Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Toddler that Bites

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on how to manage biting. I have twins that are 2, twin 1 frequently uses biting when angry. It is becoming an major issue as he is also biting other children in his childcare setting.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Replies

• Bite him back. Not hard but enough to know that it hurts.

When my daughter started biting I just bit her back once on the hand and she never did it again.

• Many toddlers go through a “biting stage.” Toddlers bite their Mommies and Daddies, or maybe toddlers bite other children. The parents of children who are bitten become fierce defenders of their children. Their “I’ve got to protect my child” response can easily come across as “Your child is bad,” and can set off emotional waves that parents of the biter and the bitten are poorly equipped to handle. But, sometimes toddlers bite, this commonplace behaviour has nothing to do with how “good” a child is, or how well he is parented. 

Tensions involved when toddlers bite can arise from things that have recently happened. The birth of a sibling, the absence of a parent, witnessing violence on TV, a change in caregivers, or moving from one apartment to another are the kinds of things that can cause a child to bite.

A toddler having feelings that are being expressed in biting isn’t the fault of the parent, or of the toddler. Biting is like a runny nose: it’s common, it’s not fun for the child or the parents, and it can affect other children adversely, but it’s not the sign that anyone is “bad.”