Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Help....Daughter bangs head against walls at night.

My 2 year old daughter use to sleep well but...... now she bangs her head against walls at night and rocks her self to sleep. I have tried everything but nothing seems to work but surround her walls in her bedroom with stuff so she can't bang her head.
Does anyone out there have any ideas or have had a problem with there child...please let me know i would appericiate it and so will the neighbours.

Replies

• Options
    Poor little mite...........something must be playing on her mind............Does she do this in her sleep? if so i would go and see your gp with her he can refer her to a sleep clinic...........does she attend nursery? or had any kind of upset in her life? does she not get along with someone she see's on the days she does this? the strangest things can play on a childs mind and show when they sleep..........sometimes it can be the smallest thing.................or somethings that you probably wouldnt even relate to being a problem (well not for a grown up anyway)..............my eldest from the age of 6months had night terrors, which they said was down to such a traumatic birth, who'd have thought that something 6 months before could trigger sleep problems.................my 2nd daughter used to bang her head against the wall when she was awake in a temper tantrum, but she knew how far to go before she'd hurt herself..................I think its defo one for the doctor............even if she's awake when she does this maybe she needs to see a child councellor to get to the bottom of it

Good luck
  • Options
    hiya my little sister use to do that from about 2-4years old. my parents brought her to child therapy, speech therapy everything and in the end it turned out she had some sort of autism. it was basically she could tell us what she wanted to say, or that she didnt understand or couldnt think of the words to say, and thats why she did it. she got worse before better because she did it during the day too. Apparently helping them with their words or trying to guess what they are tryting to say can make them more fustrated. so we were given the advise to sit and pay full attention to her everytime she even opened her mouth to encourage her that we wanted to hear. We also bought her little flash cards and if she went to bang her head we would pick her up and sit with her and the flash cards and after a while she started doing it herself, and eventually she started to ask what the word was she couldnt remember or crasp. we cant shut her up now. so it obviously worked.