Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour

What is my son going through? Melt down at 3.

Hi ladies, 
My son was 3 in April. I felt like we were getting into a good routine and finally life had settled after 3 years of no sleeping, tantrums etc.. 

For the last 2/3 weeks life has been torturous!
Don’t get me wrong Ralph is no wall flower but he has manners and discipline (at times) and is generally a happy toddler. 

He has turned into the devil child. 
- waking at 5am 
- manic 24/7 no chance of downtime or naps. 
- rude/snappy unnecessary tantrums 
-hate everyone that isn’t granny. 
-violent 
-did a poo on the floor this morning !!! He has been toilet trained for months. 
-demanding sweets etc more then usual 
-loss of appetite unless junk food.

please help,  trying to ride it out as I know it’s a phase but crying around 3 times a day. I’m sure the heat hasn’t helped 

thanks xx

Replies

• Do you think he's frustrated about something? My nephew was like this, and he would do dirty protests like pooing on the floor too, as it would get a rise out of his mum. He was also incredibly frustrated as a he was a late talker, so he struggled articulating his needs. 
    Has there been any changes at home that could have unsettled him? Is he in nursery or childcare situ changed somehow? Also, is he too young for a sticker reward chart? 
    Try not to rise the situations, maybe he's craving attention - sorry, lots of ifs and buts here, and it will pass, but it can be painful while you're living it. 
    PS my daughter dropped her nap around this time, so maybe overtiredness is a thing too.