Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Almost 3 year old is very obsessive over toys

Hi all, 

I was hoping if I could get an idea of whether my daughters behaviour is normal. She is 2yrs and 10months but this behaviour has been happening for at least a year now. She gets a toy, at the moment its her doll and becomes obsessed with how it is, it's blanket has to be on it just right, it's soap needs to be with it and if it's not she screams in disparate and is really distraught, if it moves in the night and she wakes and notices it I'm woken up by a blood curdling scream. I feel so helpless for her because sometimes even when I've tucked the doll in and it looks how it usually does she'll be adamant it's not right and keep crying/screaming. Any advice on how to help her would be appreciated and even just reassurance that other 2/3 year old do this. My heart is breaking for her it really stresses her out. Thank you

Replies

• This is normal for toddlers. They become obsessed with what they possess. Usually they don't want to share their stuff with anyone. My 3 year old has the same tendency to take the best care possible for his action figures. 

I think you should keep rotating her toys or dolls with new ones so she doesn't stuck with one toy. It would calm her obsession with one specific toy as well. 

• Thank you so much and that is a great idea. Really helpful. Xx

• Maybe to her that doll means security now. Was there any big change in the life of her lately?