Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions

Tell Aunt Bessie’s all about your favourite roast dinner memory: £200 Amazon voucher prize!

Replies

• My best roast was with my grandparents, auntie, brother and partner for my mums birthday. People has traveled from London, Isle of Man, America to celebrate. Little did they know we had a little bun in the oven. After we lost our first baby it was a wonderful secret to know the next time we all got together there would be a new addition with us! 
  • My favourite roast dinner memory and why it's so special to me is my last roast dinner meal I cooked for my son who's 10 years old. I cooked a roast chicken dinner with all the trimmings plus I add some chow mein on the side and used aunt Bessie's roast potatoes and aunt Bessie's roast parsnips. My son enjoyed it so much and as he now lives abroad with his dad I so miss these valuable precious times. We must all value time with family. Especially at these times. With the COVID 19 situation I haven't been able to see him as Trinidad and Tobago borders have been closed since march 2020. I'm praying I got to see him soon once it reopens. 
  • One weekend in 1982, Mum had invited our grandparents over for Sunday Roast. She asked me to take the joint of pork out of the freezer on the Saturday as she was working. I did and left it on the kitchen unit then ran upstairs to listen to music. A few hours later I came down for a drink and startled the cat...it shot out if the kitchen and ran upstairs.. When I entered the kitchen the joint of pork was on the floor, teeth marks in the skin and wrapper shredded! I quickly cut if the chewed bits, washed it and wrapped it in cling film and popped it in the fridge, not telling anyone what had happened. Next day Mum cooked a delicious roast for all the family, as she was serving the dinner I told her I was going to be a vegetarian from now on and didn't want any meat.. I tried not to laugh when I watched the family happily chewing the crackling!! I will never forget this! 
  • My favourite roast dinner memory is the last one we had with my grandparents. Every sunday we used to go round to their house for dinner. Now that they have both passed we hardly ever do a full roast, except on special occasions, but it always reminds me of them. 
  • My mum's roast at the end of February this year especially the crispy Yorkshore puddings and roast potatoes was so good. It was special because my sister was there from Vancouver so we don't see eachother often. None of us live close but we're hoping to all meet and have another roast again next year! 
  • The family went to my grandmas for Sunday lunch and she kept to an old tradition of having the Yorkshire pudding and gravy as a starter,well it was massive and by the time we had eaten it we were too full to do justice to the roast which I think was the idea when people could not afford much meat and had large families to feed
  • The most Memorable Christmas for me was when I was about 16 still at school and I tripped coming down some stairs just before Christmas and broke my right arm. I am right handed. A Christmas Meal is not the same when everything is cut up for you into inch size pieces so you can eat it without having to use a knife. Mum always looked after me well including spending ages cutting up my Christmas Dinner before everyone started eating theres. 
  • Having lived abroad I came home to my parents and family with my 6 year old son that they had never met , dad made a celebration cooked with love , a roast lamb dinner for 12 ,mashed carrots/parsnips ,cauliflower cheese ,spring greens ,onion sauce mint sauce roast spring lamb and yummy auntie Bessie’s roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings with real gravy, it was superb seeing family again and enjoying good food together .
  • My favourite memory is of our whole family, mum dad, father in law and mother in law all sitting around the table, yorkshire puddings, roast lamb, crispy roast potatoes and lots of veg in the middle of the table, everyone tucking in and chatting together. Even now every Sunday we sit at the table and share a meal and discuss the events of the week, its family time.
  • My favourite roast dinner memory is the first Christmas dinner after my daughter was born. It was lovely having full turkey dinner with all the trimmings and her trying chopped up turkey and veg.
  • My favourite roast story is a memory my 96 year old mum shared with me... she remembers  he mum pouring more gravy on her husband roast  and then on her sons. Then she sat  down to eat her own.
    My mum felling a little put out said “ why didn’t you give me more gravy“ mother gets up reaches for the gravy that  was keeping warm on the range. Goes over to her daughter and says “ How much gravy would you like“ she asked....my mum as a very young girl replies ”no thank you ....I have enough“
    My mum lost her mum on the 18th of December 1924 when she was 10 years old but It is still a vivid memory for her and now me and mine😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰
  • My favourite was when I was little me and my sister would go to my nans, her roast dinners were the best. Me my Nan and grandad and sister would sit round the table and it’s the best memories I have. Her gravy use to be so watery but it was just the best! She would put vinegar on the peas, which I still do to this day. Best roasts I have ever had were made by my Nan. 
  • My husband makes a roast dinner every Sunday, it’s the only time he cooks, so it always feels like a very special treat! The whole family loves a roast dinner, it’s my little boys favourite meal. 
  • I used to love filling my Yorkshire puds with gravy!!
  • Way back in the the eighties My elder sister used to have Mum and Dad Christmas Day and we always had them Boxing Day for a roast dinner  and then tea.  It was so nice because our 3 children had Nannie and Grandad all day and we have a few lovely photos as well as the memories.  
  • kayleigh whitekayleigh white Regular
    edited Nov 13, 2020 9:25PM
    My niece who is now 19-years old, was a toddler when our 'roast dinner' became one to remember. My father, who makes the best dinners so we stay out of the way, served up our Sunday dinner with lashings of gravy and plenty of roasties - just how I like it. As ever, Aunt Bessies Yorkshires were the pudding of choice and when asked if she liked her dinner, my niece said she loved one thing in particular - grandad's 'good pud shoulds'. We were in fits of laughter and to this day, 16-years on, Aunt Bessies are known in our family as 'good pud shoulds'!
  • Picture this- Christmas Day- Mum and Dad had just spend the day cooking a big feast, we all sat down to eat, in front of me was a GIANT jar of pickled onion; yep the extra large ones you get a Christmas that last 2 years- I someone caught it with my hand and sent a tsunami of pickled onions and vinegar across the whole dinner. Even to this day some 30 years later I am banned from going near the pickled onions- we always have a good laugh about this- Mum was so angry at the time 😂😂😂
  • Easter Sunday our family traditionally all gathered together for a roast dinner.  Mum made stuffing balls and they were on the meat platter along with the turkey and ham, all very lovingly made.  Mum was still bringing in dishes of veg and jugs of gravy when my four year old daughter took a stuffing ball and asked what it was.  My brother told her they were turds.  Half way through dinner my mother checked everyone was enjoying the food and to her horror Harriet piped up that the turds were her favourite!  My Mum was mortified.  We still have celebratory turds on special occasions but Auntie Bessie makes them now.
  • We were all sat down for Christmas dinner at the table except for my mum who was just walking into the room with her plate of food, she tripped in the doorway and her plate and entire dinner went flying through the air and fell to the floor!
    She was so heart broken and felt as if she had ruined Christmas dinner with her clumsiness but we all took some from each of our plates and made her a full plate.
    It was such a lovely time and funny because she looked hilarious covered in gravy! Haha!
  • I love a roast dinner because all I ever remember is that it was always with family and those times were the best x
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions