Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Tell Aunt Bessie’s all about your favourite roast dinner memory: £200 Amazon voucher prize!

Replies

• My late mum was an excellent cook but I loved her roast dinners the most. She made real gravy, the meat was tender and the veggies were lovely.
  • My Best Roast Dinner Memory....

It starts off Morbid..... it was a great aunts funeral on a Sunday which was normally roast dinner day for us as a family . I was only about 8 years old. The Funeral went ahead as well as it can go and my Nana had organised the wake at her house afterwards. She had spent days before preparing all of the food and drink ready for when family and friends attending the wake. 

It’s traditional for my family when having any time of event to have a table full of pick your own food. There was foods of all kinds, chicken, roasties, stuffin, to bread,cheese & chutney. We call it a ‘Pick your own Roast and Cheeses!’ We have this at Xmas too.

My family (Mum, dad & older sister) had the duty of getting back first to unwrap all of the food on the table ready for people to arrive. 

Walking into the dining room to find ERIC the dog up on the table eating the Sausage rolls!!!! 

We pretended that they had got knocked off the table so put them in the bin to save Eric for being told off.

It’s was only last year, 27years later we decided to tell my Nana that the dog Eric ate the sausage rolls and that we had kept the secret for all these years!! 
  • Roast dinners always make me think of my late Mum and the effort she put into being such a great Mum. She was a single parent and money was tight. Sometimes she could only afford a couple of chicken legs but she would always do 3 types of veg, stuffing, yorkie puds, the works. every Sunday, we sat down to a proper roast.
  • My favourite memories of a roast dinner were when I was growing up. My mum, dad, brother, aunt, uncle, 2 cousins and I would go to my nan and grandads for a roast every Sunday. They both passed away 20 and 8 years ago, would give anything to have one more Sunday with them 💕💕💕💕
    Would love to start this tradition for my children and have my mum and dad here for Sunday dinners as soon as we can get back to normal xxx
  • eating at our nasn every sunday wiht cousins, brothers sisters, aunts uncles and what fiun we had
  • For me the first time I saw my son sit at the table and eat a Yorkshire pudding
  • My favourite roast dinner memories are those cooked by my late dad.  He use to make the most amazing roast potatoes, crispy with fluffy insides and when we had roast lamb his homemade mint sauce was served in its own serving boat.  A fond memory of him now every time we use it.
  • Sunday roast always brings back sweet memories of my mum whipping up yorkshire puddings and home made apple crumble. Real treasured family times.
  • My most ever favourite roast dinner was February this year, we had a big family day as myself and my husband were going away for a couple of days, we had all our children and grandchildren under one roof, it was the best day of this year!
  • We decided to have Christmas at home one year and invite my in laws round for Christmas lunch and i'm so glad we did that year as little did we know, it was the last Christmas with my father-in-law so it's really special looking back on those photos.
  • Best roast dinner memories came from when I was little and we went to my Gran's for the weekend, we would have one before we left on the Sunday. Just nice end to the weekend. 
  • My husband loves cooking, but always fails on the yorkshire puddings. Last weekend they were fantastic I could tell by his proud face - they were Aunt Bessies!
  • Growing up, my Mum always put a Sunday roast dinner on the table, having spent all morning in the kitchen cooking. The lovely aroma drifted around the house until it was time for us all to sit down and enjoy roast beef, Yorkshire pudding and accompanying potatoes & veg, plus a tasty sponge pudding or pie with custard. We always had fun talking about our plans and aspirations, then afterwards we would all help with the huge pile of washing up - no dish washer in those days! Happy memories.
  • I remember every Sunday as a child was a special day as it was the day Mum made her roast dinner for us all. Most Sundays my Uncle George would come with my cousins for dinner too. A really lovely family day and Mums dinners were the best! Her homemade Yorkshire puds ....  <3  
  • My partner's mum cooks THE best roast dinners I have ever tasted in my entire life, it's just one huge hot buffet.  The first time I experienced one of those I could not believe it, now I get her to cook one every time we visit!
  • My mum's legendary roast lamb roast dinners. At the end of the dinner all that was left on your plate was gravy peppered with small bits of stuffing, mint sauce, lamb and roast potatoe. I just loved scooping all this up soooo tasty!
  • My fave memory is of being younger, we would all gather at my nans house when she was still with us and her my mum and aunties would make a sunday roast for all of us 13 adults and 14 grandchildren all waiting eagerly to eat in shifts as there was nowhere to sit 🤣🤣🤣 xmas day is still pretty much the same minus my nan and a few more great grandchildren to feed🙂🙂🙂
  • My memory is of my grandmother, she always cooked an amazing roast dinner every Sunday and she liked nothing better than all the family coming around to enjoy it!  I remember taking cold yorkshire puddings home, loved to eat them like that.
  • My favourite memories of roast dinners will always be at my nans, we'd get the spare chairs or even the wooden humidifier box to make sure there was enough seats, a sherry glass to pretend we had wine like nan and grandad, gravy butties. Id do anything for nans roast dinner now, I dont even know why it was so special as we were always there but it was definitely the best 
  • The best Sunday dinner was the one at my parents house just before my mum past away.  The whole family was there and it was her 80th.. We rarely get together as a family as we are spread out all over the country. Everyone was so happy.
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions