Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour

HELP! Tantrums

Hello

Not been on BE for a while but really really need your help! I have a 15 month old who is having the worst toddler tantrums ever and I am not sure how to deal with them.

If he sees something he wants and can't have, or if he gets frustrated that something in his way for example, he completely goes off on one. He throws himself back and screams and screams and screams and stomps round the house screaming. I am trying to be consistent with saying 'no', and I try to ignore the tantrums rather than panda to them, but I am just not sure whether or not I am doing the right thing as they seem to be getting worse rather than better. Today has been the worst day by far, ever nappy change, every mealtime if I don't get it to him just quick enough - I am completely worn out and at a loss on what to do.

Help please!!

Thanks

Replies

• We have the same and its perfectly normal. If she has a tantrum and I'm holding her then I just calmly put her on the floor after saying no and let her scream and scream, she now realises that she gets nowhere and its wasted energy so doesnt last too long (at the beg it could last quite a while tho!!), or if she is throwing herself about and likely to do some harm to herself I tell her to calm down or I will put her in her cot, then I put her in her cot if she doesnt calm down. At least then I know she is safe, and now she does understand cause she stops crying and cuddles into me before we get to her cot!! x
  • Hi, if my little girl has one I completely ignore her and walk away or if out, take her to a quiet spot. I also use the naughty step, in saying that though I haven't had to use it for so long as the threat of it is usually enough. They have a right to express themselves and of course it is hard for them to understand why they can't do what they want but in the same vein, we are the parents and in charge. My dd is 2 1/2 and rarely has them now she can talk and understand so I think it's just a phase. Stay strong!
  • the baby whisperer lady says this is fine, i follow her toddler book advice.

she says its the child not being able to understand or control their emotions (not being naughty at this age, she says deliberate naughtiness doesnt really begin till 2 yrs or so) and that we have to 'help' them control themselves or work through it with them, so yes ignoring him and letting him vent his frustration is good.

imogen threw a wobbly for the first time in asda the other day, she didnt want to leave, so i let her paddy for a while and then scooped her up and left.

eventually he'll learn to control his frustration more and be able to deal with things not going his way, tantrums are a toddlers way of being mad verbally as they cant communicate.

xxx