I think was the idea!
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions