Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

14 month baby girl-nothing is easy

We have a 14 months baby girl which is so difficult to parent. When we go to a restaurant, she screams, she has to alwas have food in her hands/mouth otherwise she will scream (in the highchair). If you hold her on your knees, she will not stay. If in general we go somewhere, she will not sit quietly in our arms unless we move or walk. If we put her on the back or want to chill together laying down, in second 2 she will jump up and want to leave. She seems like she's never relaxed. What hurts the most is that when we are not home and she is tired I want to hold her and confort her but she pushes me away with an arm, it's like she feels trapped when we wanna hug her. This was always like that and I do not know what I did wrong to make her be like that. I know that now she is in the exploring stage, but she was always like that, didn't find confort and struggle in cradle position as a baby, fights cuddles, never lays down relaxed with us in the bed. It's difficult because we were hoping it will change but still nothing. I never gave up and always tried to show her affection and cuddle her for her to learn that is something nice, but why doesn't feel natural for her to cuddle or hug, like other kids do?

Replies

• For the first half of your message, that sounds like a normal baby to me. I know mine went through that phase. He's 2 and a half now. He was so easy to be out n about with, then he was a nightmareW, Wouldkick up after 5 mins. He's fine now again. It's hard but hopefully she'll get through that pbase for you too.

I only have one child, so I'm not sure about the not wanting cuddles. This might be normal for some babies. But for peace of mind, I'd talk to a professional who can advise you on whether or not her behaviour us typical. It doesn't sound like you have done anything wrong, it's just the way your little girl is.