Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

17 month old finding life a struggle

hi I love my baby girl so very much and we are very close to each other, she is very attached and clingy with me alwasy wants me alll the time. she will go to daddy but for only short periods of time and is happy to play on her own she loves to play with her sister they the best of friends and idolise each other. her mental capasity is very good and that we can do a lot, she can point to things when she wants something and knows her own mind. she can say loads of words but cant string a sentance together. she cant walk yet and is understand so very much she is under the physio and the consultant plus the bone and muscle expert at the childrens hospital but the past 17 months have been very hard. She been i hospital 6 times we always at the doctors or hospital for appoinments and she is now starting to get to where she hates going there, understandable, she gets ill all the time we let her have her independance she is very happy baby but winjy too. she seems to be struggling with life though, little things upset her she always just wants a cuddle she sleeps very well at leats 10 to 11 hours at night pluse a 2 hour nap during the day she is happy to just sit and watch life pass on by :hmmm  I was just wondering if there is anything at all that i can do with her to help her with things, help her to stop finding life such a struggle, any advice at all is and i'll be gratfull xx

Replies

• Hi Rachael,

I work for MFM, and while I don't have any personal experience of the issues you're dealing with, I just wanted to post and sympathise. You sound like a very loving mum and I'm sure you're doing everything possible to make sure your daughter is OK. For what it is worth, despite her hospital visits and the challenges she has faced, your daughter sounds like she is affectionate and loving, not unhappy.  I would take it as a good sign that she sleeps so well, it says to me that she feels safe and content.   I hope some other mums will be along soon who can offer some more advice though, I know how worrying parenthood can be.

Take care,

Tara

x

• aw thank you tara that made me feel just a little bit better about things x

• Hi Rachael, Just to let you know I posted a summary on your post to our mums on our Facebook page, who had the following feedback - hope you're managing to stay positive! Very best wishes x
    • Sarah Boother CampbellHas she had her hips checked ?? Also,seek out the help of your health visitor, there not there just for when they are babies ?? just a couple of ideas ?? Chin up, it will work out xx Friday at 5:18pm · "}"Like
    •     Michele GordonNot sure what the advice should be on.....I can only offer the fact that both of my children only started walking when they were 18 months old. Friday at 5:53pm · "}"Like
    •     Rafia Shahzadmy sister's son walked independently at 19 months... Friday at 6:05pm · "}"Like
    •     Amy JohnsonMy little guy is still refusing to walk at nearly 15 months, not sure what other advice we could give though. Remember babies don't grow when they have a cold so if sickness has been predominant this year she might just have a bit of catching up to do on the growth before she thinks about walking. Friday at 10:41pm
  • So sorry to hear that you are having a rough patch. My 2 year old has a kidney problem so we go to see doctors a lot and she hates it. I was advised to give her a treat after a visit to the doctors or maybe give her a little pressie or an extra cuddle so that she can assoicate hospitals with something positive. 

Other thing, find other parents that are going through difficult times and maybe meet up if possible. There's nothing like talking to someone who really understands.

Don't forget it's only a stage which will pass. I know myself that motherhood can be bittersweet (especially if there are health issues).

Irene