Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Tell Winalot about the life lessons you've learnt from having your beloved dog: £200 voucher prize!

Replies

• I never had a dog growing up but my husband did and he wanted our daughters to grow up with one. We got Thor a Lab X Newfoundland when I was 6 months pregnant. 
    I have read so many horror stories that I was scared. 
    Well he is the daftest thing ever. 
    I never thought I could love an animal so much, he was poorly not long long ago (he's fine now) but I was so scared to if something was to happen  to him, which shocked me more. 
    He's like my best friend in a lot of ways, but the upside is he doesn't tell me off, tell me I'm daft. He just puts his head on my knee and let's me get it all off my chest. 
    Now with my daughters he's like the protective older brother. If there's a knock at the door he doesn't bark but stops the girls from going to the door. 
    We have to tell him to get out of the bathroom because he sits there and watches as if waiting to rescue them. 

I have epilepsy and I know he isn't a trained medical dog, but I swear he knows. If I feel ill or poorly he will sit at or lay feet or lay at my feet and not move until I feel better.

He really is a good boy! He's more than a pet he is part of my family. 
    He got out once and ran down the street and a car was reversing, I screamed stop and actually ran into the middle of the road, I'd of said I would have only done that for my girls. 

He's taught me love isn't just for people, that they are good listeners and that while he's there we will always be safe. 

Unless there's a bird in the garden then he will knock you out of the way to go and play.
  • Charlie taught me how important loyalty, trust and companionship are and how a daily walk can perk you up - in all weathers. He was also a good example when it came to cleaning my plate and was much more of a chilled party animal than me!

• Little did we know when we brought Lola home as a puppy, what impact and difference she would make over the next couple of years, to our family. Within weeks of her settling in, our world was turned upside down by numerous tragic events. If Lola had not been there, I dread to think about where we would all be. My husband was unfairly dismissed at work which led to a horrific tribunal. Our mental health deteriorated which led to counciling and anti depressants. We slept in separate rooms for 12 months. My mother was diagnosed with Dementia and died a few months later from a stroke. Lola was the only sunshine in our lives. She literally saved us all. We look back now and can see, without any doubt, she kept our family together. The love she gave us, the smiles and happy moments. She was the glue and dramatic as it sounds, she was sent to us for a reason, I’m sure. We will be forever grateful for this little bundle of love.

• I’ve learnt from Pepper to think more “dog”. Love everyone, life is too short, and appreciate a cuddle!
  • My dog taught me that life can be confusing , she was a racing greyhound for years when we adopted her, she saw a squirrel for the first time in the garden and chased it... but was very puzzled why it had run to the right and not the left and why it had gone up a tree... ?  She did learn.... 
  • Dogs tie you down, cost a lot of money in upkeep, make terrible mess,  but I could never be without one. They give you back 10 times whatever you give them . Always forgive you and make sure you get your walking in all weather's.  Never be lonely with a dog.
  • Learning to have fun and love every moment of your life, being kind, generous, grateful and helping others when you can 😎🐕
  • My dog taught me the healing powers of fresh air and exercise.  Being made to take her for a walk everyday, you appreciate getting out of the house.  It's good for your mental health. 
  • My dog has taught me to live in the moment ☺️💙☺️
  • Our dog Amy died 4 years ago, we had her for 18 years she was part of the family, another child.  Still miss her now. 

I suppose the lesson I’ve learned is that we may not have our dogs for long and they are only part of our lives, however to your dog you are there whole world. Don’t take them for granted, we all have busy lives,  when your tired or stressed still give them the time and attention they rightly deserve.
  • That having a dog motives you to care about another creature and exercise by default. This is so good for relieving depression and anxiety and you can't help but talk to people as well as you go on your daily walks. Dog walkers are so friendly.
  • My dog has taught me my life is worthwhile. 
    I lost my partner in 2017 then the dog we had brought up together, Lola passed in 2018. Four months later my mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer and passed away in February 2019. 
    If I hadn’t rescued Toyah a month after loosing Lola I wouldn’t be here. 
    My Toyah literally saved my life, she gave me a purpose to carry on and still does. She’s my best friend and I couldn’t love her anymore than I do.
  • My lovely dog has taught me true unconditional love. He's happy with just being part of the family and his chew toy. He always makes a dull day seem brighter , happy to listen to our problems and cuddle them away. 
  • My dog Oscar really helped us as a family get through the pandemic as we were all suffering with mental health. Being able to get out daily on nice country walks regardless of the weather gave us a nice purpose every day.
  • I,ve always been an animal lover and all my life have had kitties  8 years ago  I got a puppy  and named him ALfie  he’s always by my side always keep me company and shows true devotion and  love  x  something you don’t always  get from people x  a true companion that’s my little Alfie ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ 

• These are my current two. I think the biggest thing they've taught me is to appreciate the little things - it's fine to get excited about a delicious cup of tea, or the daffodils in the garden. I now try and live in the present more and appreciate those small things. Seems to work for them!
  • My family loved our old bullmastiff Bella,She taught us patience,when she plodded along-She taught us how to chill out when she lay snoring in the sun-but most of all she was always there to cheer us up-20 years later we have a relative of hers ,same blood lines-and she is just as precious and makes us smile-although she tends to have human tendencies,as in the photo.We all love Flora
  • My dog has taught me about love and companionship, and always make time for a walk
  • I have learnt the benefits of walking. Walking my dog Sammy not only helps with exercise but I feel calmer getting some fresh air every day.
  • The best life lesson my lovely Lola has taught us is that everyone can get along! The cat even shares her dog bed and bone! 
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions