Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Advice on biting, hitting, hair pulling tots

I have 4 friends with babies between 16 and 18 months and out of them 3 are always going to hurt Leyla. They just start grabbing her and trying to bite her etc. Each of my friends are dealing with their childs behavior in a different manner but nothing seems to work with any of them.

Does anyone have any experience with this and have any advice on what they should do?

Also Leyla has started to get frightened of other younger children.. do i continue keeping Leyla in their company for her social development or is it doing her more harm?

Replies

• omg! What do you do when the attack her? Depends how bad it is, but its obviously affecting and upsetting her and will affect her social development so I would give them a wide berth for a while. What do the parents say? My son used to bite but only us not other kids around this age but he stopped.

• One parent just says "thats not nice, you should not do that" and not even firmly.. which is very irritating for me to see. Another is very firm.. kneels down to her childs level and looks very serious and if the child goes to do it again does the naugty step. and the 3rd mum is a kind of inbeween.

The problem i have is they are the only english moms and tots in the area and i need the contact with them for my saninty.

So this is not normal for tots thier age then? i thought it must be a phase they all go through

• I expect it is normal, but normally I would think a bit older. Tate didn't really walk til he was 16months so didn't interact that much with others!! I think you have to go with your gut instinct, it is v.hard when a friends child harms yours though. And your little girl is younger than them, hopefully some of the others can give you some better advice!
  • Hope you can sort this out.

Riley had a short faze of this,cant realy remember how old he was but it didnt last long.

• Oh Melanie.. how horrible.. i can't beleive the others mums couldn't be more understanding. No they have no disabilties or anything and the other mums are just as upset as i am about it and i to honest i find myself saying things like "don't worry it is just a phase"

Don't get my wrong by the way.. i don't let Leyla get hurt.. i sit right next to her all the time.. ready to protect her, its just every now and again just as i blink or something.. haha  I'm making these tots sound like animals.. they are really lovely children on they're own.. they just don't have any social skills yet maybe.

Oh well i will let you all know when things start improving and thanks for all you're replies

• Hi there, Jake went through a stage of snatching toys and pushing or hitting.  It wasn't all the time and it was different children.  Jake hated girls with a pony tail or bunches and always tried to pull them!   I got v upset by all this for hurting others.  I would tell him off but some would say he was too young.  He was about 2 yrs old.  He's much better now though and loves childrens company. Some said it was just a phase and others gave me evils.  I stopped going to toddler groups but wished I hadn't as it's lonely here with not many friends. 

Things have improved in the last few months now that he can talk loads more. 

lol. xx

• hi

George is 19mths and for the past couple of weeks has started hitting, throwing, biting etc.

I come down to his level hold up my pointer finger and say in a sturn voice no thats naughty. If he does it again he goes to the naughty corner/step (depending where we are) When the minute is up i ask him to say sorry (he cant he just babbles) but he also gives that person/me a hug and kiss. Thankfully it seems to be few and far between, he understands what i am saying and i think it is just a phase.

good luck with the other parents, different things work for different people obviously but dont stop going...................................... you need your sanity!!