Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

how do i stop my 19 month old daughter screaming

my daughter is 19 months old and she is always screaming i dont mean crying i mean high pitched screaming nothing i do can get her to stop and its driving me mad any suggestions ??

Replies

• Probably frustration at a lack of words and will improve when she can express herself with talking.

If the screaming gets what she wants she'll do it next time,maybe there's something of that too.I have a toddler who willoften cry instead of saying what she wants,actually she's just screamed at her sister to get what she wants.I'm working on making her say what it is she wants rather than screaming.I know sometimes I just give her what she wants without her asking nicely which probably makes it worse

• My youngest makes a noise that quite honestly only dogs should hear! It's awful.

I join in-he shuts up for a while. It's a game in our house who can scream the loudest-I'm reigning champ at the mo-anything for peace and quiet!!!

I've even imatated him at playgroup-girl sitting next to me wasn't impressed but my Lo was quiet!!!!!!

Have you tried ignoring her? Very hard I know when your ear drums are bursting!!!

• im in the scream back club, worked on the eldest, whereas my youngest, well, lost cause, nothing bothers her, ive managed to tune out now, shes always making some kind of racket, whinging, screaming, hammering, shouting, i can now listen to music in my head whenever i fancy lol!
  • Kneel down to their height and ask them to tell you what they would like. They're frustrated and so are you so remember patience, patience and patience! Whatever you do now will show them a template of how to behave.

If its a temper scream I walk away from my son into another room, he soon learnt that screaming just doesnt provide anything!