Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My 3 year old wont speak

Hello im a little concern about my daughters behavior she turn 3 this april and she just screams non stop if she dnt have it her way ..and shell throw herself to the floor and screams even louder..it got to the point wen we had to leave from stores cuz she wouldnt stop screaming iv tried ignoring her till she gets the hint tht its not okey ... Any one have some advice on how i could teach her other ways on communicating with me also she dosent use her words as often

Replies

• Hiya, I have just posted about my LO misbehaving so not sure my advice is the best... I no you would prefer her to talk but what about cards with photos of things she may want? (E.g. drink, food etc) if u keep them on you you could ask her what she wants with her picking the card? Kust am idea... my daughter has no problems talking her attitude is actually quite a problem atm... good luck 

• When going round the stores you could distract her by playing a game form of a shopping list, get her to help you fetch the tomatoes or mayo and this may occupy her and stop her from being bored - lets face it I get bored with doing the food shopping too!! This will also get her reading the list of foods and hopefully develop her saying them more often.

I am sure it is fine and she will soon be better as she gets older, but if you are really concern maybe check is out with the doctor - there is no harm in it and they may suggest other techniques.

Children learn through your pronunciation of words and lip movements, when toddlers they communicate and understand each others murmurs. Perhaps being around other children more could help her?

Hope this helps!!

• I didn't understand she can't speak at all or just don't want to do this? If the first one if right, I don't think that you should worry about this, it's ok for many children in fact. For example, I started to speak when I was in the same age.