Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

tantrums!

following on from my previous thread...

how do you deal with toddler tantrums? Is the best thing to do to ignore them? what about when you're in public? This is happening more and more to us and i'm getting annoyed with the looks from people (with children themselves) that I've got this week.

LO had a tantrum at lunchtime as he didn't want the food i'd put in front of him. i ignored the tantrum but did talk to him normally but it didn't work. any advice anyone?

xx

Replies

• We started of by completely ignoring DS1 (now 2 1/2)when he had a tantrum - no talking to him at all, just carried on doing whatever we were doing.

Now he understands more we ask him to stop, then if he continues warn him that he'll have to go to his room to calm down & then start counting. He knows that if we get to 3 he'll be put in his room & normally stops by 2.
  • Hi ya

Lily is definitely trying her luck with me constantly, to be honest she doesnt really eat enough to keep a sparrow alive but I really dont have the energy to fight with her over it because at the end of the day I cant force her to eat. Some days however she will eat a huge meal and she would happily eat mangos all day so I guess that is something. It seems really normal for toddlers. Does H not eating affect anything else, like his sleep? If it doesnt I would try not to worry too much. If Lily doesnt eat anything I some times give her some vitamins although not sure how effective they are.

The last few days she has almost driven me crazy with naughtiness, it is the smacking and kicking (whilst I am changing her) that have tipped me other the edge! I put her in her room today and left her to cry. I was getting her ready for a nap and she kept kicking me, I kept telling her no (firmly) but she just laughed and did it more. So I put her in her cot, said sleep tight, left the room and closed the door. She burst into tears, i returned within 10 secs and gave her a cuddle and told her she must not hurt mummy, she turned back into my lovely Lily again. Not sure whether I should have handled it like that and need to find a better way of dealing with it, but I was about to lose it with her it was probably the right thing to do at the time ; (. Not sure how to handle it? If she was a bit older I could communicate things better, but I feel like at the moment she doesnt really get it?

Not sure if this has helped but I really to understand how testing these times are! x
  • yes it does help, Labs, thanks. I think you did the right thing - what else could you have done? I sometimes leave the room, count to 10 and walk back in a bit calmer! i sometimes get down to his eye level, say "no" really sharply, "that hurts mummy!". Sometimes he laughs and sometimes he cries so i'm not sure he gets it either.

So far H's not eating has not affected his sleep so i can only assume he's just not hungry. he's sick today so it could also have been that brewing as well, of course.

xx