Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Tell Aunt Bessie’s all about your favourite roast dinner memory: £200 Amazon voucher prize!

Replies

• I am a wife and Mama of 9 fantastic children! Having been in hospital criitically ill for over 3 months, the children asked me what I would love the most as my first meal when I get discharged. I jokingly said 'a Roast Beef dinner' knowing they would never be able to manage that as they had never cooked one before. I got discharged, walked into the house to a beautiful smell and there on the table were 11 plates of delicious roast beef with 9 varieties of fresh vegetables, severeal gravy boats  dotted around plus a dish of homemade hollandaise sauce with tasted AMAZING! Such a special memory of a roast dinner. Made with love.
  • When I was a little girl, every Sunday we used to go round to my grandparents house for a delicious roast dinner. My lasting memory of that time is of my grandad sharpening his carving knife at the table before cutting the most beautifully thin slices of roast meat. To this day I have not found anyone who can carve like my grandad- he was the king of the roast and I will hold that memory close forever. 
  • I remember my mum being poorly one Sunday it was her time to cook dinner, we always alternated which house we went to for a roast dinner. Anyway I phoned and decided it would be best if I plated her and dad a dinner up, my dad wouldn't hear of it lol he said he would cook, it can't be that hard.
     I told my husband we better turn up a bit earlier than normal so I can help dad haha when we got there he was sweating, panting, with flat Yorkshire puds, uncooked roasters and well the chicken was so undercooked it could have run round the kitchen :) I looked in their freezer and found Aunt Bessie roasters and Yorkshire puds, swapped the chicken for sausage and we ended up with a tasty dinner. My father then apologised to my mum and has since learnt how to cook a roast dinner :) 

• At my Mum's house with my uncle John when I was a kid.  He was my favourite uncle, sadly died from cancer when I was 13.  He always asked about school and was interested.  He gave very good hugs.  I still miss him to this day. 
  • Our first Sunday dinner after the first lock down and our last with the whole family sat together. Nothing is better at bringing a family together than a Sunday dinner. Dad, who recently lost mum is vulnerable so we were visiting him with food parcels whilst he was self isolating. My eldest was getting ready to start his first year at Uni. We managed one last meal together and I really went to town. Everything was included with double helpings ! Yorkshire puddings and dads absolute favourite, Aunt Bessie Jam Roly Poly and custard. We couldn’t move after ! Full to bursting he said !
  • The very best roast dinner I have ever had was a Christmas dinner that my late mother in law cooked in 2003. There was just the four of us and Sheila went into overdrive and we had pork, turkey and chicken with all the trimmings!!! Yes, bread sauce, cranberry, apple sauce and stuffing and yorkshire's of course. I have very fond memories of this meal.
  • Homemade yorkshire pudding filled with yummy gravy! My brother always tried to steal my yorkshire puddings but I made sure he didn't succeed! x
  • I have so many special memories of going to my Granny and Grandads on a Sunday (as my mum was a waitress) 
    On the way to their house I would beg my Mum to remember and tell my Granny not to put my roast dinner in my soup bowl (after I had finished my soup ofcourse) This is what my Granny would do to prevent using so many dishes I suspect! 
    My granny honestly did make the best roast dinners ever! She was a cook by profession.
    my favourite was Roast beef days she would pile our plates with delicious tender beef,  Yorkshire pudding potatoes and her home made mealie (stuffing) which she boiled in a tea towel in a pan! Crazy I know but true and it was absolutely Delicious! 
  • My favourite memory of roast dinners...is anything with both of my grandparents, who I deeply miss. Me, 2 sisters, Mum & Dad would all squeeze around my nan and Grandads table on a Sunday and have what ever roasting joint my Nan got on offer that Friday at Tesco, she loved a bargain! My mum now has this table which is over 70 years old an it is on its last legs and I am dreading the day it has to go but I've learnt it's not the table that holds the memories its us. 
  • It's a little bit rude!!! Having Sunday lunch with my husband's family; parents, siblings, grandparents. Bigger crowd than normal so think it was a birthday if I remember. We were all chatting and grandmother in law asks me "how's work?" My 5 year old chirped up "my mummy is a nurse!" (I'm not) I said "I'm not darling, mummy work's in an office" she then said "but mummy, why do you have a nurses uniform in your wardrobe?" 😳😳😳 Silence... then roars of laughter!!! Never been so embarrassed in my life!!! 
  • When we were kids, we would go to my late nans house every Sunday for a roast dinner. Back then, she had these hugs glasses that rested on her cheeks. Whenever we sat at the table eating, my brother and I would notice that her glasses would move up and down as she chewed her food and we would find it hilarious and she would always wonder what we were laughing at! Love those small but perfect memories.
  • When I was a kid, our school took us orienteering. It was freezing cold and pouring down with rain. I was miserable when I got home. But I was surprised by a full roast beef dinner. I can safely say that was the best I've ever had and it warmed me up beautifully 
  • 3 Years ago I won a trip to Australia with Aunt Bessie's as part of their 'I'm a Celebrity Get me out of here' promotion, and to Celebrate we had the most special Sunday dinner consisting of their delicious Yorkshire Puddings and Roast Potatoes...  the trip was amazing and something we will always treasure
  • My favourite roast dinner memory relates, surprisingly, to a very sad day - the day of my father's funeral.  Two of his cousins decided they would do a roast lunch for the  family after the funeral and they laid on the most wonderful roast dinner.  It was so comforting to be surrounded by so many family at such an emotional time.
  • We weren't a roast every Sunday family when I was little so roast dinners are forever associated in my mind with special occasions :smile: our Christmas Dinner was our major show stopper and I remember always thinking it was the best meal in the world (still do!). A roast was mine and my sisters treat meal too so I remember having it most birthdays. My favourite memory is from 2 years ago, our first Christmas with our daughter and unfortunately our last one with our very loved uncle. It was amazing as usual but all the more special to me now as I recall the smiling faces and love
  • The smell of roast lamb filling the house. And hovering impatiently in the kitchen doorway while the lamb rested and my mum finished the veg and made the gravy and sneakily trying to pinch the lovely, tasty skin off the joint.
  • Going to Nans in Bognor Regis. We'd go for a walk along the beach then on the way back get sweets in the shop. In the Afternoon Nan would cook up the most amazing roast lamb dinner! The meat was always juicy & served with plenty of mint sauce! Followed up with homemade Apple pie & custard! Bless her xxx
  • To be honest my best roast dinner memories are those times that I shared with my dad.  He has got Parkinson's now and struggles to eat much.  He no longer likes to eat with others around the table and so I cherish the memories of our family roast dinners (he does still love aunt bessies Yorkshires and little roast potatoes). I think the moral to this for anyone reading is to really make the most of your roast! Make them a family affair as everyone will not always be there! 
  • In my thirties now and I always look forward to my mum’s Sunday Roast...nothing beats it. The warming aroma, the best roast potatoes and of course parsnips! The perfect pick-me-up when battling whatever life is throwing at you! 
  • always remember as a child having roast dinner at my nans , around a huge table, with my mum, dad, nan, all my brothers and sisters(6 of us kids in total) ,nan always cooked a roll of suet pudding to accompany it, nan died in 2001, but we always carry on the tradition, even on christmas day
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions