Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tell Winalot all the things people don’t tell you about owning a puppy: £200 Amazon voucher prize

Replies

• Options

This is Archie 🐶

No-one tells you about the sleepless nights when they first are settling into their forever home and how worrying it is. I loved it but I missed him so much when he did sleep (well nap!). Also, how destructible indestructible toys are! 
  • Options
    They are so much harder than children. I went in totally naive. Not knowing about the chewing or the sleepless nights. But now we have come out of that we have the best dog 
  • Options
    :# No one tells you that your new puppy will be stealing your underwear and run around the house exposing your dirty laundry to the guests. 
    :# No one tells you to hide your best shoes from your tiny puppy because those shark teeth are so ready to destroy one of the best shoes completely, but the other is left
    untouched to remind you what it actually looked like. 
    :# No one tells you that puppies will pee in your bed when he gets too excited! 
  • Options
    Think carefully about the breed. Springer puppies are exactly that. Midge has eaten my knickers, socks, flip flops and even grabbed a lighter. You've got to have eyes in the back of your head LOL!
  • Options

Puppies prepare you for having a baby and cats prepare you for having a teenager 😂
  • Options
    My partner and I got an Italian mastiff puppy to join our already 3 year old Italian mastiff. Our older one was already trained when we got her, so this was my first time experiencing life with a puppy!

One thing to prepare for is the disrupted sleep, they can hold their wee for as long as how old they are eg. 3 hours at 3 months, so sleepless nights are on the cards for a few months! Bringing a puppy into a home with a well trained dig makes life so much easier as they follow their lead and are submissive to them and adults, so the older dog does most of the puppy training for you! We've had a chewed slipper and sofa corner, but been lucky that she's learnt fast not to nibble, so don't allow them to nibble you or items in the house from an early age otherwise it could be a disaster.

We feeding in the crate allows Mila to recognise that her bed is her safe space, so she will immediately go to her bed of her own accord with is fab. There is often whining, but like a baby she'll stop when she's settled and learn that whining doesn't equal attention(though it's heartbreaking to hear!).

Learning he garden won't be perfect was hard, the extra pee patches of dead grass and randomly dug holes, but the love and affection you get in return is worth all of the chaos! Wouldn't have it any other way! 

• Options
    No on tells you when getting a puppy how challenging and how much hard work it is from day 1! But it is just as rewarding my pooch is a fussy stubborn princess and I wouldn't changer her for the world 
  • Options
    Years of waiting for a pup
    Oh the excitement when we first picked him up
    Our chosen one came into the house, timid at first like a little mouse
    The first night sleeping by his side, watching him snuggle into his bed (and hide)
    Sleeping soundly with a little snore - the second night and I'm still on the floor!
    Days are busy chasing him round
    We'd puppy proofed everything so what have you found??!!!
    Exasperated as he chews, definitely a bit of puppy blues
    Excited for his trip to the park, turns out this is where he'll find his bark
    Not so keen on walking, but for his doggy friends lots of talking
    So many trials and challenges ahead - why oh why does he chew his bed??!!
    But then there is the puppy smell and when his training goes oh so well
    His cute wee face welcoming you home - oh go on then have a bone!
    And when he's cuddled up and sleeping, you know this boy is your heart a keeping

This is the boy in question - Byron ❤️
  • Options
     Its like having a toddler. Even getting up in the night when he cries for the toilet. Being bitten and nibbled on constantly with little needle teeth. If you've got something they want it. They back chat when you tell them off. Socks and shoes aren't safe if left on the floor. Having a puppy is 24/7 but worth it. They are funny, playful, loving and need you to care for them. Nobody tells you about the best smell from a puppy which is their breath, its lovely and a shame it doesn't last forever. They steal your heart and are amazing and a big part of the family. 
  • Options
    Nobody tells you that you'll be up so much in the night for the first few weeks and that they’re just as much work as a newborn baby 🤦‍♀️

• Options
    Nobody tells you that the hardest part isnt those first few weeks of sleepless night/toilet training, and that actually the hardest work comes in when the pup reaches 6 to 8 months and adolescence kicks in and suddenly you feel like your dog hates you, all your training has gone out of the window and your dog is just an.out of control land shark. But also that theres nothing you can do about this stage but if you persevere they do eventually come out of the other side at 12 to 18 months and you get the dog you dreamed of. 
  • Options
    It's like having a baby crying in the night, wee and poo all over until trained. Having an attitude of I would never let my dog do that fast forward 12 months they are sleeping in your bed with you and you wouldn't have it any other way as you love them unconditionally. 
  • Options
    Otto is twelve week old beagle and has changed our lives immensely! He’s a ball of mischief, up to it all, tears around like a madman for ten minutes then falls asleep on your lap looking a picture of innocence. If he can find it it’s his, unless you can catch him before it’s teeth tested. Even body parts are not safe from needle sharp teeth after all, this teething business needs something to chew on. Toilet training is so much fun for him, watching you hop one footed after stepping in one of his accidents! He’s also learnt that he gets a treat when it’s training  time and that acting a bit dumb gets him more treats. Otto loves cleaning, especially ears, noses and any part of your face and somehow manages to stick to your face like an octopus. He loves toys, but not the ones we buy him, a dropped tissue, a stray shoe, in fact most things that don’t look like a dog toy! On his first walk outside he decided to try and play with two Great Danes, that was never going to end well, he eventually settled for a dog more his own size. Well I’m off to bed now with a smile on my face, yes I know it’s only one o clock in the afternoon, but I have to get some sleep before the Dawn call.
  • Options
    They cry a lot! Be prepared to sleep with them in your bed at night because any attempt to leave them downstairs during the night will result in constant crying and scratching! 
  • Options
    Small dogs are harder to toilet train than big dogs
  • Options
    I have learnt that they are like having a newborn baby!!! 

That first month it’s like having a newborn. You will be up at least 4 times a night, you will wonder if you’re ever going to sleep again. 
  • Options
    They do not tell you that they are harder than children to raise, Puppies need attention 24 hrs a day, all the the fuss you give them and they still rip things up, chew chair legs etc, not to mention all the puppy toys you have to buy just to keep them entertained. but when all said and done they are worth it, When they grow up and become your special friend, it's just pure amazing.
  • Options
    They will try to destroy and eat everything!
  • Options
    edited Aug 25, 2021 8:18PM
    People dont tell you just how rewarding owning a puppy can be. How they can communicate with you and show you what they want, how they lick their lips to tell you,’yes please, I would love a treat’.  How they hang on every word, waiting for you to tell them whats next. People dont tell you how even though they wake you up at 4 am for breakfast, you will love them so much, you just smile and get up to feed them. They dont tell you how they soon learn to love you back unconditionally and follow you around the house, even to the loo. How each pup has its own personality regardless of breed, funny little quirks and traits that endear you. And they dont tell you, that you will sacrifice everything to give them the very best you can, and love them forever! 
  • Options
    Puppies are incredibly hard work, especially at the beginning. They often cry through the night missing their Mums when you first take them home. 
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions